Husky 55 roached cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCZ

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Found a Husky 55 to replace one the meth heads around here stole from the shed. Paid a little extra because the saw looked super clean, almost new(2000 model). Ran fine when bought, started to bog/run funny/low power when I got it home. Didn't run it much pulled the muffer, VIOLA!, scored piston. Ring was free, scoring wasn't terrible, compression was at 140. Worked on it with 320/scotchbrite red. Piston is real good, cylinder turned out good except for one scratch that went kinda deep. What do you guys think, gonna work on it some more and re ring it and see what happens. Replacing fuel lines, filter, impulse grommet, rebuilding carb, etc. I can feel this scratch(barely) but when I put the ring in and a bore light behind it, I get no light coming under the ring

I really enjoy this site, so much so that now I have three saws instead of the stolen one. My wife hates you guys. I can see how this gets addictive(and I am a gun guy, I know addiction). Rebuilt a Husky 141 and a PM610, now this one

Attachments

• 55 cylinder.JPG
    55 cylinder.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 26
That will run, but the problem will come right back if you don't determine what made it get hot in the first place.

Thanks guys, the scratch just stood out and is kind of dark. I think I caught it pretty early. But I figure get it smooth, new ring and see. CUINRV, will rebuild all the regular stuff except for main seals. Will run vacuum test when back together. Will run a bit and check compression also

Will do slight muffler mod and no gasket when I put it back together. At best it does OK? At worst have to order new cylinder/piston from one of the vendors? Thanks again

Dont forget to check squish before you assemble with no gasket. Just in case. I haven't assembled a 55 so I don't know if they're generally ok.

Finished up with P&C, got new wrist pin bearing, ring and looks like plenty(.026) of squish for no gasket

Opinions, Permatex red be OK to use for base of cylinder? I wanted to get some 1184 but couldn't find any local and I have the permatex.
Pics 55 muffler.jpg yeah, muffler mod

Thanks Eric, will do, getting antsy, don't need to rush

Latest posts

Back