How to Sell 3 Black Walnut Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shep67

Reaction score
I have 3 black walnut trees and would like to know how to sell them. The biggest one is 61 inches round, 3 feet off the trunk. It is pretty straight. I need to get rid of them as soon as possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have 3 black walnut trees and would like to know how to sell them. The biggest one is 61 inches round, 3 feet off the trunk. It is pretty straight. I need to get rid of them as soon as possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Are they cut down yet??...do you have a way to get them to the mill??.....if no, there not worth anything

If one has a knothole and you supply Kentucky Jelly one of the Keebler boys might be interested.

buck, split, stack, season and deliver....

'round here about $185 a cord ....

LOL i have arrived at black walnut jobs that the customer thinks i should remove and pay to do so even after i have given an estimate for removal.
I start packing up and inform the person the value is only firewood and black walnut isn't great one just ok.

Then a few weeks later i always seem to get a call to return to the same location with an additional 100$ on my estimate since i spent time and fuel on my first visit.

Oh, how I wish I'd had this thread to read awhile back when I sold a walnut. It was a big, gnarly beast with ivy all over it, but the owner was (of course) convinced that it was a gold mine. Well, it was about 1000 board-feet cut and bucked, and I couldn't get anybody to come pick it up after I dropped it. I finally found someone who would take it, but I had to deliver it myself. I towed it on a car-hauler trailer, 300 bf at a time (green walnut is heavy), pulled behind a barely-roadable 3/4 ton van, about 100 miles each way, 3 loads. All said and done I think I'm out about a hundred bones, maybe broke even, I dunno. Don't care too much, as I signed on to the project for the learnin', not for the money. I learned plenty, mostly this simple lesson: "You aren't likely to get rich selling walnut trees out of people's yards". Also, "Ivy is a gigantic pain in the ass."

madhatte,

I think every saw chuck could learn a lesson from your lesson.
Until you hit the mill it's a gold mine with a few snags :)

I've taken my lumps on walnut as well, and I had to learn the hard way that 61" circumference is smallish. The small end of that log is only going to be 14" or so inside the bark? If you're lucky? In my area that size log might bring a buck fifty per BF if it were a spectacular specimen, but I doubt it. Walnut gets dinged hard for any imperfection. Nowhere near a "goldmine". They gotta get up over 20" inside the bark, and be really pretty, before the better money starts kicking in. Then you could be looking at two dollars per foot on log over 100BF. You'd better have a semi load of 'em if you want to make a couple house payments. Sorry to be another bubble burster.

serial feller,

You got it, they must be very big very straight and lots of them to make it worth doing.
Homeowners should think about big equipment damage even if the have many such trees, the yard repair bill can be similar to the wood $.

The sad part is i bet your 61" tree had a value of 200-300$ in firewood Vs taking it to the mill for maybe 120$ less fuel and time.

haveawoody,

I wasn't implying that walnut wasn't worth doing. A logger can make a decent wage, but the LO never gets what what he wants, because he doesn't know what it's worth. For example I did a job this past summer for a man on 5 acres. He has some fairly nice straight walnut trees, ranging from 12" to 20". I cut about 2500 BF of walnut and another 2000 BF of white oak off of his property. My buyer came out and valued it all at $3200.00. My contract was written as a 50/50 split. Working by myself using small equipment and skidding each 8 foot log individually the job took me 5 days in 102 degree August heat. I burned about 7 gallons of fuel through my tractor and a couple in the saw. With little overhead $1600.00 isn't a bad wage for a weeks work, and I worked my arse off to earn it. The LO was PISSED when he got a check for $1600.00. I had to deal with his equally PISSED wife when she called two days later, demanding answers as to why she didn't have several thousand dollars more. Guess I got the goldmine and they got the shaft? If you ask them that's what happened.

For me walnut is worth doing. I'd take a $1600.00 week every time. :clap: Too bad it doesn't usually work out that way.

Back