huskee quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my 27 Ton figuring there would be some problems.

The welds that look like I did 'em myself while drinking and the Hoses, were what I figured would be an issue.

Nope.
The Brand name pump took a crap, and Speeco swapped it out and paid shipping. One of the tires keeps leaking air cuz I'm too lazy to toss a tube in it, and I twisted the main spar backing up on Ice on the quad with it.

Nothing build quality related, and for 1K Bucks I'm still ahead by a darn good margin.

Crap. Price out spindles,tires, wheels, Motor, pump, and cylinder and you're at 1K or close to it.

If something breaks, ya get out the welder and beef it up when repairing it LOL!!!

30-40" Wet as hell and twisted up Elm rounds wont stop the thing, and wont break it.
So what if it's got ugly welds. I got a few myself.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Those splitters go for "give away" prices...
Build one yourself and then ##### about Huskee's quality.

Where are Huskee's made?

I REALLY don't know.

AIM,

Speeco makes 'em here in OOSA(USA).

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

On that main spar, mine twisted up the first week. I cut a section of quarter inch 3x3, drilled 4 holes, welded on a jack and was back in business with one that looks just like the original, only now its strong like the original should have been in the first place.

Lots of guys don't have welders. Its a shame and it costs me lots of gas and wire.

redisigned I beam

are local tractor supply just received some newer style frames that are like the 35 ton with the rail that holds the wedge is rolled over instead of a l shaped piece welded poorly onto the I beam. Sort of hard to explain but worth checking into.

OK, enough talking about good and bad welds:
Can you who know :bowdown: show us ( who don't know jack about welding --me ) exactly what a 'good' weld should look like ? Closeup pics with examples and explanation of what we should look at ,such as one of the splitter, will do the job.
I asked my cousin the Boilermaker/Pipefitter who works on Nuke plants and paper mills how you know a good job. He said, "forget it". I said: %#@&%.:alien2:
Thanks.

A good weld will have the same amount of weld on one piece as the other. On the edges of the welds you won't see cavities burned into either welded piece. Their will be a smooth conversion from weld to steel. The weld will be flat or slightly crowned from point of contact to point of contact across the weld to the steel.

A cold joint which to me is the most dangerous will have weld built up sorta in a dome with the area that burns into the steel being rounded with space between the weld and the steel. The weld was not hot enough to burn in. That just means it has no penetration and will, under pressure, rip off. These splitters, as as all painted products, mask a bad weld to an untrained eye. But get down close enough to it and you will see what I'm talking about.

I've never welded on nuke plants cuz I hate repetitive welding. That's the same reason I refused to weld pipelines. But I was a certified welder for 30 years. I have burn my share of 7018's and wire over the years.

I do hope this helps some of you. :smile2:

Pretty welds arent necessarily good welds & good welds arent always pretty. I would
bet you cant break the toe plate off if you tried. If by chance you got a bad one & it does break take the beam back to TSC & trade it for a new one. Thats what I did after I twisted
the beam on mine in the first year. No questions asked, but that was about 12 yrs ago.

35 is worth the price.

I have a 35 it works great; looks fine and I do know a good weld when I see one. I have worked in power plants for 30 years including 2 Nukes. I will admit they are not the prettiest welds but they are good enough to get the job done. I have priced the materials to build one of these and when you tally it all up your labor would have to be free to even compete with these splitters that you just hook to your hitch and drive home. Mine came complete with hydraulic fluid and a tank full of gas. I looked at all the very expensive ones and determined that this husky would easily handle 15 cord a year for many years.:cheers:

Back