Husky 55 leaking bar oil / where to start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor77

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an older 55 (not a rancher) and it's leaking bar oil. I store the saw with the bar down (flat) and whenever I pick the saw up (to use it) I lose an ounce plus of bar oil. It runs all over the place. I've had the saw apart - as much apart as I'm prepared to take it - but I'm not seeing where it may be leaking.

Before I take it somewhere and spend 90 bucks to have someone look at it can anyone offer some advice of what to look for?

Thanks in advance!

My 55 leaks like a French whore alsoand has for a while. This is a common problem on an otherwise great saw. It leaks until the tank is bone dry. I have tried releasing the cap after use to try to stop any "siphon" effect with no luck.

I dont think its a pump seal since every drop leaks out, so all I can say is I would have to take half the saw apart to find the leak most likely. I have a special place in the barn with a oil absorbing pad for my beloved 55...

My husky 55 (god rest her soul) was ported by Walker saws in Nanaimo BC. it leaked all the time.I would use oil pick up mats from work under her in the case.
This saw was my girl for sure, a little temperamental,frustrating, but also very sweet at the same time.

My 350 leaked like a sieve since the day I brought it home. Always pissed me off, but the dealer said it was a 'common problem'. I finally got the local dealer to fix it (after they had it for six weeks) this summer. While I was getting pissed off about the wait, I fired off an angry email to Husky corporate about the problem. Their comment to me was: "The manual says to drain the oil tank when not in use." Uh, thanks.

My MS260 leaks pretty bad. I have learned on here if I put the oil pump from the 260 PRO it will probably fix it. I plan on doing that sometime, hopefully something like that will work for you. My cousin has the 455 rancher and I don't think his leaks.

Connor-

welcome neighbor :D

I had the same issue.

has it ALWAYS done this?? or just when it's warm out?

our temperate climate can cause some issues... for instance, if it's cool out when you fill the oil reservoir, and then it gets WARM out (sits in the sun, etc..)

It can actually push oil out the oiler a bit..

check your oil vent. make sure it's clear of debris, make sure it's there, and NOT down into the oil, make sure it is still on the breather nipple too!

I had stored my 55 on it's BAR side, thinking it was a vent through the cap issue.... NO GO. it was actually worse!! drove me NUTS:dizzy: that's because I THEN learned the vent was on the bar side... and routes to above the fill hole on the recoil side. (take the fill cap off, and look up. it should be there...)

the O-rings in the fill cap (even an issue with the fuel too!) can be a problem...they actually pressurize the reservoir!! Which is why they switched to flat rubber washers as a replacement, and on the newer saws...

Quadzillabill- Yeah, great help they are, huh!!

(I have a LT-500R in pieces BTW! I can't seem to get the clutch side of the case off...not sure what you know :) )

Connor- where in MA are you??

J

My 350 leaked like a sieve since the day I brought it home. Always pissed me off, but the dealer said it was a 'common problem'. I finally got the local dealer to fix it (after they had it for six weeks) this summer. While I was getting pissed off about the wait, I fired off an angry email to Husky corporate about the problem. Their comment to me was: "The manual says to drain the oil tank when not in use." Uh, thanks.

Bill- what was the fix??

SawGarage, I'm in Bridgewater. I'll check what you suggested.

Thanks for everyone's help here.

Good luck. let me know how it works out. If you ever need help fixing something, I'm just over an hr from you...:)

and if it drives you too crazy, let me know before it makes it to the Atlantic! lol

come back here soon! (maybe just not too much, then you'll have 20 saws like me :dizzy:)

J

Bar oil is a petrolum product it expands and contracts with the weather, you have a plugges tank vent ot its just residule oil comming off your chain and bar. It all depends upon how bad its leaking.

I used to use a no name brand bar oil that had a very thin consistency and my 340 would leak until the tank was empty. I recently switched to a different brand (I don't have the jar in the house to get the name) and it is much thicker. It pours like molasses but when it heats up it thins out.
Since switching my saw doesn't seem to leak at all.

I don't know if this info will help, but I just wanted to mention it.

Bar oil is a petrolum product it expands and contracts with the weather, you have a plugges tank vent ot its just residule oil comming off your chain and bar. It all depends upon how bad its leaking.

that's what i said ;) cept, it was a bit more wordy, lol!!

J

Latest posts

Back