Huskee splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n1tlw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was wondering, does Huskee offer a log lift option for their splitters? On another note, I assume most people would consider Timber Wolf to be the best splitters, what brand would be 2nd? Thanks in advance for any info.

Larry

Log Lifter For Huskee

I'm not aware of a log lifter that is offered for (sale) use with a Huskee splitter. I'm sure at least one of our members has made his own. You might do a search on the subject -- someone may join in on this thread and post some photos.

Nosmo

Not sure on the lift. When the going gets tough I go vertical.

Yup

That's the theory behind the horizontal / vertical splitter. No lift necessary, just break the big stuff up using the vertical position.

As stated anything could be fabricated and added, but once installed a log lift will limit your access and pretty much force you to work from one side of the machine only. Your decision if that's an issue or not.

Look at American or Iron and Oak as alternatives to Timberwolf's no frills models. Once you get into the true heavy duty, commercial machines non are cheap even stripped down.

Take Care

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the comments. I thought about a verticle splitter, but too much bending over for me! I'm also looking at American CLS splitters. Anyone know where their closest dealer is to Montpelier, VT 05602?

Thanks,
Larry

Vertical Position

I tried the vertical position only one time and it was the last. The foot of the splitter kept the round from being in a flat position (the round was tilted) and it teeter-tottered and wobbled.

On the big ones I just pick 'em up with a crane and set them onto the cradle.

Nosmo

If you google Timberwolf splitters they have a model with a hand operated log lift, looks to work pretty sweet, I'm sure with some basic fabbing you could put one on any splitter. I couldn't imagine using one in the vertical position, I'm 6'-2" and I know it would kill my back. My brother has an mtd and has only ever put it vertical once and says "never again".

p.s. where in Vt? I'm only 4 miles from the border, I would say I grew up there but I'm not done growing up yet so I say I spent the first 40 years of my life there! :)

Yup

That's the theory behind the horizontal / vertical splitter. No lift necessary, just break the big stuff up using the vertical position.

As stated anything could be fabricated and added, but once installed a log lift will limit your access and pretty much force you to work from one side of the machine only. Your decision if that's an issue or not.

Look at American or Iron and Oak as alternatives to Timberwolf's no frills models. Once you get into the true heavy duty, commercial machines non are cheap even stripped down.

Take Care

===

I built a lift and work/catch table for our 37 ton Speeco about 4 or 5 years ago, it has not been in the verticle position since...

The lift and work/catch table can be switched from side to side as needed and can be operated from either side or from the end as needed, regardless of the position of the lift and work/catch table.
There are pages and pages of discussion on this subject, along with pctures on this forum. Just use the search fuction they will show up...

Huskee splitters go vertical. Splitters that go vertical, generally won't have a lift. It is usually one or the other. I use my Northern vertical for big ones that are too heavy alot. Sometimes I half or quarter all the big ones to a manageable size, then go horizontal. Sometimes I quarter one then sit on a log, split it and throw them on the conveyor. Horizontal is deffinatly faster, but I couldn't imagine not having the option.

I agree with the horizontal/vertical debate, too much bending over for me as I'm 6'5". The banger splitters are too small for us as well but some love those too so it ends up being what works best for you. The other consideration is how MUCH you are planning on doing. Doesn't make much sense to get $8000.00 in a splitter if you need 6 cord a year.

As others have said, if you're wanting one and have some tool access it wouldn't take much. You can rig up an electric winch with a lift table if you don't want to mess with the hydraulics. Take into consideration the weight you'll be adding to one side for the tip factor. I put stabilizers on mine when I built it to deal with that.

MVC-021S_33.JPG

MVC-018S_55.JPG

MVC-019S_54.JPG

I dealt with James at P&J and he has some nice splitters as well. He'll build to order too so the sky's the limit with them.

Log Splitter | Wood Splitters | Hydraulic Cylinders.

Great info guys, keep it comming. I have done alot of searching in this web site, but did not find any info about an add on log lift for Huskee splitters. I now assume that they do not make one. I also did not find any info about American CLS dealers near Montpelier,VT. I have also sent them an email, but still waiting for a reply. Being from Vermont I would love to support Timber Wolf, but I feel that their prices are a bit high for the everyday home owner, such as myself. And yes I get it, ("you get what you pay for") I guess if you have to pay $5000.00 + for a good quality splitter with a log lift, I will start buying my wood. I might try to retro fit my home made splitter with a lift, but that will be next years project. Waiting to see what American CLS has to say.

Happy Splitting,
Larry

Great info guys, keep it comming. I have done alot of searching in this web site, but did not find any info about an add on log lift for Huskee splitters. I now assume that they do not make one. I also did not find any info about American CLS dealers near Montpelier,VT. I have also sent them an email, but still waiting for a reply. Being from Vermont I would love to support Timber Wolf, but I feel that their prices are a bit high for the everyday home owner, such as myself. And yes I get it, ("you get what you pay for") I guess if you have to pay $5000.00 + for a good quality splitter with a log lift, I will start buying my wood. I might try to retro fit my home made splitter with a lift, but that will be next years project. Waiting to see what American CLS has to say.

Happy Splitting,
Larry

===

Husky an Spreeco are pretty much one an the same, may even be the same unit with different name. Doesn't really matter an add on hydraulic lift is very simple to build...just search on hydraulic lift, log lift or such terms...

Back