Husky 445 from Hell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like my old Husky 23 Compact, it would run great then die, crack open the fuel cap, and it would run great again. The lower the fuel level got, the longer it would run. A new fuel cap solved the problem, the cap vent wasn't venting properly, it was less than $10, it would be worth a try. I KNOW your frustration, I'm no mechanic of any stripe, be it saws, cars or any other mechanical creation.
I about gave up on it, but that little 23 Compact is so much more convenient for limbing and small work than that 266XP that I Love so much. It took me awhile to put together checking the fuel, and the saw running good again, at least for awhile. Before I was able to get the new fuel cap, I would run it until it started bogging, crack the cap and keep working, and only half fill the fuel tank, not the most desirable situation , but it worked until I got the new cap. I bought the 23, and the 266 new around 1991, so I figured replacing a fuel cap every 25 years or so was manageable :)

I Hope your problem ends up as cheap and easy to fix, you have already paid your dues to that problem,
Doug

I don't imagine the saw you're referring to has a vented cap. You probably need to pick up an illustrated parts list or a repair manual for your saw. On some Huskys the vent is on the right side of the tank under everything where it's hard to service..

I don't imagine the saw you're referring to has a vented cap. You probably need to pick up an illustrated parts list or a repair manual for your saw. On some Huskys the vent is on the right side of the tank under everything where it's hard to service..

You are probably right about the 445 cap not being vented, it's too early yet here on the West Coast after a trying week. On my 23, it has the cap on top of the tank, and has a porous phosphor bronze filter for venting. Now that I think more about it the 445, has a solid side mounted cap like my 266, Bummer, would have been a cheap easy fix.
I Hope the OP gets it figured out, I was thinking of a 445 in the future, from what I have read, the vast majority of the reviews on them are very Positive. My Wife enjoys our trips into the Forest to go wood cutting, and often grabs the 23 for limbing and small work, when she isn't running the splitter. I was thinking that a 445/16" would be a great saw for her for Christmas, she has said many times that she wants her own saw, and the 445 seems like a great Size/Weight/Power/Price balance for her.

Doug

Get pink camo for her

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

I think that will have to be a custom job, I don't think that Husky is offering that option yet, maybe I should suggest it to them? :laugh:

I see a lot of guys that do custom performance mods on here, I don't recall too many custom paint jobs on here though,
Doug

Actually Steve (s.sidewall) you got me thinking, maybe a Pink Camo wrap, like they use on cars and buses. Anyone ever used any of those wraps? how well and long do they last? How well do they do with some of the complex curves/angles of a chainsaw? what would a small project like that cost? What is involved in removing a wrap, if/when it does get beat up?

I know a lot of plastics don't take paint well, How well does the plastic Husky uses take paint? Is there a reason there aren't more saws customized, some of these guys are very serious about their saws, I'm surprised there aren't more custom painted saws than we see.

Sorry about the thread hijack,
Doug

Everyone has been giving great feed back and ideas. Unfortunately none appear to be the culprit though. I filled it up with gas 75% of the way, ensured the tank was vented, and started it. No change. I ran it without the air filter and got a good shot at the carb and the choke is defiantly going full open.

Good news though, yard sailing today i picked up a 1983 Husky model 61. Needs some minors but it starts runs and has 160# of compression...50$
43b2c44e2b4aa12d99e0f9745685db72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back at the 445, I would suspect a possible weak coil. It does not have a hot enough spark to ignite the mix.Pull the plug and see what color the spark is.At idle it has enough spark but you need a good hot spark to get this thing running properly.I would also give a good look at the plug wire for possible cracks.Plug gap?

Back at the 445, I would suspect a possible weak coil. It does not have a hot enough spark to ignite the mix.Pull the plug and see what color the spark is.At idle it has enough spark but you need a good hot spark to get this thing running properly.I would also give a good look at the plug wire for possible cracks.Plug gap?
The spark is blue, but it could be faint...its hard to tell.

I think im going to buy a new coil on monday, 20$ amazon prime. Yes its aftermarket but it will quickly eliminate the electrical side. And it includes the wire and cap. I've tried different gaps, didnt make a difference

Just to get you good and mad at me, I'm going to ask you a question.How old and at what ration is the mix?If you want to punch me in the nose, then bring it on but I just wanted to cover all the bases. And I did not see this question while browsing through the previous posts of other knowledgeable,polite, and senile members. LOL

Just to get you good and mad at me, I'm going to ask you a question.How old and at what ration is the mix?If you want to punch me in the nose, then bring it on but I just wanted to cover all the bases. And I did not see this question while browsing through the previous posts of other knowledgeable,polite, and senile members. LOL
That's a highly justified question. BUT i will promise you i am the last person in the world that would put/have sour gas into the gas tank going to an internal combustion engine...let alone a two stroke one! I see the damage it causes and it is a huge pet peave of mine.
I use Ave gas in all my two stroke stuff, 50:1 mix with Klotz R50. Ive used ave gas for years and have had great luck with it, and it was refilled recently.

Well i finally got to watch the video, saw is starving for fuel. How's the primer system, does it work correctly?

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk
It seems to be fine. The bulb primes and makes pressure. I swapped the lines just to make sure i didnt put it back together wrong and its definitely hooked up right

I just watched the video. Sounds like fuel deprivation. I would remove the decomp and install a plug. If you still have the same problem then work your way from the fuel filter up through the carb to the intake.

Back