how would you do this job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I wish I could get those prices! and the trees almost on the ground. Wow!

The tree is on the house. That means insurance is more than likely paying for it. In storm effected areas price goes up with demand.

Pretty good price but personally I start at $1600 when the tree is on the house.

Yeah around here most ins companies have a cap at $1000 some up too $1500 for trees and they will not pay for removal.

Around here, insurance usually only pays for the labor to remove the tree from on top of the house.

After it is off the roof, they quit paying. Two bids are often required.

Different policies vary. I have had some where the insurance will only pay $500 total for tree removal from structures. Some where they will pay up to $500 for each instance of limbs or trees on the structure and some who pay total cost of removal. HO is normally required to get up to three competitive bids. However, trees on structure is considered emergency work which rates are higher than normal. I spend a lot of time faxing estimates and dealing with insurance companies doing storm work.

It's also worth mentioning that I have seen the requirements of getting multiple bids relaxed in severely storm damaged areas where it is often difficult to even get a tree service on site in a timely manner. It has been my experience that as long as you give a reasonable estimate the insurance agent will often tell you to go ahead and do it. They do this for a living and know what is reasonable for tree removal. I don't advocate price gouging. I have my rates that I go by and stick to them. I do charge a higher rate for emergency service though and that is to be expected in a large storm damaged area.

I would grind the stump out. Grind the stump and the roots fall off the stump, knock the dirt off the roots back into the hole. All you leave the job with is a few butress roots and the holes basically filled in with the soil and grindings. $1500 is a nice number for that job( for the guy doing it, not the lady),:)it's a fair price if you can get it. Good for you!

$1500 seemed perfect for me....a nice payday for me and an urgent problem solved for her....i just finished making 150 bottles of Chianti and there's one with her name on it.

Her landscaper can take care of making it pretty. if i wanted to do that i'd be one of the other 5,000 landscapers in town.

$1500 seemed perfect for me....a nice payday for me and an urgent problem solved for her....i just finished making 150 bottles of Chianti and there's one with her name on it.

Her landscaper can take care of making it pretty. if i wanted to do that i'd be one of the other 5,000 landscapers in town.

Sounds like a win win to me. Good on ya. :cheers:

Last edited:
The price for trees depends on the area of the country you live in. If you'd "steal" that job from him, it either means you're a low-bidder or wages are cheaper in your neck of the woods. Here in Northern VA, $1,500 would be a low bid on that tree and there's no way someones disposing of that rootball for $200, myself included.

Ok. This might be a little boa####l, but I am really being truthful.

I'd go there with my chipper truck, and I would dispose of the tree. I'd bring along my Bobcat A300, and I would shake that root ball loose, and cut any remaining roots.

I would have stolen that job from you, because I would have probably been cheaper, and I would have brought enough topsoil to fill the hole and re-grade the area.

You should have offered restoration as part of your bid, since the customer will need it, and you would have been there with a machine capable of doing the job. It's probably not too late, consider it an opportunity to "sell up".

same here me and ropensaddle just did 2 big red oaks in lake,one with rootball simalar,everything in dump trailer.done in 3 hours $800
and that one looks a hell of lot easyier probaly 600 here,but good one as long as you got it.

That is strange. boa####l. b o a s t f u l.

I wonder why that would be censored?

It's ironic because we were talking about trade jargon last time and S T F U is text/messenger jargon for shut the f**k up!

It's weird that it should edit from within a word though. It must have offended too many of the wrong people.

bringing soil

This is a great option for consumers, 'cause they get it all done right then and there, and its another service you to offer/a little more earned each removal.

Just about everytime I have a stump removed, the wood mulch is recycled (usually by the client) and I have the hole filled with top soil, and then a little grass patch sprinkled on it...

also, oftentimes they hire us to replace the tree!

The referrals I get from this proper type of removal/replacement are countless!

i'm sure it is a nice little complete package to offer.

however, at this young stage in my business, i've managed to get plenty of work just from demolition type tree work. meaning, cut a tree down and get it the hell out of there. Also, the time or two i've offered to finish off the jobs (soil, mulch, tree plant) the homeowners have said they'll do it themselves...actually enjoy doing that type of work.

With the bandit 1590 and its winch, it looks like those leads could be pulled right off the roof one at a time without damaging the roof or house. Might only get away with that on the high ones though... I'd say 2-2.5 hours with clean up. Everything gets chipped.. and the Rayco super 50 on that stump would be 25 minutes and back on the trailer. Leaving a pile of chips and dirt backfilled in the hole. I'd be feeling good with $1000 on that job.

I chipped this entire tree on Wednesday.. Thats a 066 with 28" bar sitting next to it. One load in the 14' forrestry box. Did two of them for $1,950, notch and drops.

I just put $1,450 on a backyard 30+" DBH willow notch and drop, 40 yards from the driveway. Pricey neighborhood. Owner said he had a price of $700... Guess its all supply and demand... There are a lot of hungry tree guys running around here with a lot of equipment...

It's ironic because we were talking about trade jargon last time and S T F U is text/messenger jargon for shut the f**k up!

It's weird that it should edit from within a word though. It must have offended too many of the wrong people.

Well of course I would not think of that. It's not in my vocabulary.

I don't say it, and I don't think it.

Well of course I would not think of that. It's not in my vocabulary.

I don't say it, and I don't think it.

i think it daily.

have said it a few times time in my life and that's usually not how it ends...say it less and less now that i'm getting old....29....

Back