Husky 350 3/8" pitch upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought every body was running 3/8 pitch on their 346's and up?
It makes me wonder why Stihl and husky don't make this standard.
It's probably a safety chain thing.
Gypo

No, it definately is not a "safety chain thing" - the level of kickback reduction is the same as with the 3/8" chain that come on larger saws. Husky come with ANSI "yellow" chain (not low kick-back), and Stihl usually with "green" (ANSI low kick-back) in the US, regardless if they are .325 or 3/8".

Over here both brands come with "yellow". I don't know about Canada.

No, it definately is not a "safety chain thing" - the level of kickback reduction is the same as with the 3/8" chain that come on larger saws. Husky come with ANSI "yellow" chain (not low kick-back), and Stihl usually with "green" (ANSI low kick-back) in the US, regardless if they are .325 or 3/8".

Over here both brands come with "yellow". I don't know about Canada.

Regardless, 325 is a good chain for home owners and the casual saw user. Lol
3/8 is a much superior chain IMHO.

Saw troll, I think we're both having fun contradicting each other today. Lol

Gypo

WH, trying to convince 80% of members here to switch to 3/8 on a 50cc saw is almost as hard as trying to convince them to run a 16" bar when that's all they need, but hey, it's their saw and they can do what they want.
Gypo

I sure agree with you on the 16" issue, but a lot of members have "seen the light" by now! :givebeer:

Saw troll, I think we're both having fun contradicting each other today. Lol

Gypo

:cheers: Yes, someone have to contradict you - you have a tendency to over-simplify things, just a bit....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That is probably because you "always" were a pro, and not just an informed "land-owner" (Husky term) like me.

Not very long ago, I would have disagreed with that, but recent experience has me thinking that you are 100% correct.

First, another dealer who is a really sharp guy told me that a 346NE with a 16" 3/8 set up is a real nice package and that it wakes up the saw even more than it already is. Second, a good customer came in about a week ago and coincidentally asked me to do exactly that to his 346. His reasoning was pretty much identical to the OP's. When I was doing the swap, I noticed that the 3/8 rim had the larger diameter as posted earlier, and figured there was going to be a little gain in chain speed.

Well, the guy stopped in today and said the saw is absolutely awesome. "Went through oak like it was butter". Gonna have to try this on one of mine. :cheers:

I thought about this and it makes sense. The 55Rancher at 53cc was rated at only 3.2hp vs the 346NE's 3.7hp. And those ranchers all went out with 3/8 18" and 20" bars. So, if that saw could handle 3/8, then the 346 should have no problem. With a 16" bar, the OP's 350, (3.1hp) could probably handle it as well.

I thought about this and it makes sense. The 55Rancher at 53cc was rated at only 3.2hp vs the 346NE's 3.7hp. And those ranchers all went out with 3/8 18" and 20" bars. So, if that saw could handle 3/8, then the 346 should have no problem. With a 16" bar, the OP's 350, (3.1hp) could probably handle it as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, they never came with full chisel chain like the woodland pro 38RC the OP is using. I would think it takes a bit more HP to pull a full chisel chain than a semi-chisel or bumper link safety chain of the same pitch. I had a dolmar 510 a while back that ran fine with the factory 3/8safety chain and 18" bar (although it was like cutting wood with a hacksaw) when I switched to a winsor 50APL full chisel chain the saw stalled under even moderate pressure. I think .325 pitch or a 3/8 semi-chisel would be the best choice.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, they never came with full chisel chain like the woodland pro 38RC the OP is using. I would think it takes a bit more HP to pull a full chisel chain than a semi-chisel or bumper link safety chain of the same pitch. I had a dolmar 510 a while back that ran fine with the factory 3/8safety chain and 18" bar (although it was like cutting wood with a hacksaw) when I switched to a winsor 50APL full chisel chain the saw stalled under even moderate pressure. I think .325 pitch or a 3/8 semi-chisel would be the best choice.

Because of the 53 CC's, I think that the 55Ranchers all came with that "vangard" chain, but they all wound up with full chisel replacement chains at some point, because that's all we sell. Everyone was happier with the performance with the better chain than with the vangard stuff.

The one that I did for my customer was with Carlton A1LM full chisel.

I would think that the Dolmar 510 should be able to handle full chisel; maybe it just needed a carb adjustment?

I would think that the Dolmar 510 should be able to handle full chisel; maybe it just needed a carb adjustment?

It's possible, but I don't think so. To me that saw was a big disappointment. But then again I've always been a fan of the 70cc class saws for just about everything. Maybe I just expected to much from it.:chainsaw:

Worthaug, Go for it!!!

Your question makes perfect sense. Your 350 will probably be faster with 3/8 because your probably only using this saw for wood 6" or less. Once you get to a larger size wood, the .325 will cut faster with it's smaller gear and & kerf. I say this because I recently switched my 53cc saw from .325 to 3/8 and it seems way faster in wood >10". It's nice to have only one size chain/files to have to cary. Give her a try and let us know!! BTW, remeber to look for husky small mount bars: Oregon's with a K095 at the end, etc.

One other thing to remember is that when switching from a spur to a rim system, you have to change the oil drive gear so it mates up with the drum properly. :cheers:

Not very long ago, I would have disagreed with that, but recent experience has me thinking that you are 100% correct.

First, another dealer who is a really sharp guy told me that a 346NE with a 16" 3/8 set up is a real nice package and that it wakes up the saw even more than it already is. Second, a good customer came in about a week ago and coincidentally asked me to do exactly that to his 346. His reasoning was pretty much identical to the OP's. When I was doing the swap, I noticed that the 3/8 rim had the larger diameter as posted earlier, and figured there was going to be a little gain in chain speed.

Well, the guy stopped in today and said the saw is absolutely awesome. "Went through oak like it was butter". Gonna have to try this on one of mine. :cheers:

Well, I have a 3/8" set-up for my 346xp, but as it doesn't help the 5100S (over .325 x7 or 8), I never tried it on the 346 (and ran out of uniform wood in the only "testing" session I ever did). It was the lowest priority option to "test".

My saws are stock, minus spark screen.

I guess I have to try it anyway, based on your post - GRRRR :cheers:

Last edited:
Spike, can an older 345 or 350 use the same pump drive gear"worm wheel" as the 346 new addition 3/8x7?

350 yes, but probably not the 345.

This is actually a somewhat complicated pain in the butt, and I have to look things up to be sure, but it should go something like this: The 340/345 with the non adjustable oil pump used a different gear than the 350. The 350 and 353 use the same pump as the 346, but as I stated, the gear is different for the spur system vs the rim system as it mates to the drum.

I'll look this stuff up at the store and be back with corrections and apologies if necessary. :dizzy:

It fits others saws besides the 350.
I'll agree with the others, it's not the best set-up, but go for it.
I bet none of the people who shot you down have actually tried it.

I didn't shoot him down yet but I'm getting ready to right now.

I have actually tried it. I swapped out the 18" .325 7 tooth setup on my 350 for the 20" 3/8s 7 tooth from my 262 and tried it in some 12-16" hardwood.

Only took a few cuts to see first hand that the 350 aint got enough ass for the 3/8's setup.

The 350 does seem fine with the 20lp as well as the 95VP chain and in fact is one of my favorite saws.

I have actually tried it. I swapped out the 18" .325 7 tooth setup on my 350 for the 20" 3/8s 7 tooth from my 262 and tried it in some 12-16" hardwood.

Only took a few cuts to see first hand that the 350 aint got enough ass for the 3/8's setup.

The 350 does seem fine with the 20lp as well as the 95VP chain and in fact is one of my favorite saws.

:agree2:

I run lpx on my 350s and I really love those saws - perfect balance of weight and power.

The mistake with your test was in using the 20" bar. You'll see the difference when using a 16" bar, however, this is all just part of the modding process.
John

Back