Husky 359 with cat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

314epw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm new to the group so I can use some help.Just got a 359 and it's on its 2nd tank of gas.Saw is running hot. The air filter cover is starting to melt near the muffler. carb is set at 12000 RPM.Gas mixture is at 40 to 1.I know they say 50 to 1, but it just seems too little for the RPM.Where can I get infro for muffler job for this saw? I cut about 20 cords of firewood a year.Anything you guys could teach me would be great! I used to be a mechanic so I have the tools.I really want this saw to run like a raped ape!
Thanks,
Ed

314epw said:
Hello!
I'm new to the group so I can use some help.Just got a 359 and it's on its 2nd tank of gas.Saw is running hot. The air filter cover is starting to melt near the muffler. carb is set at 12000 RPM.Gas mixture is at 40 to 1.I know they say 50 to 1, but it just seems too little for the RPM.Where can I get infro for muffler job for this saw? I cut about 20 cords of firewood a year.Anything you guys could teach me would be great! I used to be a mechanic so I have the tools.I really want this saw to run like a raped ape!
Thanks,
Ed
Might sound stupid but,A guy at the local saw shop explained to me that running more oil will make a saw run hotter,made a lot of sense to me.Maby 50to1 is actually safer? Just a suggestion.Your saw sounds like it is running way to hot,but maby Coveredinsap knows better,Ha Ha. Seriously,hope you the best.

The cats run VERY hot. I had a 359 for a few days and it went back for a 357 non cat. Not saying anything bad about the 359, just runs hot with a cat.
You can get a non-cat muffler and pop it on it 3 minutes.
Good luck.

i run stihl 50 to 1 in my 357.

seems to run fine.i'd like a non cat muffler if anyone knows where to get one.my local dealer said they are no longer available.anyone got one or know where to get one?

I was told on the Husqvarna tech site, that the 357 and 359 are the same muffler, in fact they share the same part number. If it is true then order a pre-cat 359 muffler and you are all set.

tried that.they said no go

maybe your dealer is better than mine.these guys wouldn't sell me the carb adjusting tool either.

hornett22,

I am in CT also. Send me a PM and I will put you in touch with my local Husky dealer. If you went to the one I think you did in Glastonbury, they sell Huskys but really push the Stihls hard...

There are 3 different mufflers shown on the IPL for the 357/359. The only one that is not available is the EU muffler, (the one with the pipe on the side instead of the top port). The non-cat muffler is still available and is half the price of the cat muffler.

my muffler has this # on it...........

503 91 75 01 M

same thing or different? do i hae the cat muffler is what i'm asking.

Back