husky 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torence 20

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just got a husky 55 today for cheap. it had some issues, pulled the muffler and the piston was scored in one small strip rite over some alum. transfer not to terribly bad. so i took it all apart cleand up the piston and cyl. with some acid and scotch brited them. did a pressure/vac test. passed with flying colors. so i pulled the carb. tested it... pulled the carb apart. and it had some saw dust in it. ran it thru the ultrasonic and then tested the carb. it also passed so i put it all back together runs good has 100 psi cold compression. now the questions is. has anyone rebuld a 55 with an after market kit? ive seen some for as cheap as 50 bucks. any reccomendations? anyone have a decent amount of run time on a rebuild

I put the Aftermarket 55 kit in my 51. It has about 125 lbs cold compression. It starts and runs well but I haven't used it much and it has been so long since the 51 went down that I can't give you a good power comparison

just got a husky 55 today for cheap. it had some issues, pulled the muffler and the piston was scored in one small strip rite over some alum. transfer not to terribly bad. so i took it all apart cleand up the piston and cyl. with some acid and scotch brited them. did a pressure/vac test. passed with flying colors. so i pulled the carb. tested it... pulled the carb apart. and it had some saw dust in it. ran it thru the ultrasonic and then tested the carb. it also passed so i put it all back together runs good has 100 psi cold compression. now the questions is. has anyone rebuld a 55 with an after market kit? ive seen some for as cheap as 50 bucks. any reccomendations? anyone have a decent amount of run time on a rebuild

Just put a new ring in it and run it till it pukes. I've got one I did that way going on two years ago, It lives by the wood pile and I use it almost daily.

I put an el cheapo piston kit in a 55 and it seemed fine. I haven't run it all that much but no issues thus far. I think I have maybe three tanks or so through it. The compression you're reading is pretty low. The piston on mine had a lot of wear on the skirt. It was thin almost like the pics of the Stihl 029 I posted a day or two ago. If the piston skirt wasn't so thin, i would've gone with just a ring job but it obviously needed to be changed. Got it off eBay. I think hl supply or something but don't really remember and too lazy to look it up. it didn't cost much.

I tried one of the NWP kits and it never made the power of the OEM top end. I would hit the swap thread or "the bay" for a good used OEM kit. I have had very good luck with Golf pistons and rings although others here do not like them.

I tried one of the NWP kits and it never made the power of the OEM top end. I would hit the swap thread or "the bay" for a good used OEM kit. I have had very good luck with Golf pistons and rings although others here do not like them.

I'm one of those. The thing on Golf is they are a lot heavier than any other brand including OEM. Themain thing is NEVER NEVER use the supplied circlips. They are pure junk. Use OEM or the original if they are good.
Shep

ok thanks for the input guys, i think im gonna run it like it is for now if it will anyways. and then ill put an el cheapo on it for a firewood saw

Back