Husky 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
I just bought a used 346XPG g= heated hand grips and carb

Havent used it much yet but it seems to be a well respected saw
on the board.

DobemanXX said:
Hi
I just bought a used 346XPG g= heated hand grips and carb

Havent used it much yet but it seems to be a well respected saw
on the board.
thank you keep me posted on how it does

Stan, I have 2. They are excellent saws in their intended role. They also take very well to modifications.

Hired Gun

Hello Hired Gun and thank you.Is the list below the saws you have?
If so whick like best between Husky 346 xp or Dolmar 5100

I can't really compare them. The 346's I have are modified and the one 5100 that is being modified has not reached my hands yet.

Hired Gun said:
I can't really compare them. The 346's I have are modified and the one 5100 that is being modified has not reached my hands yet.
ok I just checked at my local dealer on a 346 xp they said 500.00 if they could still get it.Is this about right

stan_1966 said:
ok I just checked at my local dealer on a 346 xp they said 500.00 if they could still get it.Is this about right
$500 seems high to me. I was looking and comparing a Husky 353 and Stihl MS280 a month or so ago at my dealer. While I was there I also looked at a Husky 346XP and Stihl MS260 Pro briefly. I can't remember the exact price they wanted for the 346XP but I want to say $440ish with a 18 inch bar. Like I said I was more interested in the 353 ($389 w/16" bar) then the 346XP.

great saw

i agree it's great for limbing and small stuff but like the rest of us soon you will want something bigger that takes a bigger bite, This is what happened to me. I love my 346xp but i love my stihl 650 more, save money in the long run and get a 441 or better 460 and have fun

NYH1 said:
$500 seems high to me. I was looking and comparing a Husky 353 and Stihl MS280 a month or so ago at my dealer. While I was there I also looked at a Husky 346XP and Stihl MS260 Pro briefly. I can't remember the exact price they wanted for the 346XP but I want to say $440ish with a 18 inch bar. Like I said I was more interested in the 353 ($389 w/16" bar) then the 346XP.
thank you MYH1 500 sounded abit high to me also

346 price is 474.95 w/18" bar. That is Huskys "Power Price". At least in this neck of the woods.

I would still go with the Dolmar 5100 at about $399 with the 3/8 chain.

441 Stihl

Treeman I admit the 441 or 440 are my dream saws.Just not sure how much they are and if I have that much to put into 1

I can't say much about the 5100, but have seen a few post recently on failures and carb issues. I think any saw getting that kind of attention is going to get some bad press as well as good.

I have a 346XP and love it. I wrote a review several years ago on the "EPINIONS" website:

http://www.epinions.com/content_163040169604

I'm not a professional sawyer, but have used a number of saws and love to cut when I can. I just modified the muffler and can't wait to use it (you can search for that post also), I think it will be a real screamer. Was before I started. Unmodified I it is absolutely incredible with the 16" bar, a little slower with the 20" which is pushing it for a 46cc saw. I'm hoping it will pull the 20" bar even better with the modifications.

I decided to get a 372XP for bigger lumber before it became scarce. If I'm going to cut smaller wood, I fit the 16" on the 346 and a 20" on the 372. If I'm going to be cutting larger wood I put a 20" on the 346 and a 24" on the 372. I always switch to the 346 as soon as possible because it's really light and incredibly fast in the smaller wood (under 14" diameter).

One more thing...

Failed to mention last night that one great feature of the 5100 over the 346xp is the internal clutch. I find changing the chain out a little harder on the 346 than on my 372 (with internal clutch).

Not a big deal, but I would prefer the internal clutch, all else being equal or better.

Imo, changing chains is not the main issue with outboard sprockets.

The main issues is that the saw clogs up real fast under the sprocket cover when ripcutting, and it is less covenient to change sprockets.

It is really a trade-off, as an outboard allows for a slimmer saw body.

All these +/- may or may not be an issue to the user in question.....:givebeer:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back