Husky 22 Ton Log Splitter Coupler Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waystro

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg First off this is my first post so still getting used to the site :laugh:
Anyway here's my problem we have a husky 22 ton log splitter that needs the couplers replaced but I can't figure out how to get them off :chainsaw:
Any tips?? Maybe a picture/video guide??

I removed all the set screws it slides up words alittle then stops. I tried prying but didn't want to damaged the pump. The bottom shaft doesn't have a key way like the top does. Who ever replaced them last got the coupler for the bottom that had a key way so it looks like they wedged a piece of metal in there to hold it. I'll get detailed pics later today. This is my first time working on this. Couldn't find anything about replacing these.

I'm going to have him look at it/fix it. If he doesn't fix it then I'll get out there.
On the top side it might be easier to unbolt the engine(looks like 4 bolts)

Bottom has to have a keyway or the cog would just spin on the shaft. Put a gear puller on the pump, previous installer boogered the end of the shaft, likely with a hammer.
Pump has a woodruff key (half moon shaped key)...the couplers are likely getting stuck on the burrs left from the set screws digging into the shaft, as I don't see any peening on the ends of the shafts...
A slide hammer or gear puller will pull them right off, they can be rented for a couple dollars if you don't have one...

Both Couplers are removed bottom is installed. This way just done by the guys that have done it before. I'll be installing the top coupler. So I insert keeper then slide on coupler. Then bolt pump back on alight it sound about right?

Both Couplers are removed bottom is installed. This way just done by the guys that have done it before. I'll be installing the top coupler. So I insert keeper then slide on coupler. Then bolt pump back on alight it sound about right?
Were you drinking heavily when you wrote this ??
Can't make sense of it..

Don't forget to tighten the setscrews.

And out of alignment...
Absolutely. Lovejoy and their imitators do not handle misalignment well. Use a straight edge and shims if necessary, 36o° to align. Also, if one or both shafts are out of round, replace or have them machined and sleeved. The coupling won't last long otherwise.

Once you get it running, inspect the coupling often for signs of wear. The spider is made of plastic; plastic shavings or particles means it's deteriorating.

Absolutely. Lovejoy and their imitators do not handle misalignment well. Use a straight edge and shims if necessary, 36o° to align. Also, if one or both shafts are out of round, replace or have them machined and sleeved. The coupling won't last long otherwise.

Once you get it running, inspect the coupling often for signs of wear. The spider is made of plastic; plastic shavings or particles means it's deteriorating.
I prefer to use chain couplings for these types of applications...they allow for around 2 degrees of misalignment, and last near forever. And they cost about the same as a jaw type coupler (Lovejoy)...

I don't think I would use a chain coupling on a gas engine. The engine vibes would go right into your pump. I think they're more for smoother motors like electric & hydraulic.

I don't think I would use a chain coupling on a gas engine. The engine vibes would go right into your pump. I think they're more for smoother motors like electric & hydraulic.
if your pump is direct mounted to the engine its going to transmit vibration into the pump no mater what...most larger equipment use a solid coupling (spline/keyed shaft) between pump and engine...
when the spider falls apart and the couplings are mashed together like the op's it really doesn't matter.
I use chain couplings because I like durability...they last near forever if the shafts are lined up properly...on my splitter my pump adapter is self centering, the shafts are concentric and parallel within .002", ill likely never have to replace the chain...even if I used a jaw type coupling id have to replace the spider x amount of times over the life of the machine due to the constant pressure the spider sees, and due to dry rot...
guess I just like things that last?:wtf:

Latest posts

Back