Husky 3120xp RPM's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraMtns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went out to setup up my new 3120 and run it for awhile to break it in. I put on a 32" bar and fresh chain and hit some logs. I noticed that it kept hitting the rev limiter. Not sure what that is set at but it seems like around 9,500 which seems really low. I did a couple cuts but didn't seem to be running well. Not sure if this is normal? I did a short video to show how it was acting.

What do you guys think? Normal? Its going to be running a 50" bar and 404 chain for milling.

Thanks

Peak power is 8.4hp at 9000 rpms...they used to be limited to like 11k but in recent years it seems like they've lowered it again under 10,000.

Maybe they figure 9500 no load...and drop to peak power in the cut?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

They are slow from the factory but srill have a good amount of torque. It is the Limited coil.

If you’re hitting the rev limiter a lot then grind your depth gauges down just a tad more. Just do it with baby steps. Dont grind a lot off.

Or find an unlimited 372 or 272 coil (i think thats right, correct me if im wrong) for it. Timing will have to be changed too.

@huskihI

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I'd like to know what ignition folks run to unlimit the rpms. 9500 on a saw in 2020 is a bit slow, but hey the 3120 has been around for decades.

As i said. Im fairly certain it was a 272 coil that Kevin put in mine. My guess it im running around 12,000 now.

As i said. Im fairly certain it was a 272 coil that Kevin put in mine. My guess it im running around 12,000 now.

272 coil and I installed the adjustable H jet in the carb. Plus did some other stuff to it...

272 coil and I installed the adjustable H jet in the carb. Plus did some other stuff to it...

Right,

I know you did a bunch of different stuff. I remember it to the best of my ability [emoji1787]

Just was not 100% sure on which coil you used. Thanks for confirming.

The Jason Egan woods ported 3120 that I was tuning for local was turning 14's. I turned it down with the H side carb to around 12. One with V-stack.

My stock unlimited coil 3120 turned 13.1K with stock carb with no H side. Used it for ripping and practice saw back in the day. Then sold and local used it for awhile then I bought it back recently. Now it is sold again and to become a west coast big wood race saw.

h3120praa.jpgh3120vstt.jpg

Just a note, but there are 2 different flywheels on the 3120. I have a new one that came with the green factory 9500 coil. A 272 coil was plug and play on mine with the exception of some relief needed on the coil leg to match the radius of the big 3120 flywheel. My buddy had a 3120 with the older black coil (I think the 11k) and his flywheel was over 90* off from where mine was-the ignition was Severely retarded and the saw barely ran.

I also have a carb that has been modded as well as a generous muff mod.

I can say that it’s a dud tuned to 10k and pretty damn good at 12k and still safe. I use mine exclusively for milling with .404.

The 3120 and the ms880 are EPA gutless dog's and nothing like how they used to run.
I'd probably wait for the ms881 to hit the shelf before buying a big saw now day's.
Gutless dog, your apparently have not ran one. My new MS880 has none of the lastest EPA additions on it. THe speed and unreal torque is for using a 5' bar. If you want speed get a MS660 with a 3' bar.

i5WfGQf.jpg

Gutless dog, your apparently have not ran one. My new MS880 has none of the lastest EPA additions on it. THe speed and unreal torque is for using a 5' bar. If you want speed get a MS660 with a 3' bar.

i5WfGQf.jpg
I believe he was comparing them to the pre epa stuff. They’re definitely dogs compared to the older models. The 3120 ends up almost 2.5 times faster when it’s woods ported and de-limited

i5WfGQf.jpg
What are you talking about? Is that stock? or ported I was talking stock they are dog's STOCK now days.

Latest posts

Back