How to take this down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one isn't so bad, because it appears that the ends are down enough where you can get at them. Whenever we have a broken piece hanging up in the air, we call that a "widow maker" (around here, anyways).

The "widow makers" need to be controlled, so rope them to control the fall. You should be able to throw a rope over the top and tie it off. If these pieces are controlled, then you can probably go after the trunk.

I had a huge one that was hung up in another tree at a thirty degee angle, and the break was about 25 feet up the tree. If I didn't have a dozer, I would not have attempted it, and I would have just waited for it to rot and fall.

I have used a ladder before, but only for very light limb/ pruning work. I would not cut a tree like this off a ladder. There are too many unknowns and variables. No way to survey the situation and remove all risk. By the looks of it, it is not really that important that the tree come down. No need to risk your life over it.

Latest posts

Back