How's your wood pile coming along?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scored an acre of oaks and maples today :clap: . A guy I know is going to clear another acre to expand his pasture and I can cut till I'm blue in the face. I can see me being there at least one day a weekend till he tires of me and burns it all. I think I may cut, limb and pull them to a staging area so he can clear stumps and prep the area and I can cut at my leisure. He's even going to let me use his tractor to pull the logs. I'll be bringing a can of diesel with me on every trip so he isn't out fuel. I'm going to try to borrow a 3/4t truck and a bigger trailer to make the trips more worth while... Just don't know if I can swing that one though. Would be nice to make the 40 minute drive a little more productive.

Ian

5 and a half cords in the shed, rounds split into quarters to make 'em fit tighter. Will bust them down more as I need them in the winter, since I do it by hand. Along the driveway/road into the place, I have another two or so cords still in rounds, won't fit into the sheds and I just unload the truck there after sheds are full. I use about 3+ cords a winter, so I have about 2 yr. supply at the beginning of any winter.

I have little bit 2-3 cords plus a bunch that needs to be split..Plus a cord up by the house
crappy photo but
stuff179.jpg

Last edited:
Installed a little woodstove in my shop today. Pics will come at some time. I have enough split wood until Christmas but then I need to get into this.

Odd lots

I was not able to cut much wood last year, so I have a wood supply that is as odd as my chainsaw collection. I have about 1 and a half cords of nicely dry white oak, ironwood and elm stored in a shed at my uncle's. I have built up a pile of about 2 cords in my garage of ash, silver maple, ironwood, elm, red oak and some wood I scavenged from a neighbor that is dry of unknown identity(possibly elm) and a little cottonwood. I got up to my Uncle's farm to cut this fall, all the goofy stuff for this year and some really nice Red Oak and Ash for next year. When I have to cut dry I usually get Ironwood and Elm.

Green ash flood killed in the valley. Lots of funky looking shrooms on it. I have enough for a few years I think! But I caught cad and now it's off to the bush with my new 7900 tomorrow. This site has gave me hours of reading but it may just be the beginning of an expensive past time. Spend a dollar to save a nickel. LOL Lots of great info!

Green ash flood killed in the valley. Lots of funky looking shrooms on it. I have enough for a few years I think! But I caught cad and now it's off to the bush with my new 7900 tomorrow. This site has gave me hours of reading but it may just be the beginning of an expensive past time. Spend a dollar to save a nickel. LOL Lots of great info!

that's quite a load of ash you got - good firewood, too :cheers:

this years minus 4 rows already in the basement and a good start on next years.
barn014.jpg
:greenchainsaw: Mostly ash, red oak and white oak, a little maple.
barn013.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_2997.JPG

IMG_2983.JPG

IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

Ok since mostly everyone posted picts of their woodpile,heres mine, had a sunny day yesterday and took a few picts. This years wood is piled away in a woodshed so too hard to take picts of it through a doorway chock ful of wood, around 3 cord in there. This is my cut and split wood., I will post picts of the wood to be cut up and split this winter next post.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back