Husky 346 & Firewood...Good Combo!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was out blocking up some firewood this morning, taking advantage of the coolish temperature. Anyhow I was using my 346, I know a few of you think that the 346 is borderline for a firewood saw.....I gotta disagree!!!! In my opinion it's ideal for stuff up to about 16-18". I know I'm going to get a little flack from the guys with "big saw syndome", oh well. I've got larger saws too, but the 346 is just a pleasure to run.

Jeff

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was a little bored so I did a few timed cuts with the 346, I didn't have a stop watch so I used the 1,001...1,002...1,003 method LOL OK here's the results...

14" black locust....17 sec.
12" soft maple......9 sec.

My times may have been a little off, I haven't calibrated my internal stop watch lately...come to think of it, it never has been!!!!
I didn't say it was the fastest saw. Just a pleasure to run!!!! LOL

Jeff

I would have to agree, I find myself picking up my 346 everytime i start to do anything. I only resort to bigger saws for stumping now. The one I have is walkerized so it has a little more power than stock. When I get some more money I think im going to get one from Dan, and give this one to my dad. I think its a great saw.

A buddy of mine had a large top blow out of a red oak during the 4th. 18 in. dia. Finaly had a chance to use my 394 with 8 tooth sprocket/20 in. bar. Didnt time any cuts,but it definately picked up the pace.

I know what you mean about the heat YUKON.

I was seeing visions of a 385xpg pp!!

Frankly,IMO the 46-54 cc class saws are the most useful saws for most people-whether a weekend firewood cutter or an arborist bucking brush to feed to the chipper. Ironically the 3 CID class saws are the ones I use the most but if I had to reduce my arsenal they would be the first to go. I have to have a small saw for use aloft. I have to have a 4CID/70cc class saw for blocking takedowns and cutting stumps. I like the idea of having various bigger saws and I use the 3 CID class the most but "Real big" and "small mediums" are dispensible.

Obviously nobody was impressed with my timed cuts.....and why should they be? This saw only has a modded muffler and a semi dull chain. Maybe I should send the 346 and have a full woods mod done and run some Art Martin square ground racing chain....or a least have Gypo do a 90 second tickle. I bet you guys would stand up a pay attention then ehh!!!!!!!! LOL

Jeff :D :D

Back