How would you feel about a nation wide wood burning appliance change out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see how anything the Government is involved in qualifies as a Win Win. Money for incentive programs comes from the Tax Payer. Bad idea to involve Government to force something on someone. Good idea to get the word out regarding technology advances and let the consumer voice their opinion with their pocketbook.

don't need no stinking govmt messin round with my heating. so what my old insert is not highly efficient? long as its solid it gets used. if i burn more wood than my neighbor cause of the inefficiency who's business is that? i just put another log on the fire. that's why i cut and process my own wood.
think for a second. after you've spent mega bucks upgrading your stove how much wood are you actually saving. i figure pay back period's got to be measured in decades. don't even get me started on the gobmt intruding into my life and my God given rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. just sayin

Build a better mouse trap....errrr, wood stove, and the world will beat a path to your door. Once the government has control of it who will have any incentive to develope any further innovations in wood stoves. When you remove capitalism from the economy, you have Cuba, or the old Soviet Union. Or better yet, horses, buggies, and misery whips. Of course the government cares. The masses will be little closer to being absolutely controlled, and the controllers will be a little closer to having absolute control. And you know what they say about absolute control.

No way. A scheme of this nature will simply create yet another hungry bureaucracy that will pick the consumer's purse to pay for itself.

The Fed has its paws in 'way too many pies already. I don't need a guv'mint overseer watching my wood burner for me. I'm quite capable of doing this myself, thanks very much.

Guv'mint has always had what I call the Ex-Lax touch - everything they put their hands to goes to crap.

I would rather have them spend my money on this than half of the other current programs. Face it we aren't going to be paying less taxes anytime soon so if they moved the money around a little bit we might see some renewed interest in the industry.

Up by me in the Northern, MN the industry has just been decimated over the past 10 years. Listening to them every year I know the Associated Contract Loggers and Truckers needs something to help turn around the industry. We had Potlatch who was bought out by Ainsworth and now nothing, which really hurts the area job market.

I would rather have them spend my money on this than half of the other current programs. Face it we aren't going to be paying less taxes anytime soon so if they moved the money around a little bit we might see some renewed interest in the industry.

Up by me in the Northern, MN the industry has just been decimated over the past 10 years. Listening to them every year I know the Associated Contract Loggers and Truckers needs something to help turn around the industry. We had Potlatch who was bought out by Ainsworth and now nothing, which really hurts the area job market.

Well thats a nice thought the problem with your analogy is that the gov never stops the other current programs which you speak of, so it creates another program on top of all the other mind numbing, money guzzling programs for us to all pay for. One thing I have definately learned is that once the gov gets something you will NEVER get it back, I have lived through many examples of this here are a few: the gov took land from my grandfather to run a RR thru it to better all of us, with the agreement that if and when it ever is not a operating RR any longer the land goes back to the farmers well 50 years later we havent seen a train in 10 years and all the sudden the DNR is putting a walking trail in. There is a meeting called and an old relative of mine has the actual letter stating that if this is no longer an active RR it goes back to the farmers he hobbles into the meeting and reads it out loud at the meeting which got a loud applause, then the DNR rep says well that is no longer valid. And a week later they gave him a ticket for driving his lawn mower across the trail. Here is another 1% additional sales tax for everything in the county to build this needed flood control. Well the flood control project has worked well but it was finished in 1978 and we are all still paying the additional 1% to this day. I could go on and on
but the bottom line is You need to fight up front hard to head these kind of things off or once they get passed it will be on your back forever. Free enterprise is what works and the only thing that will work over the years. I have no need or want for the gov to watch over my wood burner or anything else in my life.

fire wood will do very little to improve the logging industry, smaller operations do firewood when things slow down, but unless everyone starts burning wood, vey little impact will be made on the logging industry from just firewood...

as for people wanting a computer controlled stove, i cant see a whole lot of people willing to drop the cash for one, espically when the one thay have works just fine, i would say that EVERYONE i know that burns wood, does it so they dont have to pay thousands of dollars for gas/oil every year,
the amount of wood saved is nowhere near enough reason for me to pull my stoves out and replace them with something i have very little control over.

and the 4/8 million people that have wood stoves, where the hell did they come up with that? VERY few people these days burn wood, nevermind burn wood fulltime, i know many people with stoves that have them strictly for an emergency, or some that only burn on weekends, just because people have a stove doesnt mean it gets used fulltime, i have an oil fired boiler, but does that mean thats what i heat my house with full time? NO
its IMPOSSIBLE to take the consumer out of it, without them it doesnt work! then if something goes wrong, or the computer doesnt work, how will the consumer know what to do?
i see alot of the following going on in the future
(hmmmmm wow my stoves abnormally hot,sounds like a train and theres flames coming out of my chimney, i wonder whats wrong? guess ill call the tech support so they can help me over the phone)
computers are not for everything...
although i do have a hammer, and sometimes it varies the ammount of swings it takes to drive a nail, must be operator error, i bet a computer could help? no? or maybe a robotic arm to swing the hammer? either way i think its a genius idea, and im going to sell millions:dizzy:
it works perfectly fine the way it is, only un-informed lazy people would consider this the only option, which are for the most part not the type of people that burn wood...

problem is, like already said, they aren't gonna move it around. wondering how long you've actually been alive to have said something like that. have you not been paying attention?

totally agree the loggers and truckers need something. what they need is to get the frigging govmt off their backs. why is it you think companies go bust? could it be the additional regulation, and attendant increases in taxes, that inevitably happens when govmt sticks its nose in? have you ever studied history? why do you think the american revolution was waged? govmt interference, unfair levies, etc.

govmt cannot fix anything. its up to the peeps. c'mon man, pull yer head out and look around. take the rosy glasses off and take a good close look around. i'm here to tell you that the changes in this country over the last 50 years have progressively taken a downward spiral. does the term "of the people, by the people, for the people" ring any bells?

wondering how much your business interests contribute to your mindset. surely you wouldn't be willing to sell everyone out just for a buck? rant over.

I didn't even need to read the thread to know my opinion.

The government needs to stay the hell out of my life, except for essential services such as national security.

More government=bad government.

I bought a better stove last year because 1. I needed a new stove, the old one was wore out, and 2. to use less wood, saving me time and effort along with a bit of cash. That time and effort can now be used to make more money, or just enjoy life, my call.

I don't see an upside to spending MY tax dollars to encourage someone else to get a new stove when they can't see the advantages that are already there.

L-M-A-O

Well this is a first, I don't believe I've ever agreed 100% with a Del_ post!!!!

Even putting the government part of it aside I see it as a bad idea...
Yeah, computers and internet communications are wonderful things... as long as the network(s) remain up.
What happens when it all comes crashing down around us next week, or next month, or next year??
And then add in the government thing... it can only be a lose-lose for everyone (except government).
NO FRIGGIN' THANK YOU!!!

Didn't really read the thread...Just heard something about government and wood stoves......Where do i sign up for free wood stamps....:hmm3grin2orange:

Okay, take the govt out, and the possibilities of the internet and computer crashing out of the equation. Is the computer going to put wood in for me when I ain't there? No? Then what the @@@@ do I want to spend the money on it for? Govt and computer control of my wood stove.....thank you, NO. :msp_thumbdn:

LOL & more LOLing. Of course the IRS will be the agency to monitor it & sure as hell audit your wood stack. That can only lead to redistribution of your wood stack to your fellow neighbors.

Back