Husky 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yes usually I'm a stihl guy but i need a cheap saw for limbing at the chipper.
Baileys has the 353 on sale till the end of the week so I guess I'll order one and give it a try. My question is it goes with a 18" bar and a .312 chain. Would it be a .050 or .063? No where can i find this info or how many links it will be. I'd like to order a couple of extra chains for it.I keep a roll of 3/8" X .050 here which all my stihls run except the 200's. So I'll run the .312 till i smoke the bar and swap over to 3/8"
Anyone?

I hope he means .325!!!!!!!!!! If memory serves David, it's 72dl, and it should be .050.

YUp, 72dl. I wouldn't be to afraid to convert that saw to 3/8's, if that is what you mainly buy, just keep it sharp. See if you can order it with a 3/8's sprocket?

Thanks! It's a package deal so i'll wait till the bar gets smoked then swap it.

I'd be afraid to swap it to 3/8 at that hp. I think the debate would be for regular .325 or a narrow kerf set up. Don't take my advice though, I don't know much.
I got this from the Bar and Chain Selector, below. Looks like 72 DL. I like their Wood,Pro in .325, nice chips out of the box. Can you get a 16" bar swapped out, do you need the 18?
Select Parts

Product: Chainsaw
Manufacturer: Husqvarna
Model: 353
Bar Length: 18"
Pitch: .325
Gauge:
Sort By:

Chains

Part Number Description Drive Links Pitch Gauge Price Shopping List
WPL 18 20NK72 18" WoodsmanPRO Chain Loop 72 .325 .050 $9.95

Bars

Part Number Description Drive Links Pitch Gauge Price Shopping List
APNK 18 SJ50 18" ArborPRO Narrow Kerf Bar 72 .325 .050 $18.95

Last edited:
You like the saw?

Its a good saw.

I just got it back from Washington Pro Saws, with a Stage II level of mods.

I haven't got to cut a lot of wood, but I like it better. I have a 20" regular kerf B&C setup on it now, so I can't compare to what I thought it ran like with the 18" NK B&C setup to guage the improvements from the mods... but its running strong.

Yeah .325 my fubar

I believe that the ".325" chains actually are .3125, or so.

3/8" ain't .375 either, more like .367......:biggrinbounce2:

Standard on the 353 should either be .050 narrow kerf, or regular .058 - but I guess it may be regular .050 also, some places in the US.....

...never .063 though.

At least one member here have tested 95VP vs 21LP vs 23RS on the 353 in 14" wood (I believe), and he found the 95VP to be fastest.

Last edited:
I like 8t x .325 on my 353, seems to perform well althou im using 95vp (cant get chisel here :cry: )

Bought mine from Norwalk Power. Their setup came with Oregon 95VP 80 link chain. The bar is a 20" #508-92-61-80 (weird that I have this saved), but I had a very frustrating time buying two 72 link chains and having to return them.

Try and get one with a black gas cap. I had to change out my muffler and it runs much nicer now.

Bought mine from Norwalk Power. Their setup came with Oregon 95VP 80 link chain. The bar is a 20" #508-92-61-80 (weird that I have this saved), but I had a very frustrating time buying two 72 link chains and having to return them.

Try and get one with a black gas cap. I had to change out my muffler and it runs much nicer now.

IMO 20" is way too much for 353...

My 353 will pull a 20" chain but I wouldn't want it on there all the time. Oregon 95vp narrow kerf chain helps. Now that I have the 361 I keep a 16" bar on the 353 and it's terrific. Egonomically this saw is a joy to use.

:rockn:

Joe

I like mine-got it several years ago w/the 72dl 18" bar. Its .325x.050. I've run the 23RS, the stock chain and the chisel/semi chisel from Baileys--liked the semi from Baileys the best. Its a good saw for my needs. I recently removed the base gasket and did a bit of porting/polishing on it to help the muffler mod--runs nicely. I agree, however, that 20" buried in hardwood will work but I'd like more saw for it.

Latest posts

Back