Husky 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country_Boy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an old Husky 55, runs a little eratic at idle, but cuts through big rounds like crazy when the saw is horizontal. when I am limbing small stuff and have the bar pointed down at an angle it dies on me. I use it probably 4-5 times a year, any suggestions on what it might be? Also, can I still get parts, a new carb, or carb rebuilt kit, cylinders etc. Is it worth it? Id rather wait awhile, budget wise, before investing in a new one.

Thanks,

I am new to chain saws.

Jeff

Check the fuel filter

Check the fuel filter in the tank and make sure it isn't stuck in a nook or cranny also make sure the fuel line inside the tank is long enough I had some that were too short. I hope that is your problem.

Thanks that makes sense because I forgot to mention it ran better when the tank was full, although still not quite right.

Also a new filter It could be something different but try those first. If it has lots of hours the crank seals leak and the bearings wear but stick with the simple things first and no panic

There are still a bunch of 55 parts floating around. You shouldn't have a hard time finding whatever you need. The 55 had and still has a strong following. They make a good firewood saw.

You may also want to inspect the fuel line for cracks both inside the tank and outside leating to the carburetor. You should not have any trouble getting parts for your saw.

Or mention Shindaiwa!

Had the same problem you are having and it was a crack in the fuel line inside the tank. Ran it for a year like that making sure to keep the tank topped off, before I figured it out. Some of us are a little slower than others.

If None Of The Above Works Try A New Plug. Sometimes
The Ceramic Tip Inside The Plug Will Slide Forward When
Pointed Down, Then Back When Leval. Bad Plug.

CB,I happen to own one of these fine saws.After you check the gas line and air filter, I do not think that this is the cause. I MAY be mistaken but from the description that you mentioned it sounds like a "Possible" bad crank seal.When you turn the engine on the side the gas will tend to puddle in the crancase, causing the engine to stall.I may be wrong here but a similar thread was posted some time ago, and the seal ws the culprate.
Another suggestion would to be is get a carb kit for it.Check the electrical system wiring. A bare wire may be grounding out when the saw is tipped.
The air filter has me laughing!

Country_Boy said:
If it is the crank seal, can I get another and fix it, any ideas on where to look for parts.

Welcome to A.S. Coutry_Boy.

Bailey's should be able to provide parts for you, they are a forum sponsor here and Husqvarna dealer, look at the top of this page, also your local Husqvarna dealer will be able to help you also.

Seals are generally available at a bearing shop but you will have to remove them first to get the # of of it, might be best to order from a Husky dealer.

Edit:Jeff regarding carbs, carb kits, cyl. yes all available.

There are some tests to see if the seals are leaking, you could post another question for the helpful folks here to answer, think it is known as a leak down test and can be quickly done at the saw shop.

The part # for both of the crank seals is the same 505 27 57-19. You can get these at your local dealer but I would recommend doing a pressure/vacuum test on the crankcase before you replace them. Seals tend to fail on vacuum. I have attached the IPL for your saw if you are looking for any more parts.

Once again thank you to everyone for their input and help. These internet forums are so valuable, I have learned a great deal about my tractor from the tractor forum I belong to.

One question to kenskip1, you mentioned running the saw on its side, well it seems to run fine in the horizontal plane with the tank filler cap pointed skyward. Does this say anything as far as diagnosis.

I havn't had a chance to look at it yet, hope to over the holiday.

Country_Boy said:
Once again thank you to everyone for their input and help. These internet forums are so valuable, I have learned a great deal about my tractor from the tractor forum I belong to.

One question to kenskip1, you mentioned running the saw on its side, well it seems to run fine in the horizontal plane with the tank filler cap pointed skyward. Does this say anything as far as diagnosis.

I havn't had a chance to look at it yet, hope to over the holiday.

The saws I have had bad seals on run faster or slower when put on their side, depending on which side I move it to(recoil or clutch). You are talking about having performance trouble when you tip the bar down, correct? Does it only give grief if the tank is getting empty? Does it run right with a full tank?

Personally, I would start with the fuel line and filter. If the saw behaves after that, great. If not, make sure not electrical by checking for bared wire grounding when you tip it. If that is good, move to the pressure/vac test and see if it is seals. Good luck.

Sounds like one of the problems I had with the 55 I had bought new. I was unsuccessful troubleshooting so I had the dealer do a pressure test which didn''t turn up the problem, but he suggested trying a carb off one of his saws which fixed it.

That's what I have found 90% of the time

"Seals tend to fail on vacuum."

Had a rather heated discussion about that with a German rep from a company that sells saws that are gray with orange.

:bang:

Not pretty

I believe

I am pretty sure he had the last word and it was something like

"You Americans always up-screwing everything when you understand NOTHING!*

Latest posts

Back