Husky 55 Rancher.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well I went and did it.I purchased a used Husky 55. The engine is sound as a rock. The limiter caps have been trimmed. Now the big hurdle.Who ever had this saw did not know a thing about a chain brake.I need to replace the clutch, drive pulley and the side cover. My biggest question is how to get the clutch off. From my little knowledge of huskys, I believe that it is a left hand thread. Do I fill the cylinder with rope or can I put a wrench on the flywheel side? From the numbers 1999-9041952 I will assume that this is a 1999 model. Like I said the engine is strong and will now 4 stroke due to a small modification. Any help on this?Also will this saw handle an 18 inch bar? Ken perplexed in TX

The easiest way is with a impact wrench, it will spin right off.
Turn it clockwise,you are right, it has left hand threads.

When you put it back on just snug it up, it will tighten back up on its own.
Dan

If she is 4 stroking,check the air filter first if dirty.If you got the flocked one,remove it ,run the saw and see if you see a big difference in RPM.If yes,throw away the filter and buy a nylon one,will last forever.If filter ok,then adjust the HI speed to get the"right sound".Check also if the exhaust is not blocked at least partially.

Blowdown1 said:
Are the nylon filters a stock Husqvarna item? And why are they better than the flocked ones?

The nylon filters are a stock item but they do not filter as well as the flocked filter. The nylon filter is for use in snow but it also flows better because of the larger pores.

Russ

jokers said:
The nylon filters are a stock item but they do not filter as well as the flocked filter. The nylon filter is for use in snow but it also flows better because of the larger pores.

Russ
But i prefer the nylon and by far because the flocked keep blocking.All loggers around here uses the nylon on every model,i dont think you gonna see more wear with them.

I agree, I far prefer nylon filters...and see little or no increase in deposits on the intake boot. The flocked 357 filter clogs easily...and the Dolmar 7900 one is even worse..and must be cleaned with a fine pointed tool.....but, thanks to Greg at Bailey's, I now have a nylon one..though it took 3 weeks or more to get.

Husky 55

Danl, Your idea worked like a charm. Thanks,

High Octane,
The reason that it is Now 4 stroking is because of an illegal operation that has been performed. The air and gas filters were immaculate. Like I mentioned, this saw engine, has had very little use.
Next project, muffler modifications!

I thought you were supposed to adjust the carb until it 4 stroked.

I almost never have to clean the filter on my 55R. I guess that air injection thing really helps. I take the cover off and its never dirty.
I clean the filter every tank of gas on the 038 and 044.
Dan

Back