How'd he get those in there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The round in the middle is 32" in diameter and they are each 24"+ in length. My future supply is a little low on softwood so this is just what the doctor ordered.

There has been a Craigslist ad for some free pine a couple miles away from me. I have plenty of wood but I decided to check it out the other day. The ad was a couple weeks old so of course all that was left was these four monsters.

I was checking them out and weighing my options (go get bigger saw, just leave them be...) when along comes an older guy asking if I need some help. I told him if he was willing I could sure use the help. I gave him a pair of gloves and he jumped right in. They were too big even for a two man lift. He wasnt nearly as strong as I am and I noticed he had a bum hand. We ended up using the forked piece in the back of the truck as a ramp. I got behind/under them and rolled them up while he steadied them.

When it was all said and done i asked if he wanted a sandwich as there is a killer gyro stand around the corner. (The real reason I was in the neighborhood in the first place) He says no he already had lunch and he was just glad to be of some help. He was on his way to the corner store to pick up some smokes. He's walking because His car is broken down. I offered him a ride and then took him back home.

I figure this is a little karma for being a straight up decent person. A willing helper shoes up just when you need a little help.

268571d1355941471-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355941459-598293-jpg

View attachment 268571

Last edited:
I'm in the process of upgrading my wood hauler to a 4x4 Super Duty Ford. I'm really going to miss the bed height of this truck. Somehow I don't think I would've gotten these rounds in the bed of the SD.

I bought a 4/8 utility trailer kit with a 2K pound axle just to grab bigger pieces like that. It sits so close to the ground you can usually tip them right into the back and slide them forward. Really handy to grab tree service wood blocks that are so big most people leave them alone.

Most all heartwood with hardly any bark when they are all split, can't beat those bigger pieces.

I bought a 4/8 utility trailer kit with a 2K pound axle just to grab bigger pieces like that. It sits so close to the ground you can usually tip them right into the back and slide them forward. Really handy to grab tree service wood blocks that are so big most people leave them alone.

Most all heartwood with hardly any bark when they are all split, can't beat those bigger pieces.

Me too, but mostly to use for my truck behind my SUV. Harbor freight... FTW!

I'm in the process of upgrading my wood hauler to a 4x4 Super Duty Ford. I'm really going to miss the bed height of this truck. Somehow I don't think I would've gotten these rounds in the bed of the SD.

You can always carry some large wooden planks and use a comealong to drag heavy rounds in.

And theres always noodling to size or bust it into smaller chunks you can pick up. I have to do that a lot when I am using the trailer. With the carry all, roll them in right at ground level, but it wont hold as much weight..

Another option, look around for a used liftgate. Or get one of those small cranes you can bolt to the floor and some log tongs.

You can always carry some large wooden planks and use a comealong to drag heavy rounds in.

And theres always noodling to size or bust it into smaller chunks you can pick up. I have to do that a lot when I am using the trailer. With the carry all, roll them in right at ground level, but it wont hold as much weight..

Another option, look around for a used liftgate. Or get one of those small cranes you can bolt to the floor and some log tongs.

I do have some 8' wooden ramps and access to a nice 6x10 trailer with tailgate/ramp. It just happened that I went after this load grossly under-prepared

I am seriously considering either a crane or liftgatefor the "new" truck. I just bought a cherry tailgate for the new truck though. It was even the right color!

I am no stranger to busting/noodling big rounds to get them in the truck. If these rounds were hardwood then that would have been the program. These are definitely the biggest rounds I have ever put into the truck whole.

Last edited:
I do have some 8' wooden ramps and access to a nice 6x10 trailer with tailgate/ramp. It just happened that I went after this load grossly under-prepared

I am seriously considering either a crane or liftgatefor the "new" truck. I just bought a cherry tailgate for the new truck though. It was even the right color!

I am no stranger to busting/noodling big rounds to get them in the truck. If these rounds were hardwood then that would have been the program. These are definitely the biggest rounds I have ever put into the truck whole.

I had some oak rounds before from a whopper I felled we called treequake. Those were so freeking big and heavy I couldnt even flip them up to roll them into the tote box. Had to bust right there.

Got a few big pine rounds left in the backyard here are even larger.

Ive been sorta staring at them now and then....thats my plan and Im sticking to it! hahahaha

We noodled a few up before and I finished busting them that way, was able to flip them around enough to get situated on another block for busting. Everytime I am going to split, I look at those things and go pick something else....

Back