HT101 polesaw with hedgetrimmer attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchux

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK i was thinking of getting a hedge trimmer attachment to go on the end of a ht101 polesaw.
The guy at the shop said that it would fit but was not recommended.
Have any of you guys ever used a polesaw like that ? [with hedgetrimmer]

Unless you have REALLY TALL hedges don't do it!!!! I have the hedge trimmer atachment for my Shindiwia power head and it is way to long and awkward to use efectivley (jez I can't spell at alll tonight) There is just too much wieght out on the end to be able to properly control it for normal hedges.
Just my .02
Andy

I have a HT101 pole trimmer and wouldnt even think of useing it for anything else..It would be really hard to use that way..

Last edited:
They are used with hedge trimmer attachments by several crews out here, but they are unwieldy and dangerous if extended...

No problem with an HT75

Don't know about an HT101, but I use a hedge trimmer attachment on an HT75. Fully extended, it is indeed unwieldy, but perfectly usable. If it isn't fully extended, it is absolutely fine. If you have an awkward hedge, it is a godsend.

It is heavy - you wouldn't want to use it for long without a rest.

Stihl recommended the hedge trimmer attachment for use with the HT75 some years ago. They changed this recommendation a couple years later when they saw a high failure rate on the telescoping driveshafts. Apparently the high load of the hedge trimmer was causing failures and they didn't want to be encouraging people to use this combo. All the previous comments about weight, difficult handling, and utility are correct. I have several customers who use this combination but it takes a real man to handle it. I think the shaft wear issues would be even more pronounced with the higher torque of the HT101 4-MIX motor. Its definately a judgement call as to whether the need for this combo outweighs the potential for shaft damage.

Stihldoc is absolutely correct, the other main reason is that the pole pruner attachment has a slip clutch builtin, whereas the hedgetrimmer does not, the design of the telescoping drive shaft assy will not handle the toprque applied when fully extended

Steeltech - Welcome to AS!

Not sure what you mean by "slip clutch built in". If you are refering to the engine clutch... The KM55, 90, 110 and 130 all have the standard centrifugal clutch and drive the 0-90- and 0-135 hedge trimmer attachment. The dedicated Hedgetrimers also have the same clutch. The KM130 with 1.88hp will make one heck of a hedge trimmer.

You are completely correct about the telescoping drive shaft though - they are easily damaged.

The KM allows for extension shafts so you can get extended reach, just not telescoping.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back