Husky 36 tuning problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altair

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a Husky 36 that has sat for a few years, pretty good shape with clean piston etc.

Used it for an hour or so on some small wood, ran well, however next time it wouldn't start when I needed to use it.

Noticed fuel line was loose on carb and leaking, plus carb itself had a gummed up screen.Rest of carb looked really clean. So put a new fuel line in, and a new carb kit , thoroughly cleaned out carb with carb cleaner/compressed air several times before reassembling. Its a Walbro WT350.

Now when cold it won't rev without dying until its warm. So if I richen idle jet so it revs when cold, it then dies when warm, as its too rich at idle..got me confused.
Exhaust is spotless inside, really good compression and good power. I've tuned saws for years but this one has got me beat. Once warm and I've readjusted low mix it runs perfectly with instant response, and pretty good power for a small saw.

Any ideas what I've missed? Does fuel mix have much of a bearing on idle? Asking as I ran it on some 25:1 I had for the lawnmower (fresh). Would normally run this on 32 to 40:1 with synthetic.

Cheers!

I bought a Husky 36 that has sat for a few years, pretty good shape with clean piston etc.

Used it for an hour or so on some small wood, ran well, however next time it wouldn't start when I needed to use it.

Noticed fuel line was loose on carb and leaking, plus carb itself had a gummed up screen.Rest of carb looked really clean. So put a new fuel line in, and a new carb kit , thoroughly cleaned out carb with carb cleaner/compressed air several times before reassembling. Its a Walbro WT350.

Now when cold it won't rev without dying until its warm. So if I richen idle jet so it revs when cold, it then dies when warm, as its too rich at idle..got me confused.
Exhaust is spotless inside, really good compression and good power. I've tuned saws for years but this one has got me beat. Once warm and I've readjusted low mix it runs perfectly with instant response, and pretty good power for a small saw.

Any ideas what I've missed? Does fuel mix have much of a bearing on idle? Asking as I ran it on some 25:1 I had for the lawnmower (fresh). Would normally run this on 32 to 40:1 with synthetic.

Cheers!

25:1 is way to much oil,, 40:1 is better,, since you are running sythetic oil 50:1 is all you need,, you will find out it will run right,, i know, i just had a weedeater in the shop that wouldn't run right,, i found out he was running 25:1,, i cleaned everything out and poured in some 45:1 and it ran fine

Back