Husky 3120xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superior72

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for some info on my new saw. I just purchased a new 3120xp and it seems that it takes an awful lot of time to get up to Rpm when running. I don't know if it is a tuning issue or if I may just be missing something. Using premium gas mixed 32:1 just as it recommends. Also had a hell of a time trying to get it started today HELP!:cry:

need a little more info....

Does it "hestitate" when you punch the throttle, or doe it just stumble its way to full rpm?

husky

Thanks for the reply. It just seems to stumble, almost like it is flooding and sometimes will even stall when applying throttle.This is brand new. about half an hour running. Could it possibly be some factory setting?:bang:

Your owners manual should have a section on adjusting the carb... however, it's not unusual behavior from a cold saw. Particularly a new, cold saw. Try running it some more, and let it idle and warm up before putting it in wood.

To start, set choke & pull till it 'pops' (fires). Then push in choke fully and pull a few more times till it starts.

Nice saw.

It sounds like your L adjust is a bit too lean - try turning it slightly richer - counter clockwise. Carb adjustment should be in your user manual.

As its so new I'd recomend you take it back to your dealer... That's one expensive saw to have go bad on you... and if it's other than a simple adjustment, make it their problem.

coveredinsap said:
Your owners manual should have a section on adjusting the carb... however, it's not unusual behavior from a cold saw. Particularly a new, cold saw. Try running it some more, and let it idle and warm up before putting it in wood.

To start, set choke & pull till it 'pops' (fires). Then push in choke fully and pull a few more times till it starts.

Nice saw.

I beg to differ... it is unusual for a cold saw... or any saw, and if your saws do it, fix them. I think he knows how to start it..

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, i'll try these things tomorrow and see how it runs. If it does not seem to fix things i'll have to get it looked at. Also it wasn't cold whem it happened i had run it about a half an hour before for 15 min.

Lakeside53 said:
It sounds like your L adjust is a bit too lean - try turning it slightly richer - counter clockwise. Carb adjustment should be in your user manual.

As its so new I'd recomend you take it back to your dealer... That's one expensive saw to have go bad on you... and if it's other than a simple adjustment, make it their problem.

Good advice Andy. Sounds very lean on the low circuit if it is stalling upon acceleration. I would be taking back to the dealer and ask why it wasn't set up right the first time, with only a half an our run time? Must have been an internet buy, eh?

I just bought the saw this afternoon and used it until i think i peeved the neighbors off enough! Have to use again tomorrow.

superior72 said:
I'm looking for some info on my new saw. I just purchased a new 3120xp and it seems that it takes an awful lot of time to get up to Rpm when running. I don't know if it is a tuning issue or if I may just be missing something. Using premium gas mixed 32:1 just as it recommends. Also had a hell of a time trying to get it started today HELP!:cry:
If its new shouldn't it go back to the dealer for warentee? :yoyo:

It should be up to revs in little more time than it took you to read "it". It never hurts to try to richen up the carb, but if you play with it and can't get it worked out in a couple of minutes, take it back to the dealer. Listen to Andy, that was some great advice.

Mark

tuning

It sounds like a tuning problem. If the dealer has a good mechanic get him to tune it. The saw should take less than a miniute to warmup and after that it should run well. A word of advice, if you get it tuned to jump from idle to wot, no hesitation, do not hand your saw to a homeowner to try out. They are used to and expect the saw to take it's time to run up to full speed. You'll have them running off to change their pants. You'll want to tune it once again after you get 10-15 tanks of gas through the saw if it is running different after it gets broken in.

superior72 said:

Do the Saw Dealers in Nth America allow you to play around with the tuning whilst under warranty ? In Australia any unauthorised work not carried out by a Dealer whilst under warranty can void it . Take it back to the Dealer that's what their paid to do . I have no trouble in cold weather with my 395XP and it does snow here in winter where we are .

Thanks for the info guys, I took the saw back to the dealer yesterday and he gave it a minor adjust as I did'nt feel comfortable doing it on a new saw.Now I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I got more wood to cut so i gotta go :rock:

Rooshooter said:
Do the Saw Dealers in Nth America allow you to play around with the tuning whilst under warranty ? In Australia any unauthorised work not carried out by a Dealer whilst under warranty can void it . Take it back to the Dealer that's what their paid to do . I have no trouble in cold weather with my 395XP and it does snow here in winter where we are .

Sure, and they put carb adjustment in the owners manual, but if you mess it up they aren't going to honor any warranty...

Latest posts

Back