husky 455 up to the job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zackman1801

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Im relatively new to the buying chainsaw thing since ive never done it, but i have seen that the Husky 455 rancher is a decent deal for about $375 in lowes, but can it hold up in the woods, would it be able to run all day and could it fell large trees. They have the saw running a 20" bar but would it have the power to tackle large jobs?

thanks
zack

Im relatively new to the buying chainsaw thing since ive never done it, but i have seen that the Husky 455 rancher is a decent deal for about $375 in lowes, but can it hold up in the woods, would it be able to run all day and could it fell large trees. They have the saw running a 20" bar but would it have the power to tackle large jobs?

thanks
zack

no, it is a heavy homeowner saw. a 20" bar in hardwood is too much for a 50cc class saw, with a few exceptions. This isn't one of them.

Weren't you asking about saws last week for loggin? You only had 2 bills to spend then and everyone recommended acouple saws. You could of had a rebuilt 044 for 275 and been good to go.

if you are going to spend 375 on that pile, get the dolmar 5100 for 20 bucks more. more power, less wieght and pro saw construction

Last edited:
no, it is a heavy homeowner saw. a 20" bar in hardwood is too much for a 50cc class saw, with a few exceptions. This isn't one of them.

Weren't you asking about saws last week for loggin? You only had 2 bills to spend then and everyone recommended acouple saws. You could of had a rebuilt 044 for 275 and been good to go.

if you are going to spend 375 on that pile, get the dolmar 5100 for 20 bucks more. more power, less wieght and pro saw construction

Exactly.

You answered your own question right of the bat: you were looking at the saw at Lowes. Don't be a retard, get a proper saw to earn your living with.

Got one, but use the Stihls for Real Cutting

I have a 455, use it around the farm for trimming apple trees and to cut up the occassional small blow down fir or alder. It is real heavy for its size, starts hard when cold. Cuts fairly well with a good sharp chain, especially in Alder. (20 inch bar, 3/8 pitch chisel chain, Oregon rim and drum) Nice loaner saw if the neighbor needs one. Real easy on gas. Only has one dog, and rather small, not so good.

But, when a large tree is down or it is time to chase serious firewood, the Stihls come out of the shop.

Also use it for limbing the big firs, then migrate to a Stihl for bucking.

I would not use a 455 to make money, I recommend a real pro saw. Find a real saw dealer and have a talk. A pro Stihl or pro Husky is what you need. You need dealer support, as when you have saw problems, the folks at Lowe's will say HUH!!

Last edited:
can it hold up in the woods, would it be able to run all day and could it fell large trees.

That's not what it's meant for, and you will just be disappointed.

The target market for this saw is the guy who cuts his own firewood and wants something more than the typical 50CC saw, but isn't looking to spend $500 on a pro model. It has enough power to pull the 20" bar on the occasional larger log, but is happier in 8" to 14" wood. It's great to run it for an afternoon and get a pick-up truck load or two of wood. And in that mode, they have proven themselves to be dependable saws.

But all day, everyday in the woods? No way.

Stop

I bought one for simple bucking, once... ONCE!!! It only took me about 20 min. of use trying to buck 16" ash, birch, and oak and I thought the clutch was going to burn off of the POS... The power was so weak I've used poland's with more power than that sorry piece of junk. No joke dude, seriously, if you even started to put like 1lb of pressure on the saw it'd bog like a sick dog. Save your $375 and buy 3 poulan's instead. At least you'll know what to expect... Needless to say, after less than 2 hrs that saw when BACK... I did however buy a 266XP and a 288XP from husky that I think are GREAT saws, so you know I don't have some grudge against husky... My other bad experience was with the 137/142 also... But that's another TERRIBLE story. Now I dont' waste my time with homeowner saws. Better off to pay the money once and get something that works with no problems...

:cheers: :popcorn:

I am speaking from expierience not specs. I own a 455,350,372xp,359,Jonsered 630 and a makita 6401. The 455 is a good reliable saw. It is a bit heavy for its power output,but 2 pumps on the primer bulb pull the choke 3rd pull it fires,push choke in, pull cord and it goes. EVERY TIME!!!!!. It is not a pro saw and does not hold a candle to the 372, makita 6401 or the jonsered 630. It has a moderately tough time running a 24 inch bar but it works. It is much happier w/ a 20 inch bar. Your can actually tell a difference in the x-torque engine at lower rpm. I would say the 455 has more off idle torque than any of my other saws including the 372xp. But in the cut it doesnt compare. It is a very good ,reliable saw, but i dont think it would hold up to everyday commercial use. Nor would the 350 or the 359.

I am speaking from expierience not specs. I own a 455,350,372xp,359,Jonsered 630 and a makita 6401. The 455 is a good reliable saw. It is a bit heavy for its power output,but 2 pumps on the primer bulb pull the choke 3rd pull it fires,push choke in, pull cord and it goes. EVERY TIME!!!!!. It is not a pro saw and does not hold a candle to the 372, makita 6401 or the jonsered 630. It has a moderately tough time running a 24 inch bar but it works. It is much happier w/ a 20 inch bar. Your can actually tell a difference in the x-torque engine at lower rpm. I would say the 455 has more off idle torque than any of my other saws including the 372xp. But in the cut it doesnt compare. It is a very good ,reliable saw, but i dont think it would hold up to everyday commercial use. Nor would the 350 or the 359.

Now dont get me wrong the 455 is a home owner saw......But in all fairness how can you compare it to a 372xp or a 6401 or a johnny red 630? There is no way the 455 has any more usable torque than any of the saws that you listed. Not possible. Is the plug fouled on ur 372? Reserve torque is what actually counts. Who cares how a saw revs out of the wood? I use my saws to cut wood and there is no way that the 455 will ever cut even close to any of those saws. I would agree that the dolmar 5100 is a good choice. Or a cub cadet, efco, or john deere 55cc class saw. They are all efcos, just in different clothes.

thanks
zack

What type of large jobs are you anticipating?

5100s

With an 18" bar, the 455 has FAR less power than the 5100S, and the 5100 is like 10lbs lighter, lmfao... And about the same price. Save your coin, stop looking at anything else and go directly to the Dolmar Dealer bro...

:givebeer: :cheers:

You get your butt down here and you can run my 5100 and 7900 for a day dude. No better way to get a feel...

I was showin off my new 441 to a frriend last night and he claims that his 455 will out cut it in 18 in. hedge I think he is full of :censored: but he is sold anothe friend said it isnt any faster than his 290 so i thin that answers the question oh well doesnt it take all types to make the world go round

also isnt there a nice pic of a cracked platic case in an earlier thred from a 455

NEVER buy power equipment from a place that doesnt work on them

Last edited:
$375 for a rancher? You can get a new ms290 for $300 and have dealer support...Not a pro saw but I would rather have the dealer support...and a better built saw I think.

Get the rebuilt 044....

I still say you need the Dolmar 5100s they go for $385 here, I also like the Huskys 346XP The 353 is good. I dont like the Plastic 350 but have herd good stuff from others. as far as support if you take care of your saw it should be good to you. But hey you wont Die with out it for a few days or a drive to get her fixed. I plan on getting a 5100 soon to go with my 7900

Jeff

Exactly. My father-in-law brought his 455 over earlier this week for me to try on a windblown oak. I has his 455 w/20" bar buried in that big oak and the saw did fine. While it may not be a 'pro' saw, for the money it is a decent saw that has no problem whatsoever cutting the hard woods.

in the days before i found AS my 451e was starting to run a little rough so i deciced to treat myself to a new saw, Asked a mate who had been in sweden cutting windblown what he had, 357xp and 372xp so thought 56cc husky if its good enough for him its good enough for me so thats what i bought 455 rancher canadian model 20" 3/8
the first thing i cut was a broken off beech limb 40" across and compared to the 451e it cut like a demon tons of torque!
the local dealer tells me he has sold loads of them and not had any back YET
it paid for its self many times over just wish i had bought the 357xp but i cant complain
if it hadnt been for you lot LOL i would still think it was a decent saw.
Still no husky catalogues in uk but i had a look at the provisional one today the 372xp is still going to be available this year so dont panic

Harsh on the Rancher

Cisco guy, I'm not arguing that the 5100s is the better choice. But you only used the 455 for 20 minutes. No offense, but sometimes you have to let the saw break in. My ms310 and 359 both stalled easily when pushed for the first few tanks and then became good cutters. But I also think it's asking a lot for a 56cc saw to pull a 20" x 3/8" in hardwood.

say what you want about the 455 rancher. it gets the job done. it pulls a 3/8 chain and 20" bar so good its makes a lot of saws weap.

you can cut hellza wood with it.

Back