husky 372 or 272??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northwoods18

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If any of you husky fans were going to rebuild a 70cc saw for firewood cutting purposes which one would it be?? I have a line on some used saws and i'm told i both of these models are in question, just wondering what ya thought, is one any better than the other, or are they about the same saw with a different model number??:msp_confused:

The 272xp and the 372xp is very different saws - not even bore, stroke and displacement is the same.

The 372xp is generally the better one - with the notable exception that it has an inboard clutch vs. the outboard on the 272xp.

Last edited:
would parts be easier to come by for the 372? or just because its the newer model?...just curious, i was under the impression that the 372 was the EPA version of the 272, but hey i've been wrong before!

Totally different saw series. The 272 is a very solid workhorse. 372 makes a little more power. Some prefer the 272 say it handles better others say 372. It's a personal preference. Plenty of parts available for both. Even though I love the 272 I'd suggest the 372.
Shep

..... or just because its the newer model?...just curious, i was under the impression that the 372 was the EPA version of the 272, but hey i've been wrong before!

You are wrong again, they are totally different designs, and it has nothing to do with EPA.

The 372 is a lot nice saw to run. It has AV springs instead of the older rubber mounts of the 272. The felt vibration in the 372 handles is a lot lower then the 272.

Later
Dan

The 372 is a lot nice saw to run. It has AV springs instead of the older rubber mounts of the 272. The felt vibration in the 372 handles is a lot lower then the 272.

Later
Dan

Of course, but I would like to know their excuse for putting an inboard clutch on it! :msp_sneaky:

Of course, but I would like to know their excuse for putting an inboard clutch on it! :msp_sneaky:

In some ways I like the inboard clutch, its much faster to change a chain, less of a hassle to change the rim. Then again what the heck do Know, I like the Jonsered top handle better then the Husky. LOL

I happen to like the 372 family and have several.

The 372 is newer than the 272 family and there is a greater installed base of them.

This ads up to easier to find parts for the 372.

I'd be rebuilding the 372xp; it's is a newer design but has a proven track record. Locally, when pro's buy a new Husky, it's generally a 372. Well-regarded saw.

I really like both. I've seen far more 372's come through my door than 272's. I wouldn't mind spending more time with a 272 for a fair shake but I can't complain about either. Chain swaps aren't a problem, chain tensioning in the side cover of the 372 is nice though.

I really like both. I've seen far more 372's come through my door than 272's. I wouldn't mind spending more time with a 272 for a fair shake but I can't complain about either. Chain swaps aren't a problem, chain tensioning in the side cover of the 372 is nice though.

I am with tk on this i would like to put a 272 top end on a 61 be a nice little sleeper saw.:msp_biggrin:

The 372 will cut a little better. Probably not even that noticable. The 372 will be a lot easier on your body due to the AV. The 372 has an unmistakable cool sound to the exhaust notes. The 272 sounds like a bucket of bolts in comparison IMO. Sound doesnt cut wood though, I just think the 3xx series huskys have a very cool "pop" to them that the 2xx dont have. Money being the same the 372 is a no brainer. If you are on a tight budget and you find a 272 that is less money, you will have a very well cutting saw. The only thing bad thing you can say about 372 is that they are so desirable that it is hard to find even a project saw for short money. In summary the answer is to buy both and any other project saws you can get your hands on. Get a second job if necessary.:msp_biggrin:

Thanks for all the feedback guys!...i guess i will try the 372, i have a good line on some "re-builders" so i'm gonna try my hand at re-building one, what would be the best P&C kit to put in one?? should i stick with OEM, or is there a good A.M. kit out there? I was reading the thread on the Hy Way kit for the 359, does anyone know if they make one for the 372?

Back