Husky 346XP NE vs. Stihl MS 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Husqvarna 353, ne346XP, Makita DCS540, and lightly used Stihl 026. The 50cc 346xp has the most power, followed by the Makita(Dolmar), and the 353 and 026 seem to be pretty evenly matched. All of these saws are of similar weight and handle very nicely.

With 18" bar and 3/8" chain, the 346xp and Makita leave the 026 and 353 (with 16" .325) behind when the wood gets past 10-12".

If you're looking for more performance than the 50cc saws offer, and don't want to go too heavy, consider a 372XP or Jonsered 2171. The next more powerful and heavier would be the MS460. These might be overkill, but certainly will get it done more quickly, and are capable of much larger than 24" wood. My 066 weighs 22#+ with 25" bar, so only gets used on occasion.

If you want a new firewood saw and you have been running a stihl 034 super than you do not want a 50cc saw. You want a stihl ms361 with a 18'' bar. Hard to beat for a firewood saw!!!

Last edited:
I love my 260 and I got it instead of the 346 or PS5100 solely because I bought it slightly used for significantly less money than either new. I drilled 2 3/8" holes behind the screen in the muffler cover, readjusted the carb, and it runs very well now. A lot of trustworthy people here prefer the 346 to the 260. It must be a whale of a saw because the 260 is a very nice one.

346xp all the way! Nice saw. Very nice in fact.

Yes, or the MS361 if it is a direct replacement for the 034.

The MS260 is a nice saw for sure, but a relic in many ways, and way down on power compared to the 5100S and NE346xp......:)

The 346 is the accelleration champ, and the most ergonomic and best handling saw in the 50cc class, imo - so the choise is real easy, even though the 5100S is cheaper in the US.
The 260 is way overpriced in the US.

Last edited:
At least I didn't have to buy six 346's to make sure I got on that ran!
So how much cheaper are those half dozen 5100's???

Al - Ha ha ha :clap: :clap: :clap:

I didn't have to buy any. I bought 6 because I can....LOL...........I might buy 6 2153's.....If the price is right...

You know where my dealer is you can call him for a price....

Last edited:
At least I didn't have to buy six 346's to make sure I got on that ran!
So how much cheaper are those half dozen 5100's???

Al - Ha ha ha :clap: :clap: :clap:

I didn't have to buy any. I bought 6 because I can....LOL...........I might buy 6 2153's.....If the price is right...

You know where my dealer is you can call him for a price....

Hey Ultra what kinda deal can you get on 346XPNE or the jonavrnee 2153's when u buy sixers???????????

Scott

maybe if I buy 5 more 2153's I might find one that impresses me....... instead of one with casting flaws and no power....... and loose av mounts

Scott

Hey Ultra what kinda deal can you get on 346XPNE or the jonavrnee 2153's when u buy sixers???????????

Scott

Not even close to the price................I'll bet 75.00+ tax ea more...before that silly muffler tax...

My local guy quoted 425+ tax and muffler extra.........in a 6 pack.

Last edited:
Not even close to the price................I'll bet 75.00+ tax ea more...before that silly muffler tax...

My local guy quoted 425+ tax and muffler extra.........in a 6 pack.

I recently learned that the muffler tax is gone for the moment - at least regarding the Husky.........:clap: :clap:

Over here, you have to pay extra if you want the bad (cat) muffler.

Last edited:
Or maybe you would quit acting like an ass?

I want to stay out of that discussion - he is not the only dealer doing that in the brand discussions, and sometimes rightfully - but then there are those other times, like in this thread.......:censored:

Spike is the exemple to be followed.......:clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back