Huskee 22 ton splitter followed me home!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussieblake

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This evening I purchased the 22 ton Huskee splitter, the store I went to had all three models so I had my pick. After looking at them I decided on the 22 ton was the best deal for me. The 27 ton, to me, was not worth the additional $350, and the 35 ton was more than I needed and would use more gas.

I will say there are some slight differences in the frames of of the 22 ton and the 27 ton. The rails (log cradles) are different (more boxy on the 22 ton), the foot plate is a little smaller on the 22 ton, and the hydro reservoir is not as large. But based on all the reviews on the net and the amount of use I will put it through it was the best fit for me. Had the price difference been $150-$200 dollars I may have considered the 27 ton.

The I beam (or H beam) on the 22 ton does not have holes to mount a side shelf like the other two models. Has any put a side shelf on one of these? I don't mind fabricating one, just trying to see what others have done.

aussieblake

Both me and my neighbor cut about an inch off the angle iron where it meets the foot to allow chips and bark to easily exit the cradle. As it is the chips will be trapped and get hydraulically compressed and be very difficult to remove. The oval holes in the other models are an improvement but IMO aren't large enough to totally solve the problem.

Hey Aussie,

Good luck with the splitter.

I place a wheelbarrow next to the splitter, so as the pieces are split, they fall into the barrow. Occasional adjustments to the wood inside the barrowas it piles high, and then off to the pile to stack. You could also build rough wood tables from scraps, to help load and unload the splitter.

Aussie, I knocked together a table yesterday out of scrap wood for my 22 ton Huskee. It is freestanding and just slides under the beam. Works pretty well. No more sticks falling on my toes. Split about half a cord in an hour. I'll see if I can get a picture up sometime.

The chip and dirt compaction is a pain. Haven't solved that one yet.

Guy on Ebay sells work tables for about $70. His handle is 33flame. Best $ I ever spent. It not only saves you from bending over, the table will prevent any big pieces from hitting your splitter's fender or hoses.

I keep saying that I'm going to make a cradle for my splitter but when I'm using it I say that I'm too busy to stop and do it. When I'm done splitting I say that I don't need it now and will do it later. Procrastination :(

Danny

Mine came with some small cradles bolted too the I beam. The horizontal surface had two holes drilled through and I just added some L shaped extension strips. The tip of the L facing up holds the piece from rolling off. It works ok but isn't very solid. I will probably fab up a table too bolt too the "cradle" pieces. Ductape did this and posted it last week. A nice table and just what I'll do! :cheers:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=71602&highlight=table+splitter

PS: Congrates on the new splitter Aussie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back