Husky 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have had an urge to buy a New saw. My last new one was a 028 back in 1985. I have looked at the Husky 350 and it seems like a well balanced saw. For under $300 this seems like a good deal. Does anyone own one? Is it worth the extra cost to go to the 345? This saw will see just minimal use. Camp chores, firewood duties ext. How is the power with a 16 inch bar? Any information will be appriciated, Ken

Ken, if you haven't bought a new saw for 20 years, live a little and get a Husky xp like a 346xp or 357xp. I had an 028 years ago, good saw.

Hey KenSkip1 use the search on firewood saw there's lots of info on the
350. You do know this saw has a plastic crank case (still great saw for your
described use) yet for about $40 more the 353 is a much better saw,
W/magnesium crank case, alittle more hp, and close to the same weight.
Look at the search both are great saws,but some here will try to talk you
into a more expensive XP or even Stihl but go with what your comfortable
with and your bugget. And have fun! :blob5:

Mike E.

If the price is not too much an issue ,get a 353.Its a pro saw at low price but more than 300.00 .At least with a 353,you wont have a plastic crankcase,better hp but a bit more weight.Dont know US price.

Kenskip,

I can't answer your question about the 350, having never used one. My post to your question is simply this: Prepare to be delighted when you get your new saw, whichever you choose! I spanned 19 years between saw purchases and the new saws are amazing. I took a step up, ok a leap, from a Pioneer Partner 500 to a Husqvarna 372xp. If you have the $$$ and cut any volume of wood more than cleaning up downed branches and making firewood bundles for camp, follow clearance's suggestion and you will not be dissapointed. I'm going out to cut tomorrow with one of my friends, I always look forward to running the "new" saw. Good luck with your selection! I'm sure some other folks with first-hand knowledge of the 350 will respond.

I have used the 350 with a 16 inch bar and it will work fine for what you described. It's similar to the 51 I have owned for 10 years. A great saw with no problems. I agree with other's comments that for a few dollars more the 353 should be considered. Especially if this is another 20 year saw.

Some may say go higher in power. If you can afford it fine. A little extra HP seldom hurts. However, based on you description you will not need it.

Kenskip1 said:
I have had an urge to buy a New saw. My last new one was a 028 back in 1985. I have looked at the Husky 350 and it seems like a well balanced saw. For under $300 this seems like a good deal. Does anyone own one? Is it worth the extra cost to go to the 345? This saw will see just minimal use. Camp chores, firewood duties ext. How is the power with a 16 inch bar? Any information will be appriciated, Ken

My dad has one, it's very underpowered. I wouldn't bother with one unless you run a 14 inch bar and plan on cutting small stuff only with it. It's not the saw to have if you plan on cutting a tree down, unless the tree is only 8 inches in diameter or smaller. On paper, I don't see how going to the 353 will matter much. I'm not sure on how the husky line is as far as what is in the Pro line and the lower cost homeowners line, but the 359 looks like a decent balance of weight and power if the price is right.

Last edited:
clearance said:
Ken, if you haven't bought a new saw for 20 years, live a little and get a Husky xp like a 346xp or 357xp. I had an 028 years ago, good saw.

I can agree with that to a point. An experienced saw user, at the homeowner level, will find the Husky 357xp, Stihl 036/361 a delight to use. But unless larger 8 plus inch diameter hard wood is being cut, the 357xp/361 might be slight overkill.

You might also look at the Efco/John Deere 952, the Solo 651sp or the Dolmar/Makita 540, all near the price range of the 350.

I've used the 350. Cuts beautifully with plenty of power. The only thing I dislike about Husky is they just don't crank as easily as a Stihl. At least that's what I've found. I've ran almost every Stihl models as well as many Husky models and the Stihls have always fired from a cold start with fewer (one to two pulls) pulls verses Husky (six plus). Echo also starts very quickly and easily. Other than that the 350 is an outstanding saw with plenty of power, light, easy to manuver, fast acceleration and power to spare. I have a 350 with less than an hour on it I will be putting on ebay soon if you're interested in it. I live in Alabama.

If you're having issues with your Husky saws being hard to start, then they likely are in need of a carb tuning. There is no reason they should take more pulls than other similar saws to start if they are properly tuned and in good condition.

Husky's usually take longer to start when they are cold-so what. I have noticed this as well, but if thats the only complaint.... Especially since the have decomp on almost all saws now, I always thought that if someone couldn't start a saw they shouldn't use it.

clearance said:
I always thought that if someone couldn't start a saw they shouldn't use it.

Exactly, if you can't start the saw, how can you safely and properly run it? starting the saw is a very small amount of effort compared to using it.

TimberPig said:
If you're having issues with your Husky saws being hard to start, then they likely are in need of a carb tuning. There is no reason they should take more pulls than other similar saws to start if they are properly tuned and in good condition.

Agreed, try richening the lo screw.

Russ

Kenskip1 said:
The 350 is a terrible saw. Try a 353 or Stihl MS260. Cheers buddy.

Simonizer said:
The 350 is a terrible saw. Try a 353 or Stihl MS260. Cheers buddy.

Simon,

Why do you say that about the 350? It is a very good homeowner saw and runs nice and smooth. What specifically makes it "terrible"?
Not everyone needs, wants or has to pony up for pro saws out in the real world.

Max said:
Simon,

Why do you say that about the 350? It is a very good homeowner saw and runs nice and smooth. What specifically makes it "terrible"?
Not everyone needs, wants or has to pony up for pro saws out in the real world.
Sorry Max, I just find them to be lacking quality. You are correct though, they are an "economy" model. I will try to be more kind in the future.

No apology needed. I was just wondering what may have jaded you about that saw. One of my saws is a 340 for around the home & small stuff, works fine.

I've had a Husky 345 for a few years which I use for firewood. It's very nice to use once you learn how to start it.

Scotland is cold and damp and we get the worst possible weather. In case you don't know this is when the temperature matches the "triple point of water", ie. the temperature when the solid, liquid and vapour are in perfect equilibrium, ie. freezing with 100% humidity.

Anyway, the trick with the small Husky is to turn off the choke at the very faintest suggestion of it firing. Otherwise forget it.

Back