help with four way wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwade

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
at the church we attend i help with the firewood ministry for the poor. one of the splitters we use is a tractor supply 35 ton huskee. i have been looking at the four way wedges sold by by tsc but the slip on models look pretty flimsy and the labels on them recommend use for soft wood with no knots and straight grain. last year we delivered over a hundred pickup loads to needy families in the county, and we are attempting to ramp it up a little this year with the processing. i was wondering if any one had any recommendations for a sturdy replacement wedge or slip on wedge. as i said this is a 35 ton splitter with a 15 horse briggs engine , its a monster and nothing slows it down, so i assume it would handle the four way. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The factory 4-ways are flimsy. I bought one, used it once, broke it, took it back the next day for a refund. They do OK on small, straight grained wood.

I don't have any recommendations for you other than buy a Super Split or an Industrial Grade Splitter....Sorry.

I did a search using the AS search function and "4 way" in the title. I got 3 pages of threads. You might try reading thru them to see if there is any useful information.

I think we delivered over 300 loads last year. Those charity cuts are a good time. We are having our first on 8/23/14. We don't normally cut in the Summer but when opportunity comes you have to take advantage of it sometimes.

The factory 4-ways are flimsy. I bought one, used it once, broke it, took it back the next day for a refund. They do OK on small, straight grained wood.

I don't have any recommendations for you other than buy a Super Split or an Industrial Grade Splitter....Sorry.

I did a search using the AS search function and "4 way" in the title. I got 3 pages of threads. You might try reading thru them to see if there is any useful information.

I think we delivered over 300 loads last year. Those charity cuts are a good time. We are having our first on 8/23/14. We don't normally cut in the Summer but when opportunity comes you have to take advantage of it sometimes.
cool thanks for the reply i think i read your thread in the search,i was just wondering if anyone had anything the had built or had built. we came into a huge stock of wood this spring and we have pretty much and have been cutting and hauling twice a week since april i wish we could get most of it done during the cooler months but by september we start delivering it to the folks in need. thanks again for the time and reply.

I would think that a slip on wedge could be fabricated cheaply enough cant be that much steel there? If have a 35 ton Husky its about 15-18 yrs old its only got a 9HP techsum engine on it, I hate it cant kill it pain the ass to start, when I do kill it Im going to put on a Chonda I might try to fab a 4 way for myself

I would think that a slip on wedge could be fabricated cheaply enough cant be that much steel there? If have a 35 ton Husky its about 15-18 yrs old its only got a 9HP techsum engine on it, I hate it cant kill it pain the ass to start, when I do kill it Im going to put on a Chonda I might try to fab a 4 way for myself
thanks like i said this one is a monster, im sure its not the original engine. no telling how many hours are on it used about 16 hours weekly for years.

at the church we attend i help with the firewood ministry for the poor. last year we delivered over a hundred pickup loads to needy families in the county, and we are attempting to ramp it up a little this year with the processing.

How does your firewood ministry work? Do you provide wood to only church members or take requests from the community?
I thought of trying something like that locally, but just couldn't figure out some of the little details:
Do you ask for some sort of proof of income level?
How many loads should you give a family each year/ season etc.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

I used the 4 way on my Huskee 22. It is flimsy, but on straight grain Oak it really did work. If you can stage your work area so you are running all straight stuff, throwing the knots aside for later, it would probably work fine. Or, just pull it off when you get a knot. Worse case, if it doesn't work to your expectations, take it back, Joe.

How does your firewood ministry work? Do you provide wood to only church members or take requests from the community?
I thought of trying something like that locally, but just couldn't figure out some of the little details:
Do you ask for some sort of proof of income level?
How many loads should you give a family each year/ season etc.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.
hello treecutter. we get requests from local citizens and some are referred from various county agencies. most that we deliver to are in obvious need.and it is hard to believe that in these times you still see so many people without even running water and living in nearly shacks. once we get the person or family referred we try to get them at least 4 truck loads a winter until we run out. i am semi retired and nearly 60 and i am the youngest of the volunteers. i think the oldest is 87. the majority of the wood is donated by members of the community and the church gives the donor a 10-99 tax form for $110 for each pick up load donated. on family is clearing a large lot for a home and i think we have taken 200 loads from them. i think a win win he gets a 2000 tax write off and the wood goes to a good cause. the church tells these needy folks that the wood is not supposed to be their primary source of heat only an emergency case, but it if obvious that some of these people have no other means of heat. if i can be of any more assistance send me pm i,d be happy to give you any assistance i can.

I used the 4 way on my Huskee 22. It is flimsy, but on straight grain Oak it really did work. If you can stage your work area so you are running all straight stuff, throwing the knots aside for later, it would probably work fine. Or, just pull it off when you get a knot. Worse case, if it doesn't work to your expectations, take it back, Joe.
thanks joe

I'll never use a powered splitter again. I can split 10 times faster with a Fiskars, and if the log won't yield, it will next year.

Hey! More power to you!

In the meantime, I have two words for you!

1002.JPG

There are a number of members here involved with charity cuts. It is a great way to help others & a chance to share with other chainsaw/splitter enthusiasts.

For more information on how the distribution is done you can start a conversation with:
- Workshop on the Oklahoma, AR, MO, .... thread - Springfield, MO area.
- Sam-tip on the Waukee charity cut thread - Des Moises, IA
- Andy & Sarah DodgeGeek on the minnesota-wisconsin-iowa-dakotas thread - Interfaith Caregivers, Burnett County WI

There are a number of members here involved with charity cuts. It is a great way to help others & a chance to share with other chainsaw/splitter enthusiasts.

For more information on how the distribution is done you can start a conversation with:
- Workshop on the Oklahoma, AR, MO, .... thread - Springfield, MO area.
- Sam-tip on the Waukee charity cut thread - Des Moises, IA
- Andy & Sarah DodgeGeek on the minnesota-wisconsin-iowa-dakotas thread - Interfaith Caregivers, Burnett County WI
thanks for the information oliver

I took my single splitter and welded wings on the side to make a four way works great. The side splitters are turned a head of the main splitter with notches for the wing to go in on the plate

Latest posts

Back