Husky 385 oiler - too much oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voytek Jarnot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got a problem with my 385. The oiler works too well and the adjustment screw seems to not make any change. Chain is getting oil, and a bunch more oil just seeps out under full throttle around the bar cover and drips from below the bare out of the saw.

I took off the bar cover and the stamped metal plate that sits between the bar and the saw. Ran the saw that way (without bar and chain, of course) and can see that I've got oil shooting out of a little tube above the bar and also a nozzle of sorts in the case of the saw. The nozzle I can understand - it's positioned in line with a hole in the stamped metal plate - so the oil can get to the bar. The hose above that I don't understand - am I supposed to be getting oil from there too?

If I understand you correctly, the second hole above the oil gallary (for the bar) is the breather line for the bar oil reservoir. Do you have you bar oil adj screw set right?

Christman said:
If I understand you correctly, the second hole above the oil gallary (for the bar) is the breather line for the bar oil reservoir. Do you have you bar oil adj screw set right?

If that's supposed to be the breather then I guess I've got a problem - it sure pumps oil out of there at full throttle.

I've tried the adjuster screw in various positions - it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. Of course, this is a saw I picked up a couple of weeks ago at a pawn shop - so I may definitely have oiler problems - but it does run quite well otherwise.

I really don't know on the 385. I'll check my 395 and see what happens. Someone else might write and say exactly. On my 55 there was a tube that went into the case. So I took that as a breather.

Yeah, I may have to take a picture and post it to clearly explain my problem. I think I'm too new at this to have the vocabulary to express it verbally.

OK Here are some pics that I hope will explain what the oiler is doing.

The circled spots are where I've got oil literally spraying out (when run with no bar, this may be normal).

I don't know enough to know what questions to ask; other than what is the deal here? Should I be getting oil from both spots? The adjustment screw seems to have no (or not much) effect...

Voytek Jarnot said:
OK Here are some pics that I hope will explain what the oiler is doing.

The circled spots are where I've got oil literally spraying out (when run with no bar, this may be normal).

I don't know enough to know what questions to ask; other than what is the deal here? Should I be getting oil from both spots? The adjustment screw seems to have no (or not much) effect...

The image is kind of fuzzy on my old screen, but isn't there a screw missing that holds that inner plate?

B_Turner said:
The image is kind of fuzzy on my old screen, but isn't there a screw missing that holds that inner plate?

It's missing in the pictures, yes; but only because I was taking pics both with and without the plate.

Christman said:
ok, The top one is an oiler. I also think the bottom maybe also. but not positive.

Right, the top one makes sense. It can flow to the oil hole in the bar. To me, the bottom one doesn't really make sense - it's just pumping oil onto the face of the bar.

Voytek Jarnot said:
Right, the top one makes sense. It can flow to the oil hole in the bar. To me, the bottom one doesn't really make sense - it's just pumping oil onto the face of the bar.
the lower one is the oil tank vent.

Dunno for sure and this is just a wild guess and just as much a question, is there a check-valve (like a ballbearing/ spring type thingy) that allows air in only? If there is maybe its stuck open or crudded up? Is it easy to get at and check it/clean it?

Sprig said:
Dunno for sure and this is just a wild guess and just as much a question, is there a check-valve (like a ballbearing/ spring type thingy) that allows air in only? If there is maybe its stuck open or crudded up? Is it easy to get at and check it/clean it?

That's exactly what it is: I found the ipl for the saw.

I twiddled around with it, and it seems to have sealed up - but I need to do more testing. It seemed to be ok when I was running without a bar - so I could see what was happening - but after reassembly, I'm still over-oiling.

I still have the problem that at full throttle I'm getting bar oil migrating up and seeping out at the top of the clutch cover. Anyone have any ideas?

Back