how to test 032AV ignition coil for resistance values

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gatorsby7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a 032AV points/condenser saw with a no spark condition. i want to resistance test the coil, but not 100% sure how to do it correctly and what the range of acceptable values are for primary and secondary? second question is on on/off switch. i'm assuming "off" breaks continuity between wire from points to coil.....is that correct?

IMG_0979.jpg

ok. thanks for clearing up how the kill switch grounds out the ignition. so the path to ground for the kill switch must be in how it mounts on the metal case.

ok. thanks for clearing up how the kill switch grounds out the ignition. so the path to ground for the kill switch must be in how it mounts on the metal case.
On saws with metal outer cases that are connected somehow to the engine block the switch can self ground, on saws with full AV and those with plastic material covers the switch will have a wire from it to a good ground as plus the wire from the coil , the switch closes and provides a circuit to ground. Some saws like Stihl will have a bit more complicated switch type but its still just a switch that closes contacts in reality. If the wire from the coil happens to get grounded out before reaching the switch then most times the coil will not fire the plug, hence its usually a good suggestion to disconnect the switch and or trace the wire`s path from the coil to the switch when a coil is not producing high voltage spark.

i tested continuity between the end of the wire and the coil and it's good. that's a good a point about it possibly grounding out by touching the case, but the wire looks good so I don't think that is happening. I guess I'm going to have to test the coil if someone can provide instructions and values. thanks for your help.

Back