Husky 51 problems...need your smarts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This arrived yesterday. Started right up cold...good hi idle. Idles too fast so turned down the T to stop chain. Good accelleration until it warms up. Then it dies as soon as you hit the throttle. Adjusted idle and lo screws but still dies. Runs STRONG cold. And it is leaking fuel!! Tried this yesterday and again today with the same problems. Second time around it seems to be leaking more fuel. At first I thought it was leaking from the pickup hose where it exits the tank but now I'm not sure. Could a bad pickup hose or other component explain both of these issues? Where should I start? I appreciate any of your thoughts. Thanks.

Leaking Fuel

10guage,
Well you most certainly know what the anomaly is however,wear is it coming from is my queary! I suspect a cracked gas line from the tank to the carb.I would not go looking for this leak with a lighted match if I were you!
To me it sounds like the impulse line is doing it's intended function but,the gas is now going out side the engine rather than the intended route.
With out more specific information it will be difficult to trace this leak down. Ken

16gauge said:
This arrived yesterday. Started right up cold...good hi idle. Idles too fast so turned down the T to stop chain. Good accelleration until it warms up. Then it dies as soon as you hit the throttle. Adjusted idle and lo screws but still dies. Runs STRONG cold. And it is leaking fuel!! Tried this yesterday and again today with the same problems. Second time around it seems to be leaking more fuel. At first I thought it was leaking from the pickup hose where it exits the tank but now I'm not sure. Could a bad pickup hose or other component explain both of these issues? Where should I start? I appreciate any of your thoughts. Thanks.

I just worked on a 51 a few weeks ago that was doing similar to yours. I found that the fuel line was cracked right where it attaches to the carb. I snipped it off, plug it back up and she ran perfecto..................

kenskip1@verizo said:
10guage,
Well you most certainly know what the anomaly is however,wear is it coming from is my queary! I suspect a cracked gas line from the tank to the carb.I would not go looking for this leak with a lighted match if I were you!
To me it sounds like the impulse line is doing it's intended function but,the gas is now going out side the engine rather than the intended route.
With out more specific information it will be difficult to trace this leak down. Ken
Thanks for the reply. I'll dig into it later today.

THALL10326 said:
I just worked on a 51 a few weeks ago that was doing similar to yours. I found that the fuel line was cracked right where it attaches to the carb. I snipped it off, plug it back up and she ran perfecto..................
Thanks for the information. I have a place to start looking.

THALL10326 said:
you actually wotked on a husky:D my what is this world comming too!! You didn't put a new stihl fuel line on (they are supposed to be better right):yoyo:

fuel leak

baring aside a leakin seal/gasket yes fule line or loose carb or bad carb gasket.:buttkick: :taped: :rock:

havvey said:
baring aside a leakin seal/gasket yes fule line or loose carb or bad carb gasket.:buttkick: :taped: :rock:
Thanks Havvey, I will dig deeper tomorrow. On Fathers day I get to do what I want.:hmm3grin2orange:

havvey said:
you actually wotked on a husky:D my what is this world comming too!! You didn't put a new stihl fuel line on (they are supposed to be better right):yoyo:

Well hell yes I piddled with that Husky. Heck I even cleaned it up and had her running like a champ Havvey. I got no bones to pick with any brand, they all saws to me. Oh and nope, I didn't put a Stihl fuel line on it, just snipped off the bad part of the one already on it and plugged her back up. I did put some Stihl fuel mix in it though. I coulda swore I heard it say thankya, thankya very much when it fire up,;) ;)

Thall said:
I coulda swore I heard it say thankya, thankya very much when it fire up

Actually it was just coughing over the chinchy overpriced Stihl mix.

Why not replace the entire fuel line if it's cracked? If the tubing is so old that its cracked once at the connection its only going to crack again....

Oh, that's right....we're back to the word 'chinchy' again.

coveredinsap said:
Actually it was just coughing over the chinchy overpriced Stihl mix.

Why not replace the entire fuel line if it's cracked? If the tubing is so old that its cracked once at the connection its only going to crack again....

Oh, that's right....we're back to the word 'chinchy' again.

Well Sap the reason I didn't put a whole new fuel line in it was because it didn't need one. It had a little crack right at the carb hook up because of the poor design. It bends like a elbow at the hook up and sure enough its going to crack and it did. Secondly the reason I was working on it is becasue around there are no Husky dealers, we sorta push them out the way by outselling them a 1000 to one. Thirdly I only charged the man $5.00 to fix it and clean it up, now do you think your Husky dealer would do that for you Sap,hmmmmmmmmmm? See Sap you seem to forget I have no bones to pick with any brand. Your big issue with Stihl is nothing compared to what some of your Husky brothern have to do around here to even get one looked at, more less fixed. However they don't put up signs holering no service, they just bringem to me. Everytime I get ahold one I think of you Sap. Hows the hand Sap, put lotion on it today, hmmmmmmmmm,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

THALL10326 said:
Well Sap the reason I didn't put a whole new fuel line in it was because it didn't need one. It had a little crack right at the carb hook up because of the poor design. It bends like a elbow at the hook up and sure enough its going to crack and it did. Secondly the reason I was working on it is becasue around there are no Husky dealers, we sorta push them out the way by outselling them a 1000 to one. Thirdly I only charged the man $5.00 to fix it and clean it up, now do you think your Husky dealer would do that for you Sap,hmmmmmmmmmm? See Sap you seem to forget I have no bones to pick with any brand. Your big issue with Stihl is nothing compared to what some of your Husky brothern have to do around here to even get one looked at, more less fixed. However they don't put up signs holering no service, they just bringem to me. Everytime I get ahold one I think of you Sap. Hows the hand Sap, put lotion on it today, hmmmmmmmmm,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

If it was my saw I would rather you had put a new piece of fuel line in it and charged me $10 or $15 for it. At least I would know that the time I took to take it to the shop and pick it up again wasn't wasted for lack of replacing a $4 part. Jeez Lousie.

Then again, I would just replace the fuel line myself, so the point is moot. (I just picked up some 2-cycle-engine fuel line (to stick in my repair kit), when I got my EZStart handle the other day.

coveredinsap said:
If it was my saw I would rather you had put a new piece of fuel line in it and charged me $10 or $15 for it. At least I would know that the time I took to take it to the shop and pick it up again wasn't wasted for lack of replacing a $4 part. Jeez Lousie.

Then again, I would just replace the fuel line myself, so the point is moot. (I just picked up some 2-cycle-engine fuel line (to stick in my repair kit), when I got my EZStart handle the other day.

Well Sap thats all well and fine. I didn't ask the man to bring it to me, he just brought it in because around here there are no Husky dealers nearby. Unlike you maybe he doesn't know much about saws, wait a minute, he's just like you,lol, messing with ya Sap. Course now you know Sap when I only charged him $5.00 for such a minor repair you have to realize I'm thinking ahead. Should he later on decide to buy a new saw he's gonna remember that little $5.00 repair and clean up. Guess where he's going to come get that new saw, hmmmmmmm. See Sap not everything is done with just one thought in mind. I could have easily throwed in a new fuel line, and all sorts of stuff claiming it needed it and he would have known no better. I just fix the problems as cheap as I can, sometimes maybe too cheap but down the road they pay off. I'm not your average Joe ole boy. Why don't you come in sometime and let me show ya how its done. I'd love to get in your wallet. :laugh: :laugh:

Latest posts

Back