Husky 359 muffler, any updates?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I have a new to me 359etech that came in a score of small engine tools the other day, running great now but egads that cat muffler is obnoxious, it is downright dangerous it gets so hot. So, I've read some older threads, consensus is just replace it, I have found the stock non-cat top exhaust and the euro style aftermarket tube out the corner style. Just wondering if there is a more recent alternative out there since the last time this was cussed and discussed around here. The saw itself seems worth it (light, good power) to at least do a new muffler and lose the carb limiters action. That tube style looks interesting but the tube diameter looks teeny in the pics (both at Bailey's). Not a huge difference in price either. Just wondering if there is anything even better out there, needs no mods or is easier to finish modding, if so, where? If those two are it, which is better out of the box? Thanks in advance!

Mike (homelite 410) builds the nicest ones out
Of stock top outlets...... you might pm him and see if he has any
Mine was first class!

Absolutely the worst muffler I ever tried to work on. I dropped by my local welding shop, asked them to heat the snot out of it, see if it would come apart, and it didn't. Maybe not hot enough. they guy was staring at it, said he never saw anything put together like this. No charge because he couldn't get it apart cleanly. So, I tried cutting it today with my recip saw and metal blade, carefully down the inside seam, cut through the two attachment bolt tubes and the exhaust tube, got it apart. Didn't touch the cat baffle with the cooties, but man, it's still welded in there, can't get it out. Tried prying it out, nope, just mangling it. I giveth up, will order a top tube one someplace.

Attachments

• IMG_20150915_125824.jpg
    IMG_20150915_125824.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 33
Get a AM tube type muff off ebay for less than $30 and replace the small tube with a larger one. The stock cat muff isn't worth messin with in my opinion.

Read this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/359-muffler-mod.260113/#post-4891577
I bought the non epa muffler (359 muffler # 504 70 64 01 that says non epa) took a small oxy acet torch tip and it was very easy to cut the tube off inside the muffler and cut the majority of the baffle out through the big exhaust port hole in the muffler so it is just a big hollow muffler. Then cut a side hole on the top bar side about 5/8" hole put a spark screen and deflector on done. That saw screams now. That 359 with 20" bar is still my go to firewood saw until I get into real big wood.

Exactly what I did Sunfish. The stock 359 non epa muffler has the port on the top of muffler, I just pryed the deflector up a little, and added a second port on the upper bar side. After cutting the inside tube out and cutting the baffle out with a torch. Don't forget to grind off the high and low speed plastic carb screw stops off also so you can tune it good. That 359 Ex- etech saw is a beast.

140717_002_zpscef8b912.jpg

Back