How would you deal with this BOSS?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedlineIt

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The operation is the local office of a large international arboricultural company, been in business for ages. This local office is involved in residential and commercial tree work, not the Hydo clearance operations, that is completely separate. No need to identify the company by name here, I'm certain it is a fine company dedicated to advancing the science of arboriculture, while turning a profit. I have no beef with the parent company.

The Head manager of the local office is also a good guy, he has run the place for years, and he holds the contracts on all of their significant commercial contracts. He barely bothers to drum up residential work anymore, he has repeats that call him up. If the residential work gets a bit thin, he can spend five minutes on the phone with his commercial contracts and have work for a crew for the day. Impressive.

BUT, he is looking at an early retirement. His health is not so good. The meds he has to take are diminishing his memory, renders him unable to deal with anything rapidly changing. He can't remember who talked to him about needing new gear, who was hired last, who is due for a raise, and he's not too good at writing things down. Sad, yes, but a fact.

And so the day-to-day is being taken over by, let's just call him the Brown Stool, or BS for short. He was transfered to this office after failing as a manager in another local office after the staff rebelled against him. (They quit in droves.) He was supposed to be just a residential salesman here, but the unfortunate situation of the Head manager has put BS in charge again.

BS has some sort of inferiority complex that makes him be a bully. I have had the opportunity to talk to people who have known him all his life, and he has been a bully since his days in elementary school on the playground. While he is a fairly big fellow, he is fat and slow, and wit goes straight over his head. He is ISA certified as an arborist, and he also has a diploma in horticulture from a good college.

I believe the fact that he is now "in charge" of fit and trim arborists who work the trees and do the challenging physical things we do has overstimulated his inferiority complex and has resulted in some of the experiences which follow.

Whew, stage is set for the good stuff.

BS met me on site while I was still just setting up and clearing the property of breakables for work. From fifty feet away he comes striding up, bellowing:

"Just get your f*cking c*nt up the goddaamn tree, I want some f*cking wood on the ground!"

In fact, I have heard this phrase more than once from BS. People are interested when a tree crew shows up, they want to watch. I have seen children withdrawn by parents and heard windows closing after one of BS's rants.

Also, BS changes his commands without thinking about what he last said. It is impossible to please a boss who can't make up his mind. I'll give one example of what happens on a weekly, sometimes daily basis:

Someone must have tweaked an 020 while using it on the ground. BS calls a morning meeting to announce: "Your f*cking 020's are a climbing tool you p*ssies! Can't you useless f*cks handle a 044! If I ever catch one of you using an 020 to buck sh*t up, you'll be sent home a day without pay!"

Now I can actually get behind such a sentiment. It made sense to me.

But inside of a few days this:

Employee: "This work order calls for a removal. I won't be able to finish it."

BS: "And why the **** not?"

Employee: "I have no ground saw. I have told you for days now that you do not have enough equipment to run four crews."

BS: "It's a small tree, you *sshole! Just use your 020! It's a f*cking no-brainer, idiot!"

Now this is just to give you a taste of the joy it is to work for this man. I can handle the put-downs, his misplaced sense of personal worth. If he drives away business with his foul mouth, dripping a wad of chaw, I don't care, I have options.

But finally there is this. BS handed me a work order with his usual flair, tossing it at me so that it fluttered and I either have to catch it or let it drop to the floor.

BS: "Deadwood this Dougie and the Grand Fir, first branch is sixty foot up, so just spur 'em."

Me: "Spur a live prune? Look, I could toss in and climb my rope, it wouldn't take much longer.."

BS: (Interrupting me) "I've bid low, and you've got lots of other jobs today. Just f*cking spur it, and make me a happy man."

Me: "Look I know you've said we do topping because that is what the customer wants, and if we don't do it someother hack-wad will anyway, I can buy that, but this you know is just wrong!"

BS: "Just spur the f*cking tree would you! Why did we hire you if you won't follow orders?"

--------------------

So, I have gotten lots of advice from friends in the industry as how to deal or work around this fool.

There have been some great threads on this board on dealing with poor employee performance, and I thought I would put this one out there.

Suggestions I have received elsewhere suggest that this man should not even retain ISA standing if he recommends spurring prunes to employees.

Your thoughts?

RedlineIt

Wow.....what an a-hole; If you are employed by a rather large corporation, that employs him, cant you file a grievance???

Sounds like he is putting on a show. Try giving a little bit back to him. Tell him to watch his f'ing mouth around the customers.

He'll blow his cool and that's fine. As long as he knows you mean it, things might improve. If he's all in your face, and slow and fat like you say, then you have one free shot. Make it count. Hard as you can up under his ribs. Launch yourself baby.

You are welcome.

P.S. - If you're small, do this with others around who have your back. If you blow it they can break it up if before he tears you apart.

I don't permit people to curse at me. I haven't been an employee in a long time but that has always held true- customer's aren't allowed to yell curses at me either. I would confront him. If he didn't shape up I'd probably be looking for a job-depending upon my mood I might be thinking about it from a jail cell.

I'd request a transfer, and file a grievance about BS, mentioning that he's driving away business. If that doesn't work, confront him directly, but find another job first. Let the hacks stay there and not care, and let BS see where hacks get him.

I know BS's type! Got fired by such a person once, down to the T. Fat, lazy, slow, and not nearly as knowledgeable as he liked to think he was. I'll call him BS2. Was told I was fired for a certain reason(almost plausible........almost), and that there was nothing to it, company policy, and that I'd still be able to use them as a reference. Several refused applications later, I called BS2's higher ups and found out that it was an intensely personal issue that I had no idea was that big. Guess what kind of reference BS2 was giving me!? Watch your back!

I agree with stumper. I will not allow people to swear at me. tell him you will not tolorate his personal abuse, never mind his appaling work practices. never mind punching him if he gets violent, walk away. if you have to hit him, use a fencing stake or piece of 4x2 :p . sometimes the only thing these types understand is direct confrontation. sad but true

Get your whole crew to put a personal grievance on him, or everyone write a letter that goes higher than him. Sounds like a prize wanker, kinda guy you should take hunting, give him an antler hat to wear though.

Start to document the abuse-times, places, what was said, under what circumstances. Anyone got a cell phone with a camera? Your parent/head office needs to get involved here as it is obvious the local one is not going to solve anything given it is part of the problem. Given your age it is not testosterone fueled on you part I suspect.

I would make it abudantly clear that profanity directed at me is a no go, in fact grounds for a harrassment complaint. I am not sure what the labour laws are like in BC but in some places, harrassment in the workplace is controlled by provincial legislation. Does your company have a policy regarding harrassment?? Many do. When the abuse starts walk away and get back to work-do not give him any reason to invent a reason to take administrative action.

And in the end, if all fails, you have the choice to walk away permanently. I have done this at least three times in my working life after being verbally abused repeatedly. It is just some people's method...there is a very fine line between leadership, and abuse of subordinates, and this guy has definately crossed it.

I read an interesting article in The Toronto Star about bosses the other day...." Psychopaths, glib, charming, clever-often rise to the top in large corporations, where their negative aspects, narcissism and inability to care about others -wreck havoc." This guy sounds like a nut case of the worst kind, and needs to be identified as such. I suspect someone in the org already knows which is the reason this guy was dropped on your office after "wrecking havoc" previously ie someone got rid of a problem child.

You might also want to check out your company's code of ethics and whistleblower policy on line, if I think I know who you are working for.

Last edited:
record the abuse on a dictaphone ,make a log of the abuse ,bad decisions.etc then confront the pratt with it before shoving the lot upstairs,tell him swearing is a no no ,if all else fails smash his face in ,and find another job, you could have some real fun by failing to complete on time due to eqpt shortages etc and really push him over the edge,hes obviously on the back foot in a new job trying to make a name for himself after failing else where ,wind him up ,then some more ,all the time logging and recording,confront him and watch the pillock squirm,

the "c" word and referring to people as "p" is over the top. a grievance is the minimum you should do.

when this happened to me (not in the arborist profession), i consulted an attorney (i was introduced by my female supervisor as a slut in a meeting with vendors-- told it was a term of endearment)...

i am so sorry you are having to endure this... i surmise there aren't other jobs in the area because jobs aren't supposed to be indentured servitude anymore but with the job market the way it is, often feel like it...

Get this pr*ck on tape as many times as you can, & get your co-workers on board. General harassment, sexual harassment, foul language especially in the presence of customers, the list goes on. I wouldn't think (certainly hope not) that the company would tolerate any of the above.

The A-hole may be the person going through the mental masturbation of creating this thread.

This dude is a bully, yet successful reguardless of if he is or isn't and a-hole. That isn't going to change by you whining on Asite. Either live with it and don't take it personal or quit and find something better. I suggest the latter. Sounds like you have to many morals and ethics to waste time working for a fool like that.

Word

TREETX said:
The A-hole may be the person going through the mental masturbation of creating this thread.

This dude is a bully, yet successful reguardless of if he is or isn't and a-hole. That isn't going to change by you whining on Asite. Either live with it and don't take it personal or quit and find something better. I suggest the latter. Sounds like you have to many morals and ethics to waste time working for a fool like that.

Word

Are you bs? :cool:

Another reason I love this job!

In the tree care industry, there are many ways to make something look like an accident. ;) I'd have had his a$$ in the hospital after half the sh!t he said to you.

If this were a small-time operation I'd be all for quitting or confronting this guy, but the large company should work to your advantage here. Document his actions and have more than your word to back you up before filing a grievance. These big companies take very good care of their sales reps, as they are seen as the company's moneymakers... they may very well side against you right or wrong. Good luck, noone deserves this kind of treatment.

I cant belive i just said that,Do what the others recomend or if he says you are too slow tell him to do it himself then sit & have a huge laugh at his expense.

part of the problem you let it happen a second time........now it's common place. you should have confronted him the first time and stopped it then and there. once you let it happen you better expect it to happen. your in a tough spot now to try and reverse that. either he goes or you go, but you 2 will never have a good working relationship.

kf_tree said:
your in a tough spot now to try and reverse that. either he goes or you go, but you 2 will never have a good working relationship.

No true, maybe some true but it can be done. Depends on the caracter you are. You have to see it this way, if it takes some situations, days, weeks, months, years, decades to see/find out that you and ya boss doesnt pass a door at the same time, it will also take that time to straighten things out or even longer. When i worked for 5 years at the company i was really pissed at my boss, i even once kicked his office door out the hinges to get finaly a talk with him. He made appointments and promisses to/with his personel (and me)all the time and after waiting an hour after work he just called and said 'ill speak to you towmorrow'. Djee, next day the same again......So i get fed up with him and took action. Was very funny afterwards as at that time there were 2 other companies bosses in meeting with him :)))) So i spit my words out, told him what my position/vision towards the company was, and let the further actions be taken by him. I was very, very clear about my vision towards his attitude to my colleques and me and my vision on the company and how things where runned or should be runned. After this happening i got (partly)what i wanted and after another 5 years i'm working as assistent manager now. So things can work out but you have to know were you stand and be ready to argument youre grief. As for working with my boss these days, we get along the way that work and colleques benefits the effort ive taken. It didnt change my boss, it changed me so that i work my boss to the point i want him:) instead of keep f*cking myself up.

Ronald

Back