Husky 257 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
Ok husky guys, learn me on this one. What is the difference in the Husky 257 and the 357? Went to acres site and he dont have it listed.

Some quick differences: 357 clip on type air box, side chain tensioner. 257 screw on top cover, front chain tensioner.

First the 257 is completely different from 357.The 257 had a different crankcase,cyl(open ports),oil pump,shocks,etc.The 357 has a new everything,including a quad port cyl,spring shocks instead of rubber,quick removal top cover,different clutch with 3 springs instead of two,a rubber intake flange instead of a fiber block,etc.Its a much better saw than 257,i should say better performing saw than 257,smoother and much snappier throttle response than 257.

Thats what i was really wondering about. Closed port or open port cylinders for woods port purpose. Thanks.

357!

The 357 is definately way ahead, but if you wanted a saw that size and could get a good deal on it, I don't think it is horrible. as far as open vs closed I don't think I would let that be the only deciding factor, case in point the ms200t and the husky 268, I think the open ported 268 has a lot of potential the reason for the slight derate from the 268xp is a smaller intake width. Open port pistons have other advantages as well. This is my opinion and I can back my thoughts but I will also say that I am sure people have a preference for closed port for a reason. I think some of the reasons can be negated if porting is brought into the picture.

jmo

buck

HiOctane said:
First the 257 is completely different from 357.The 257 had a different crankcase,cyl(open ports),oil pump,shocks,etc.The 357 has a new everything,including a quad port cyl,spring shocks instead of rubber,quick removal top cover,different clutch with 3 springs instead of two,a rubber intake flange instead of a fiber block,etc.Its a much better saw than 257,i should say better performing saw than 257,smoother and much snappier throttle response than 257.
Right on, I believe - they belong to two totally different generation of saws, and are not really comparative, except the they are about the same size.

I am not sure that the 257 has an open-port cylinder, though.....

The 257 belong to the 154-family (154se, 254, 262xp, 254xp, 257 and 261), while the 357xp, 359 and the (short-lived I believe) 355 is a newer family of saws.

The 357xp replaced the 254xp, and the 359 replaced rne 257.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back