How would you cut this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if they are nice and hollow like that maybe set a nice hot fire in the trunk and burn it down, make sure there is lots of fuel in there, OR if you have an excavator dig up the roots on the upper side of the lean and let the whole tree fall

Oh and keep your kids and dog at least 15 feet away from it....

If it were me - I'd lose that first limb off to the left. That crack at the base by the trunk looks kind of unstable. Not a big fan of cutting from a ladder but that is not too onerous. Minus the weight of that limb puts the weight distribution in a more normal state. Then just drop it with a good notch cut but pay real close attention to what it's doing as you get near the critical cut. Wedges would work to your advantage in this situation to help steer it even though you have plenty of room around the tree.

The one tree I had like that (and not nearly as bad)...I sized it up. Then went over to my neighbor Henry and for the first time in 13 years asked him for a favor (I'm a pretty stubborn do-it-yourself guy) and he was over with his backhoe a half hour later. And even then we were nervous as cats and careful with our cuts until we figured out the wood at the base was very solid and well below the rot.

From the pics in your tree, I'm not sure I'd even trust just a backhoe. Some chains bound around the trunk to prevent a barber chair and an excavator to make sure it falls in the intended direction would make me much happier :D

By the way I've had a decent size (18" DBH?) tree barber chair on me once. I never want to experience that again!

Last edited:
Also, times like this makes me wish it was still the 1960s and you could buy Dynamite in the local hardware store like our grandparents could.

Problem...solved.

Well, it pains me to say I'm backing down from this one. Sitting on my 4 wheeler next to the tree. Too many ways for it to go bad that I can't mitigate.
Glad I brought it up here and thought it over. Thanks for all the voices of reason!

Now I'm gonna take out my frustration on some " safe" trees. :)

Well, it pains me to say I'm backing down from this one. Sitting on my 4 wheeler next to the tree. Too many ways for it to go bad that I can't mitigate.
Glad I brought it up here and thought it over. Thanks for all the voices of reason!

Been there, done that. That tree will aggravate you every time you go by it, until the day the wind tips it over, then it's sweet chips flying revenge time.

Also, times like this makes me wish it was still the 1960s and you could buy Dynamite in the local hardware store like our grandparents could.

Problem...solved.
Back in the good old days. Bought by percent.
Shattering, stumping, ditching. Dupont or Atlas.

Good decision. :msp_thumbup:

Doesn't look that tough to me. I'd start at the gap and cut a bit more than half way thru on one side, then do the same on the other side of the gap til its even with the other cut then i'd cut straight along the back solid part of the tree connecting the two previous cuts. When it starts to go run like hell. Leaning that way so it shouldnt be hard.

The fact you asked how to do it makes me think you might want to have someone else do it. I've done plenty of similar trees but there is no way I could tell you how to do it just seeing pictures. It is a dangerous tree. I specialize in "difficult" trees and this one seems easy to me (no houses, power lines...). Nevertheless, even though I make a living cutting such trees (and also teach it) there is no way to tell over the Internet. If you don't feel it, call a pro. If there's plenty of room, it shouldn't cost much. I'm too far (!!!) but you might be able to find someone (certified) to do it on this forum.

Has anyone had one barber chair in half a second?

TWICE... and both were hollow trees like those.

The first one was a huge oak. After barber-chairing at what seemed like lightning speed, it put the trunk teetering some 15 feet in the air just long enough for me to run before it came crashing to the ground. When it did the huge branches acted like levers causing it to roll and twist, sweeping the trunk around and hooking me on the backside as I ran. It knocked me down and ripped the back of my jacket wide open... it settled to a stop about 6 feet past me.

The second one was a big pine. It happened so fast I was still bent over in the cut when it hooked me in the chest and lifted me off the ground. I landed about 6-8 feet behind the tree against a rotten log, and the pine crashed down directly on my saw (a 2 week old 024) making it a total loss. Dad was there (I was helping him up at the summer lake home), he had grabbed my belt and yanked back as the tree was lifting me... I don't know what would have happened if he hadn't. I was a pretty young man at the time and still thought I was bullet-proof... but I walked hunched over for several days after that. It was the first thing in my life that got me thinking maybe I was mortal after all.

Man... I hate hollow trees.

The fact you asked how to do it makes me think you might want to have someone else do it. I've done plenty of similar trees but there is no way I could tell you how to do it just seeing pictures. It is a dangerous tree. I specialize in "difficult" trees and this one seems easy to me (no houses, power lines...). Nevertheless, even though I make a living cutting such trees (and also teach it) there is no way to tell over the Internet. If you don't feel it, call a pro. If there's plenty of room, it shouldn't cost much. I'm too far (!!!) but you might be able to find someone (certified) to do it on this forum.

Its just an old tree in the middle of the woods, so no worth paying for.
Out of curiosity, how would you go about it? Keep in mind no heavy equipment can get to it. Ropes, wedges, and a saw.

The first one was a huge oak. After barber-chairing at what seemed like lightning speed, it put the trunk teetering some 15 feet in the air just long enough for me to run before it came crashing to the ground. When it did the huge branches acted like levers causing it to roll and twist, sweeping the trunk around and hooking me on the backside as I ran. It knocked me down and ripped the back of my jacket wide open... it settled to a stop about 6 feet past me.

The second one was a big pine. It happened so fast I was still bent over in the cut when it hooked me in the chest and lifted me off the ground. I landed about 6-8 feet behind the tree against a rotten log, and the pine crashed down directly on my saw (a 2 week old 024) making it a total loss. Dad was there (I was helping him up at the summer lake home), he had grabbed my belt and yanked back as the tree was lifting me... I don't know what would have happened if he hadn't. I was a pretty young man at the time and still thought I was bullet-proof... but I walked hunched over for several days after that. It was the first thing in my life that got me thinking maybe I was mortal after all.

Dang! You're lucky!
I'm just reaching that mortal phase too. Suprised I made it this far! (36)

View attachment 267758

Here is one I did in September it isn't as big as that one you have but this one spon on the stump about 45 degrees when it came down and fell in the direction I wanted it too. The rotten area on this stump you cant see it (it's on the back side)

This was and Alder on and old diary farm and most of the trees I took at this place this summer were just like this

It depends on the lean how I would cut it

Its just an old tree in the middle of the woods, so no worth paying for.
Out of curiosity, how would you go about it? Keep in mind no heavy equipment can get to it. Ropes, wedges, and a saw.

I would try to find the right direction in order to have an equal amount of "good" wood on the sides of the rotten center as a hinge. Can not tell from the pictures if I would use a winch. As I often teach, "each tree is different". You need to "study" the tree. Consider both the lean and the rot. I sometimes use my increment core borer to check if I have enough "good" wood. In any case, I carefully watch how the tree is acting while doing the back cut. Always ready to back out.
As I previously said, there is no way to tell seeing a few pictures. I might have a totally different opinion if I was in front of the tree.

Thank you all for your input and advise.

A couple points I'd like to clear up-
-I did not " come to an internet forum asking how" to do this. I should have been more clear. I was looking for anyone who had dropped a tree in this condition and how it went for them. I almost cut the one in the first picture yesterday but ran outa daylight.
- the tree is pretty solid, not punky. yes you can see punkyness inside but I've beat on em with my axe and they're pretty solid
- the trees do have leaves in summer
-screw the bats and squirrles, they don't heat my house:msp_wink: serioulsy though, I live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by hundreds or thousands of woodland
-the tree with my daughters in I probably won't try, it was just an example. Most aren't that bad which is why I want to get em down before they get so far gone.
-I'm always looking up when cutting:msp_thumbup:

My thought is that I fully expect that dropping that tree will have issues. I plan for the worst case scenario. I've had trees barber chair but watched them from a distance as I saw it start. Has anyone had one barber chair in half a second?
I was going to use a 5000lb rachet strap around it in case things go south, that will at least slow the proccess not stop it.

I will think on my plan some more.

You know, bats & squirrels throw off some pretty good BTU's!:msp_w00t:

Seriously, Be proud to say.."this ones's not for me." Have a few beers with friends & family and live to die another day.

I would try to find the right direction in order to have an equal amount of "good" wood on the sides of the rotten center as a hinge. Can not tell from the pictures if I would use a winch. As I often teach, "each tree is different". You need to "study" the tree. Consider both the lean and the rot. I sometimes use my increment core borer to check if I have enough "good" wood. In any case, I carefully watch how the tree is acting while doing the back cut. Always ready to back out.
As I previously said, there is no way to tell seeing a few pictures. I might have a totally different opinion if I was in front of the tree.

Thanks for the input. I do realize nobody can say for sure based on a couple pics.
I see you're in the Alps. Cool! I lived in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany for a few years right on the German/Austrian border. Spent alot of time skiing all over the Alps but never made it over to France. I sure miss it there!

Thanks for the input. I do realize nobody can say for sure based on a couple pics.
I see you're in the Alps. Cool! I lived in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany for a few years right on the German/Austrian border. Spent alot of time skiing all over the Alps but never made it over to France. I sure miss it there!

Hope my advice helps... I lived in New Jersey, New York, Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick (and California). Often traveled across Vermont (hiking trips) and sure do miss it! Would love to retire there one day...

Thank you all for your input and advise.

Has anyone had one barber chair in half a second?

Yes. More than once.

A tree like yours can also slab out or 'chair at an angle. Barber chairs don't always go straight back and when they come at you on an angle they're usually moving so fast that you can't get out of the way.

VTWoodchuck, I won't be offering you advice on how to cut these trees as I do not have thousands of fallings to my credit and there are too many variables that can't be assessed or addressed from your pictures. But I will share that in 30 odd years of recreational cuttting, I have had two significant barber chairs of sound 24"+ oaks - each took just a wink of an eye. And I might add, each was likely triggered by poor cutting technique due to my lack of experience and training. Ron

Sorry but, my geography sucks. Not sure if your state/area has fallers or not. I am lucky that here there are lots of good, experienced fallers. I have a buddy(professional faller) that doesn't charge to drop trees, just loves to Run the saw. Give him gas money an he is happy. Another faller that i know through a family friend charges $25 per tree. Ask around, throw it out there on the forum. Small world an somebody might be able to help you out.

I just love to stand back an watch a pro do it, learn a lot in doing so. I am going to ask my buddy to teach me how to drop trees properly. I will have him there , standing right beside me an telling me what, why an the proper way of doing things. :rock: I want to be around along time, grow old with my kids. Better safe than sorry :msp_biggrin:

... And I might add, each was likely triggered by poor cutting technique due to my lack of experience and training. Ron

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes there are unseen structural flaws in the tree that the faller can't see. Even on a straight healthy trunk there can be internal stress that isn't apparent until the back cut is started.

Wind can be a factor, too. Even a small puff of wind causes movement and stress quite a ways down the tree. You won't always see it but it's there. If you're wedged up tight in the back cut watch the gap between the top of your wedges and the cut. If it starts to widen and close, widen and close, you can bet that there's some major stress at work. We call that "walking the wedges" and if it happens long enough and with enough force the wedges can spit out and the tree will usually come over backwards on you. When that happens you can have a face 'chair, too. They're not common but they happen.

It's not always inexperience that makes things go awry.

Back