Huskee 35ton Log splitter with B/S 12.5 motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnskis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, so i have had this splitter for a good while and never had any major issues with it. But this year it has been more trouble than usual. First time i tried to start it this year the rope broke at about half the length, and the recoil spring somehow got wet or moisture in it though it is stored in a closed garage with a cover over the motor.

So obviously I had to replace the rope i soaked the spring and was able to bring it back but purchased another and had to wait for it to come in the mail as my local briggs dealer had never stocked parts for this specific motor. After replacing the problematic parts i attempted to start it again, pulled it till i felt resistance then gave it a yank, WHAMO!! kicks back out of my hand breaks the starter rope hand against then motor house when it kicked back, yanked my shoulder pretty good and left me sore for a couple days, finally started after 2 or 3 more pulls worked great.

So yesterday i go out and try to fire it up again follow my same procedure that previously had never resulted in kickback like i had done for years and WHAMO!!!! This time it pulls it from my hand so hard that my death grip on the starter handle and the force of it pulling it from my strong grip i have on the handle is enough to break the hand i replace it with and extra and pull again this time the rope breaks an inch from the end.

Im sick of the kickback from this thing, the compression this motor has is quite high and seems to be quite dangerous to hand start my question is this, Has anybody upgraded this motor to and electric start system? If so what did it cost you and what components did you have to purchase? Is it more effective to find an easier starting motor like a Honda, Kohler or something else. I just dont want to break a bone or pull something from this ridiculous motor.

Any input will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance for any responses. Also if you have recommendations on a motor that wont break the bank please list the good options for replacement this thing gets moderate use so not sure a commercial grade motor is needed.

something is not right there. Does that engine have an automatic decomp dealie built in for starting? Some four strokes do, but I have no idea which ones, there's zillions of little engines out there. If so, it might be rusted or jammed shut/so it doesn't work.

The other thing is timing, too far advanced would give those symptoms.

Looking up stuff for briggs motors isn't hard on their website, but you need all them dang numbers.

I have the same splitter!! And I love it after its started. It's a true arm buster. I thing I have heard and now I use every time now is warming up the hydro tank with a salamander heater. I always pull with 2 hands.I am planning to swap mine to an electric start in a few weeks.

Perhaps you could purchase a large pull handle like used on snowthowers and snowmobiles? This way you can pull with both hands on the pull handle. Because if your not careful you could damage a tendon in your hand/elbow/shoulder.
Once you purchase the larger.pull handle....try having someone move the hydraulic valve lever.to.the forward position. This.would.allow the oil to move thru the system will little or no resistance. Its possible the bypass in your valve is sticking at lower pressures or when cold which could cause increased pressure/resistance when starting.

Good luck with resolving your problem.

Ah! I slap plumb forgot about trying to start the engine PLUS moving hydraulic fluid at the same time. that's nuts, has to be a better way.

You guys with these splitters and who build them, there isn't a way to do some sort of valve block or I guess a bypass (sounds better) so that yank starting is easier? Then ease it "into gear" somehow?

Almost need a clutch design. So you could disengage the hydraulics. It has no decompression that I know of it starts and run but it just kicks back like a mule and I use 2 hands always with this splitter but it got the better of me yesterday, literally yanks the handle through my fingers and bruised my index finger knuckle pretty good from pulling it back, these splitters seem to have a bit of a reputation for being arm busters it seems. The 2 handed handle may be a good idea I found one off a lawnmower that had a metal insert to try.

Almost need a clutch design. So you could disengage the hydraulics. It has no decompression that I know of it starts and run but it just kicks back like a mule and I use 2 hands always with this splitter but it got the better of me yesterday, literally yanks the handle through my fingers and bruised my index finger knuckle pretty good from pulling it back, these splitters seem to have a bit of a reputation for being arm busters it seems. The 2 handed handle may be a good idea I found one off a lawnmower that had a metal insert to try.

Most bs engines that do not come with electric start are not easy to convert because the flywheels are different.

Occasionally you can get lucky and find that your flywheel has teeth on the outer edge. In which case Briggs used the same inexpensive starter on most models for many years. My understanding is that if you have a flywheel meant for a starter the engine also likely has a 12 volt charging system.

It's possible to add the correct flywheel to a pull start only engine, but it is not worth the time and money to add both a flywheel and a charging system. You would be further ahead in my opinion to purchase a good used electric start engine off of craigslist. Your pump can likely be oriented horizontal or vertical which increases the availability of engines.

The splitter is the best one I've used including homemade jobs, but that kickback is so gnarly. If I were to look at replacement motors which motors come highly recommended for this application? and is capable of keeping up with the 16 gpm pump?

I have the same splitter. It can bite you. Got to get to the top of the compression stroke. Pull slowly feeling for the most resistance point.... Then let the cord back in and give it a swift yank... I used to get bit, until I found that point of most resistance...I've not had mine come back to bite me this way, sounds like yours might have an issue. Did u ask the dealer, not that they know everything...

I think that is an OHV engine. If so, you need to adjust your valves. Briggs has a decomp built into the cam. It is just a little bump BTDC. If your valves have much more than .006 clearance then the built in decomp won't work. I think the valve adjustment interval is 50 hrs.

Honda makes the best small engines. They always start, are quiet, fuel efficient and run forever.

If you are looking to repower your splitter with the best engine there is, go with a honda.

I still think Honda is best, but our compactors at work have been wearing out newer Hondas twice as fast as the old ones. We are not real good with timely oil changes, but they used to run 3 or 4 years with yearly oil changes (probably 100 - 200 hours). The last few years they have been averaging 2 years.

First:Make sure the ram selector valve handle is in neutral.As stated pull the starter rope until resistance is felt,then pull sharply.Valves may need adjustment but I doubt it.Timeing may be advanced but I doubt that too since the problem is intermittent,same for the valve adjustment.
I have the same splitter and engine.Never adjusted the valves.Did break the rope once just because it wore out!

A friend if mine is suddenly in need of a new splitter and is looking at this specific splitter.

Thank You Everyone for sharing this info.

I have been passing it to him to help make his decision.

Thanks for the input everybody love the tips I think part of it may have been the point of most resistance I just didn't want to pull it past the point, so I tried to get it as close as possible. It sat out in the weather when I let my uncle use it a couple years ago and I've had issues with the starter ever since. Have replaced the ropes twice and the spring once and a set of the little plastic dogs on the pulley once all since then. Never had a problem for 3 years before that. I notice they are putting Kohler motors on these splitters at tra tor supply now.

I have the same splitter. It can bite you. Got to get to the top of the compression stroke. Pull slowly feeling for the most resistance point.... Then let the cord back in and give it a swift yank... I used to get bit, until I found that point of most resistance...I've not had mine come back to bite me this way, sounds like yours might have an issue. Did u ask the dealer, not that they know everything...
I follow this staring procedure, but haven't quite narrowed down the top of the stroke yet as it doesn't get started every day. And my local TSC are incompetent. And Calls to speeco resulted in similar advice on the staring procedure. I have been using it for about 6 years now and it run starts and works great, but the way it kicked back the other day worries me as it would be easy to get injured

A friend if mine is suddenly in need of a new splitter and is looking at this specific splitter.

Thank You Everyone for sharing this info.

I have been passing it to him to help make his decision.

Dirty hand tools (DHT) has the best customer service in IMO. Have treated me very well. They would be the brand of choice, if i was sending a friend for a big box store splitter.

Latest posts

Back