Husky 540 Xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mic687

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got it today using it tomorrow, I do know it seems to be a ripper right off the bat as it revs up quick and holds good revs in the cut. Time will tell if it can hold up and if not I have a 201 to switch back to. The pictures are from some break in cuts on a white oak stem.
rataseda.jpg
dynuby7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeps us posted on the good and the bad. I have one and so far can't complain.

I'm liking mine as well. Not sure about the reviews trashing this model.

mahany3a.jpg
y5udu9ur.jpg
So I removed this maple and the quaking aspen right next to it tonight and had a chance to use the new 540. First off the saw ran real good no problem on any cuts I needed it to do. It takes a little getting use to starting as the switches are totally different. I like that the stop switch is spring return because you don't turn it off on accident. This saw bone stock runs better than a stock 201 the husky revs much quicker and is quicker cutting. That all being said my modified 201 cuts just as good with maybe a little more torque but also feels heavier. The husky is a good saw so far and certainly better than a stock 201 but with a little work on the stihl they both cut very well. I am not going to chip, run over, or sell my 201 but it may stay in the truck for a while.

I like how the front of the case is not flat or half moon shaped if that makes sense seems to allow you to work around bigger wood a lot easier. .. Also this sob oils like crazy I bet it'd oil a 20 inch bar

Some footage from monday, still running in.

Reg what do you like about the husky over the modified stihl. So I guess I should have watched the whole thing as you pointed out some likes. I am with you on the chain speed it's real good and power is good too.I never used the stock chain and will be switching from the Oregon to a stihl 3/8 pico and I think it will really rip. Throttle response is awesome, very snappy. I do like the hook loop for easy on/off the saddle. As for one handing, I do it as do most and if you use caution it's fine. I just cut down a blue spruce and without directing branches and one handing it would take forever. Keep up the good work gov, love the vids.

Bar flicking should work great with that shinny saw, no one handle-ing. :)
To each their own, I'd say. Between Reg and this old coot, there's about 65 years of one handing chainsaws..... though, in my early years, using the rear handled Homelite Super EZ Automatic, and then the Echo 302 and 330, it wasn't done as much.... It's called production..... and I'd wager I can "bar flick" with the best of them.....

After having a bunch more gear stolen last fall, I'm not in the market for a $600 climb saw. But i just got a new 338 for $390. Here's some appx cut times:

Stock 338, stock and new safety chain 14" ~17.5 seconds

Muffler modded 338, Stihl Picco 14" sharpened once 10.5 seconds...... a huge improvement!

200T 16" older chain, sharpened with depth gauges correct 13 s

Muffler modded 192T 14" Stihl picco ~14.5 sec

This illustrates why I'm sold on the light 192T, especially as I have some missing cartilage in my right hand which makes it difficult to work pain free.

I can tell from watching your vid, Reg, that my ported 338 is a fair bit faster than the 540. I've heard it can be muffler modded, but its a job to dismantle the saw to get to the muffler.....
I also saw mweba's before/after woods modding, and that 540 turned into a freakin beast! But I can't see spending 550-600 on a saw and 250 for porting...

After having a bunch more gear stolen last fall, I'm not in the market for a $600 climb saw. But i just got a new 338 for $390. Here's some appx cut times:

Stock 338, stock and new safety chain 14" ~17.5 seconds

Muffler modded 338, Stihl Picco 14" sharpened once 10.5 seconds...... a huge improvement!

200T 16" older chain, sharpened with depth gauges correct 13 s

Muffler modded 192T 14" Stihl picco ~14.5 sec

This illustrates why I'm sold on the light 192T, especially as I have some missing cartilage in my right hand which makes it difficult to work pain free.

I can tell from watching your vid, Reg, that my ported 338 is a fair bit faster than the 540. I've heard it can be muffler modded, but its a job to dismantle the saw to get to the muffler.....
I also saw mweba's before/after woods modding, and that 540 turned into a freakin beast! But I can't see spending 550-600 on a saw and 250 for porting...
I own a couple 192's and although they are good little saws after using a muffler moded 201 and the new 540xp I would be hard pressed to take a 192 back up a tree. That new husky and the modified 201 are way higher production saws. The 192 stays by the chipper.

Reg what do you like about the husky over the modified stihl.

Mic, I like the fact thats its already 'as good' in stock form running a 16in bar. Got some gains yesterday from just pulling the spark screen also. I'll probably run it a a couple more weeks and see how much better it gets before deciding whether to get it ported. Wont cost me more alot to do, but thats just my situation here. If I dont have it ported then thats not the end of the world either....because its dam good as is, so far at least. Cant say that for the 1st generation 201....of which i read Stihl are selling upgrade kits for, which in itself is an acknowledgement of that particular saws shortcomings. Although I hear the newer 201 models are actually improved. I suppose Im just feel a whole lot more optimistic having owned the 540 for two weeks than what I did after the same period with the 201, over 2 years ago now. As a contract climber your topping saw plays a huge part in your ability to put trees down fast, and get paid....so, its quite a big thing really.

Mic, I like the fact thats its already 'as good' in stock form running a 16in bar. Got some gains yesterday from just pulling the spark screen also. I'll probably run it a a couple more weeks and see how much better it gets before deciding whether to get it ported. Wont cost me more alot to do, but thats just my situation here. If I dont have it ported then thats not the end of the world either....because its dam good as is, so far at least. Cant say that for the 1st generation 201....of which i read Stihl are selling upgrade kits for, which in itself is an acknowledgement of that particular saws shortcomings. Although I hear the newer 201 models are actually improved. I suppose Im just feel a whole lot more optimistic having owned the 540 for two weeks than what I did after the same period with the 201, over 2 years ago now. As a contract climber your topping saw plays a huge part in your ability to put trees down fast, and get paid....so, its quite a big thing really.
First thing I did was change the chain the second was pulling the screen. I have used the 540 on aspen, dry dead maple, white oak and spruce, so far it cuts real well and I am happy with the purchase can't say the same on the stock 201.

First thing I did was change the chain the second was pulling the screen. I have used the 540 on aspen, dry dead maple, white oak and spruce, so far it cuts real well and I am happy with the purchase can't say the same on the stock 201.

Back