HUGE PINE TREE - Need it gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you guys are getting off topic. Who said anything about a Pine tree? It's a MONEYTREE!:clap:

Check out
http://msucares.com/forestry/prices/reports/

This is Mississippi prices, and it appears that the OP is in Mississippi.

From the 2010 Q1 report,
"Despite a two-week period in mid-March when lumber prices fell, the following two-week period reversed trend. The composite price for Southern Yellow Pine for the week of April 1 was more than $340/mbf."

These are standing timber prices, by the way, according to earlier reports that I perused, not mill prices.

From
http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0035.html
Using a 30" dbh, 3 16' logs, we get 840bf.
Plus we know 24" at 40'. So assume similar at 48', and also assume 3 logs (to get to 80') we get another 490.

Total = 1.330mbf.
1.33 x $340 = $452.

So, value of the tree is $452 standing, assuming dimensions reported to us are correct.

So, value of the tree is $452 standing, assuming dimensions reported to us are correct.

Schweet! Just pay for gear and insurance and equipment and gas and labor and harvest and haul to an unspecified mill and count all that money!

medicineman's making a great offer; wudda guy! :clap:

Standing timber value assumes paying for equipment, labor, hauling, etc. So, that $452 takes into account probably around $300 worth of labor / equipment / etc.

When I logged in 2006 I was selling my cedar trees for approximately $1200 each at the mill. Of course, it was costing me right around $250 per tree to drop it, limb it, buck it, haul it. So, standing timber value was $950 per tree. Trees have dropped much lower in value since then.

Like I said earlier, though, this is an arborist site, not a logging site. For an arborist, the timber has zero value, so I can completely understand the theories being tossed about here on how much that tree is worth.

Hey, at least I'm using facts to back up my argument....

I also know that it's next to impossible to get a logger to come out and drop and haul away 1 tree. A self loading truck and a full truckload, you might get someone to come out, especially if they were small time.

As I said, the value of the wood is around $800.

The local mills won't take it because it's larger than their equipment will handle.
The wood yard foreman is 100% trusted longtime friend, so the "runaround" is not viable either.

It has #### to do with being a "yard tree".
It's neighbors were sold and processed last year with no problems or concerns.

I have no problem cutting it.
Won't be the first or the last. I just don't have any way of loading or hauling it.
I just hate to see it wasted when it's such good clear lumber.

My concern is that it would just be a rotting log for the next few years if nobody comes for it and we don't use it for firewood.
But that's not a problem either, since having it laying there wouldn't bother anyone in the least.
(way out in the country with nearest neighbor 1/4 mile away)

No way I'm paying some guy $500 to cut and leave laying what I can cut myself.
(and they would NOT get to haul it off if I have to pay them)

I'll just section and split it for wood heater before I waste that kind of money.

Thanks anyway.
I was referred here by some folks that live in NorthWest part of country where this is a tiny tree and a simple job.

your posts seem to be full of ill will towards others... if you wanted to be told what you wanted to hear, and thought you already knew the answer, why even ask any questions? :dizzy:
so if you paid someone to drop it and cut it up, you WOULDNT let them take the wood with them?
that seems to be the opposite of how all tree companies work.. you pay them to haul the wood off, not vise versa.
you first said you understood that all the cutters you inquired about cutting it down were "scared" to cut it? but then mention that you have no problem doing it yourself.. :dizzy: ..so..
enjoy the pine, good luck

Check out
http://msucares.com/forestry/prices/reports/

This is Mississippi prices, and it appears that the OP is in Mississippi.

From the 2010 Q1 report,
"Despite a two-week period in mid-March when lumber prices fell, the following two-week period reversed trend. The composite price for Southern Yellow Pine for the week of April 1 was more than $340/mbf."

These are standing timber prices, by the way, according to earlier reports that I perused, not mill prices.

From
http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0035.html
Using a 30" dbh, 3 16' logs, we get 840bf.
Plus we know 24" at 40'. So assume similar at 48', and also assume 3 logs (to get to 80') we get another 490.

Total = 1.330mbf.
1.33 x $340 = $452.

The site showed it to be 33 per ton that tree will make maybe two and a half ton if your lucky so the value as I see it is under a hundred bucks. Are you guys figuring finished product in your assessments:dizzy:

I see we jumped from bf to mbf also:monkey:

Last edited:
around here no one will even buy pine firewood, youd have to take it to the town brush dump, so that $800 worth of firewood, once again is not worth anything untill you find someone who even wants to burn pine, it it were 4 cords of hardwood, split and stacked, then its worth $800. youre forgetting the bucking, splitting, delivery, etc. trees arnt worth anything just standing there. like the old craigslist tales seem to never end... no one is gona pay you to cut your tree down for you. thats backwards :greenchainsaw:

Oh, details, details! :laugh:

But all of that is beside the point. The mill (the only mill in the area, apparently), has said they don't want it.

Value = zero.

It doesn't matter what OTHER people are getting in the state of Misery. If the mill or mills in his locale don't want it, it's firewood, and not very good firewood at that.

Oh, details, details! :laugh:

But all of that is beside the point. The mill (the only mill in the area, apparently), has said they don't want it.

Value = zero.

It doesn't matter what OTHER people are getting in the state of Misery. If the mill or mills in his locale don't want it, it's firewood, and not very good firewood at that.

Yup it is all in the details lol composite price is not value unless your the mill itself lmfao. Ton price is what its worth I don't care how you look at it. If he hauled it to the mill by mule he may make a little under a 100 bucks. I see he figures the mill is not going to profit from his log too:monkey:

Last edited:
Gotta let this one go guys. We know, he knows. But what about senoir Trimmed? Think he has any idea? Legitimate post my eye.

The site showed it to be 33 per ton that tree will make maybe two and a half ton if your lucky so the value as I see it is under a hundred bucks. Are you guys figuring finished product in your assessments:dizzy:

Read down a little further. After it talks about value per ton (mulched wood scraps), it talks about board feet, and the value there, which happens to be $340 per mbf.

1330 board feet = 1.33mbf. m = 1,000. It's a British thing I think.

around here no one will even buy pine firewood, youd have to take it to the town brush dump:greenchainsaw:

I seriously don't think you guys understand the difference between regular crap pine and southern yellow pine. SYP is a very hard, dense wood, highly sought after for hardwood flooring and furniture making.

Nobody in their right mind is going to use SYP for firewood unless driven to...

I agree, regular pine is just that - regular pine.

Oh, and 1.3mbf = 110.8 cubic feet, which is just a tad under a full cord, by my calculations. (One board foot is a 1" thick board 1' x 1', so just divide by 12 for cubic feet).

Read down a little further. After it talks about value per ton (mulched wood scraps), it talks about board feet, and the value there, which happens to be $340 per mbf.

1330 board feet = 1.33mbf. m = 1,000. It's a British thing I think.

Yup I saw that but what i also saw was it was composite which to me means already made into building material. I am assuming that is what you would pay for it finished product I know none of the mills will pay anything but ton or cord price.
The value per ton I looked at was pine saw timber, look again yourself, that's what they pay for raw logs at any mill I ever hauled to unless pulp, then its cord and it is way cheapo.

Last edited:
I seriously don't think you guys understand the difference between regular crap pine and southern yellow pine. SYP is a very hard, dense wood, highly sought after for hardwood flooring and furniture making.

Nobody in their right mind is going to use SYP for firewood unless driven to...

I agree, regular pine is just that - regular pine.

Oh, and 1.3mbf = 110.8 cubic feet, which is just a tad under a full cord, by my calculations. (One board foot is a 1" thick board 1' x 1', so just divide by 12 for cubic feet).

I think if you looked at the picture of the loblolly pine I was up, you would see it is southern yellow pine:monkey:

I copied and pasted its current value looks like you might get around 70 dollars for that trees log!

Pine Sawtimber
showed an upward trend increasing $0.17 or 0.6% to end at $28.61/ton.

At least we get 42 to 45 per ton here I would not even try to haul for his mills pay.

Yep. Yellow pine. Good stuff. Not regular pine.

And if nobody wants to buy it, the value is still zero.

All the mills I have ever dealt with paid by the mbf, by the way, not by the ton. The only time they pay by the ton is a pulp mill.

I give up. I have no affiliation with the OP and he's abandoned this thread, so there's no point in further discussion.

I think we're all in agreement that if he can't get anyone to give him any money for the tree, then the value is zero. :)

I'm unsubbing from this thread....

:cheers: :givebeer:

All the mills I have ever dealt with paid by the mbf, by the way, not by the ton. The only time they pay by the ton is a pulp mill.

I give up. I have no affiliation with the OP and he's abandoned this thread, so there's no point in further discussion.

I think we're all in agreement that if he can't get anyone to give him any money for the tree, then the value is zero. :)

I'm unsubbing from this thread....

:cheers: :givebeer:

yep, only snackeys are paid by the ton, any thing less they aint a snackey!!!!;)

Latest posts

Back