Huskee splitter recall-Honda engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCR 3 EVER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We purchased the 27 ton huskee splitter with the 5.5 hp Honda engine last summer. It has worked great with only a few minor problems but now we have a huge one.:(
Honda sent my dad a letter stating that the mount to the gas tank is defective and may damage the fuel tank. However, we are responsible to get the splitter to a service facility for a free repair. Well the only way that can be done is to rent a $150 trailer. What a ripoff for a free repair:angry2: .
The letter states that the owner should immediately move the splitter outside and not use it until repaired. Problem is,the splitter is at cabin 250 miles away where nobody lives constantly. We were planning a week vacation to property to do some cutting in woods and some splitting. Now we have to find a dealer to fix the stupid splitter instead.
We have the TSC warranty, but they will probably say it is a honda problem.
There were many recommendations for this splitter /engine combo, I guess we should have used our instincts and bought the well known Briggs engine.

Has anybody else received a letter from Honda regarding this issue or ever heard of this issue?

Talk to your dealer and see about getting the mount/tank that the warranty will replace, and install it yourself.

I work at my local ford dealer. We are required to let the owner that choose to do their own recalls do them and provide them with the parts. However we don't have to stand behind their work. Once they have the parts the recall is considered closed. I don't see why the same rules wouldn't apply in the small engine world.

Thanks for the helpful links and info. We will try to work something out with a dealer if we can find one.
At the honda website their "locate dealer" page does not list any dealers in MI. I know there is a dealer 15 miles from me, but it is too far from the splitter.

there should be tons of dealers in your area.

i'm from that area.there was a dealer right of m-59.is Fox Toyota still there? i used to work there in the late 90's.it might be easier looking for dealer through the the site of an equipment MFG like Billy Goat or Little Wonder.

I am sure there are tons of dealers and Fox Toyota is still around. It will not be real easy to find them since the splitter is at the cabin 250 miles away. There are not many large towns near the cabin and transporting the splitter is a problem, let alone setting up an appointment for a repair. Nearest large town is about 40 miles away.

No recall for our splitter

There is a very select few serial numbers being recalled, Great news ours was not one of them.

Latest posts

Back