Hows things going?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just thought I might chime in and ask how everyone is doing on their firewood selling?

I gotta admit, my story is going to involve some questions too. I first started doing this whole firewood thing at the beginning of this year. I was ambitious at first and desperate to get some wood as well. Economy is slow, have no job, so I HAD to do something! MY first score was ponderosa pine. It was a 40 mile drive one way. Took 4 days to cut, load, and unload. Started off with it and got to splitting some of it with a grenade. Could not get very far splitting with it as I did not even know what noodling was. I let it sit, and went on the prowl for more wood. Got my hands on all sorts of various species of wood. Did a little "logging" behind us in our neighbors yard. Before I knew it, I had a heaping pile of wood on the side of the house, that anyone could not shake a stick at.

Well, because I ended up getting a job for a few months and also busy with other things, I got behind on my wood! My humungous pile sat in mostly rounds. By the time I got to splitting it all, they all were checked nicely and very little was rotten. Almost all of that pine I originally gotten was on the bottom and rotted out. Smelled like pine-sol atleast! lol...

So I took 3-4 days splitting all the wood. I have not gotten it all stacked yet. Fortunately I had a few or so cords stacked and ready to go. All in all, I have sold 6 cord of wood so far! I dunno how much success that is for a beginner in this area. I have been getting a couple calls recently that may very well put me at the 8 cord mark. After this though, I fear I cannot sell anymore wood! I won't have any dry wood left to sell! I sold my best cord of wood which was red fir/birch for $160 today. Charged $10 for gas as well. I only had the ad on it for 1 day!

The rest of the wood I have is a pine, poplar, and spruce mix with a few pieces of birch and tamarack here and there. Its all in a pile still like I said, and the rain has been heavy recently. Past couple days it has been merciful and no rain but snow is COMING!

You guys think if I get the wood stacked it will be dry by springtime? I have to move in the spring and I do not wanna transport it and sit on it until next season. I was thinking I could sell it at about 1/2 or so of the price I sell it at come spring. You think people will jump on it?

Split it and sell it now. Just make sure you tell people it's green. You might have to cut the price some but at least you'll move it. As far as production it's really hard to say. 8 cords is a lot of wood to some people. To others it's a couple hours on the processor. Guys like me with a super splitter will cut and split that in easily in a week. It all comes down to your wood availability,equipment,time,and desire.

Scott

Latest posts

Back