Husky 395xp problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello I posted in a different and somebody suggested post my problem here.

I have 2011 husky 395xp and it won't stay running after making 2 cut on a 40" round red fir pine. Its a heat issue for sure but not sure what it is. It acts like its vapor locking but not sure. I had it in the shop twice for the issue and still not fixed. I'm not sure if it's an emmisions problem or what. It cools down and will fire back up but it has to sit for a good 30min or so.

Does anybody know if the muffler has a built in catylitic converter in it. Also any other hidden emission item on it?

I'm running 100 octane unleaded gas with the husky XP synthetic oil in it. And i am cutting around 7000ft in elevation.

Thanks for the help... Doug

They put a new tank vent in it the last time it was in the shop. Evidently that wasn't the problem cause it did it at the same exact amount of time as the first to times. Do you know if the mufflers has a catylitic converter in it?

Or do you know if the aftermarket mufflers are less restrictive then the stock one?

paging saw troll...

There's no cat on any year 395 that I am aware of.
When the saw begins to shut down does it sound as if it's running out of gas?
I had a fuel filter plug up on my 395 once and had a similar symptoms.
I felt a little silly after the shop changed it out and then it ran beautiful.
Now I change the fuel filters more often.
The 395 is a thirsty saw. Mine once sucked down about 2 gals in a 12 hour time frame.
It was worth it cause I was able to pack 6 cords of pine into a Penske moving truck that day!
(my biggest day ever)

You have 2 threads running on this same topic.

Somebody suggested posting over here also cause there are some good saw guys with good info over here. I am cutting I guess east of shaver lake near Wishon resavoir. It's about 6700-7000ft elevation.

They put a new tank vent in it so I'm asuming they checked the filter.

Pull the muffler, make sure the piston is not scored. Saws lose compression as they warm up, if the compression is marginal to start with, you'll have those symptoms.

Pull the muffler, make sure the piston is not scored. Saws lose compression as they warm up, if the compression is marginal to start with, you'll have those symptoms.

I pull the muffler off tonite and looked inside the muffler to see what was in there. and I did look inside the exhaust port and i did not see any scores on the piston where the rings are it looked good. I only have like 30min on it that I'v put it on it but not sure how much time the shop has put on it.

the muffler has some round tube in right in line with the exit port.

does anyone know what year they had to start meeting E.P.A standards?

I had a similar problem with my 2011 395xp and it was the vent. Plugged from the factory. I understand yours was replaced, but, when it dies, remove the fuel cap. Is there a suction sound? If not then check for spark as soon as it dies.

Last edited:
I pull the muffler off tonite and looked inside the muffler to see what was in there. and I did look inside the exhaust port and i did not see any scores on the piston where the rings are it looked good. I only have like 30min on it that I'v put it on it but not sure how much time the shop has put on it.

the muffler has some round tube in right in line with the exit port.

does anyone know what year they had to start meeting E.P.A standards?

All the 395 mufflers that I've seen has that round tube inside the muffler. I finally cut mine off on the inside. You can add a second port in front of the existing one if ya want to. A 288 deflector fits good right there. I also wouldn't worry about the tube in the muffler,..it's not your problem.

I believe its a fuel issue or coil issue. As said, next time it does it crack the fuel cap and see if they is suction in the fuel tank. After you crack it see if it'll start again. Try choking it as well and see if it'll fire. If it tries to start or does start with the choke its a fuel problem. If it doesn't its probably a spark problem.

Also check for spark as soon as it dies.

Well I dropped it back off at the shop again. told the guy what it was doing again and he said it sounds like the coil. Why did it take 3 times to come to that conclusion is beyond me.

Would that also cause it to not rev like a crack head going after his crack pipe?

I picked my saw up today from the shop and it ran like a top. Cut 4 36' rounds and never died or even thought about dying whats so ever. I am a happy cuuter now.

they replaced the carb on and said there wasnt an issue with the coil.

Back