Husky 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mama

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just installed one of my spare partner 5000 plus closed port top ends on my 55 husky. sure does have more power than the stock open port. A complete bolt on.

Sure must be nice to have a "spare" Partner 5000 piston and cylinder laying around.

I am sure you will not be disappointed with your new "hybrid" saw. I have a 51 with a 55 closed port top end and it does very well for itself.

What's the HP difference between an open port and a closed port cylinder? I can't imagine the saws would be listed with different power specs as they were all 55's..... How big of a difference does it really make?

What's the HP difference between an open port and a closed port cylinder? I can't imagine the saws would be listed with different power specs as they were all 55's..... How big of a difference does it really make?

The power difference is not huge but it is enough that you can feel the difference between the two. A fellow member made a video of himself cutting a squared oak log and the closed port pulled much stronger and the cuts were about 2 seconds faster, he used the same bar and chain on both saws. I have never done a timed cut myself but I am running a 20" .325 b/c in hardwood with no issues at all and my open port can not handle more than a 18" b/c, but does it's best with a 16" b/c.

EDIT:
Since there was not a open port and a closed port offered at the same time it could be possible that the saws could have had different horsepower ratings. The closed port was only offered on the 55EPA from 1998 until 2000 and there were no open port versions made during that time.

Last edited:
I've got one more 5000 closed port top end left as a spare for my 5000 plus,going to keep this one just in case there's a problem down the road on mine.

Just curious, but, are all partner 5000 cylinders closed ports, or just certain ones? Are partner 500's the same thing?

The early 5000's like this one of mine had an open port cylinder. One of the 500's here has one too and the other 500 is stock. Hard to see the difference when the top ends are off but easy to tell when you start them up. The 5000 just revs like you would not believe.

Al
P2240623.jpg

I sold both of my open port 55's, and kept the two closed port models. The open port 55's have a 1mm larger bore, but make less power. They power is much smoother, and broader, but they easily pull out of the high rpm's during heavy cutting.

The closed port models are much "raspier", and love to stay at high rpms in the cut. The power curve is narrower, with a tad less "grunt" at lower rpm's.

I've never really looked at the published power ratings for the 55's between the open vs closed port models. In actual use the closed port models run like Husqvarna's Pro saws without the clutch driven oiler....Cliff

If I put a 5000 closed port cyl. on my 55 rancher, what pistons are available / could I use ?:confused:

There is a thread about that right now. The 5000 pistons are gone and there is no aftermarket manufactures making one either. You would have to "luck out" and find one on ebay or take a piston from another saw and make it work.

EDIT:
Here is that thread
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/171591.htm

Last edited:
Just curious, but, are all partner 5000 cylinders closed ports, or just certain ones? Are partner 500's the same thing?

Early model 5000's were open port , the later were closed I've got an 1982 that is closed. I think the open port models stopped in '80 or '81 I'm still trying to verify that, 500's were always open port.

Latest posts

Back