Husky 353 E-tech impressions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 353 E-Tech is shipped lean from the factory. We bought one about a year ago, local dealer threw in an extra chain loop for good measure. Had to buy the saw case separately, though.

My first impression was sluggish throttle. Learned later from Sawtroll and the others here that the OEM cat muffler and lean carb setting should go. With a non-cat and the carb richened up a bit, it opened up. It ain't sluggish no more.

I've laid in around 7 cords of wood with it so far. It walks. :)

My first impression was sluggish throttle. Learned later from Sawtroll and the others here that the OEM cat muffler and lean carb setting should go. With a non-cat and the carb richened up a bit, it opened up. It ain't sluggish no more.

That makes me feel a bit better. If this were my saw I'd have done that by now, but I dont think my buddy wants me messin' with it. I am seriously considering buying a 346 from nmurph when I get the money, so knowing these things helps my decision.

Eric

...guess I better get home and get in the shop. I just sold my last one to someone with zero posts. I hope he wasn't a Fed.

Take your time, it's gonna be a while before the ol lady lets me buy one. In the meantime I'm going to drive myself nuts waiting to buy one...

Eric

Don't cut the CAT muffler open its got some nasty stuff inside buy a non-CAT and mod it.

There is nothing inside a CAT muffler that you don't breathe in spades when it is running.

So what exactly would I have to do to my e-Cat muffler to open it up? Remove the entire baffle? Add _____ square inches of extra exhaust opening on the outside?

Thanks.

Philbert

It is a good bit of work to neuter a CAT. I have done several 346 mufflers, but all I have is spare time.

You need either a bandsaw or a grinder with a cut-off disc to split the muffler at the seam. Then you WILL need a 4" cut-off disc to cut the CAT plate out. Then you need a belt sander so that you can get the halves to match up flush. Then you will have to either braze or MIG the whole thing up. Then a grinder to smooth the joint. Then you need to decide if you want to paint it!!
I can do one in about 30 minutes, less any painting. For the cost of a new one, I can pay myself pretty good to mod an existing CAT

I was looking inside a 359e muffler today. Could they make the holes in the plate any smaller??

That isn't a typical husky "feature" - rather the opposite!

At least the 353 really shouldn't be like that at all.

The 142ss are severely muffler restricted (in the US), and cheap Poulan made duds anyway. They are better outside the US though, more like the 141 and 41.

HEY!!!

Not true at all Niko!
Just remember that it is a entry level homeowner saw.
For an entry level homeowner, they are GREAT!!

They mod pretty well too!

Ported 142 Husqvarna - YouTube

Mike

So you got a significant performance increase just by going to a non-Cat muffler, but without modding it? Just installed in and re-turned the carb?

Thanks.

Philbert

Yup, that's all I did to it. It performs better and doesn't get hot as quickly.

I agree! My little 136 responded very well to mods. Outcuts a 55rancher!

Opening the muffler on my 137 made a HUGE difference to it. I'm going to race my buddies 51 with it:msp_biggrin:. Problem is the saw is cheap and doesnt take full time use very long.I'm waiting for it to blow up for my new 346xp purchase but the thing keeps screaming:wink2:.No I won't lean it out to blow it up--but have thought about it:D

Back