husky 61 fuel tank re-sealing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoiseSaw

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
does anybody know whats good to use to re-seal a husqvarna fuel tank? Or is this one of those parts u aren't supposed to be fixing?

img07777qn.jpg

Personally, I think thats one of those things you're supposed to not split in two, but thats just me. its probably quite sealable, you just gotta get the right stuff to do it with.

It was manufactured in two parts. Why not put it back together?

Someone here has a shop manual with the reassembly instructions. Can't be that big of a deal. I just put a new piston and ring set in a Husky 55 with minimal tools and effort. Or is this a rhetorical question?

thats kinda what i was thinkin too, but im kinda a cheepskate LOL.... im just wonderin what the "right stuff" is? :confused:

Since they come from the factory as one piece bonded together, I don't think they are intended to be disassembled. I'm not really sure what you can use to try and reassemble it. You will need something fuel resistant that will hold the halves together, and seal them. You could have sealed it with Kreem or POR-15 or something similar if you hadn't disassembled the tank. It may not even be a very feasible option to reassemble it. You may want to start looking for a good used tank, in case this one cannot be fixed.

TimberPig said:
Since they come from the factory as one piece bonded together, I don't think they are intended to be disassembled. I'm not really sure what you can use to try and reassemble it. You will need something fuel resistant that will hold the halves together, and seal them. You could have sealed it with Kreem or POR-15 or something similar if you hadn't disassembled the tank. It may not even be a very feasible option to reassemble it. You may want to start looking for a good used tank, in case this one cannot be fixed.
Could it be glued with a plastics glue and sealed with Kreem or POR-15?

Justsaws said:
Could it be glued with a plastics glue and sealed with Kreem or POR-15?

Maybe, I just don't know if it will hold together. I've never tried to split a tank and put it back together before. I wonder if plastic welding would work? For the amount of effort, I think looking for a tank is probably easiest.

Guys... they are thermally bonded under tightly controlled conditions... with perfect edges... and perfect temperature control. It's almost impossible to repair it when like that. Plastic welding, the hot air or hot tip variety would be very very difficult... I done quite a bit, and I wouldn't bother.

Thats about what I suspected, but I was just throwing some thoughts out there. I didn't figure it could be repaired easily enough to be worthwhile.

thanx for your input guys.... i guess i screwed that up.... ill look for a new one soon :dizzy: does any one have a cheep one?

Well I guess if I was to repair this tank I'd be using a product like Locweld or JB weld 2 part epxoy. I have used this many times to repair a cracked tank or to coat a seam leak. So clean the surface completely mix some epoxy and reassemble and cure it should work.
Scott

cuttinscott said:
Well I guess if I was to repair this tank I'd be using a product like Locweld or JB weld 2 part epxoy. I have used this many times to repair a cracked tank or to coat a seam leak. So clean the surface completely mix some epoxy and reassemble and cure it should work.
Scott

While JB etc works for smaller jobs, it's too brittle for a full tank seam. You'll end up with it cracking. The tank material is PA66 (type of nylon) and epoxy really doesn't bond well to it. It is a gas tank.... For the price of used tank, I wouldn't mess with it.

i got it apart with a flat tip screwdriver and about 45 minutes of time :) but i am just gonna look for another tank... so basically i wasted my time. but i am now wiser....

tank repair

done that.....been there.....just go and buy "permatex #1" sealer from an automotive shop........semi flexible,oil,gaz,heat resistant......and Bingo! :)

Finally, a positive solution.

caporal30 said:
done that.....been there.....just go and buy "permatex #1" sealer from an automotive shop........semi flexible,oil,gaz,heat resistant......and Bingo! :)
Boise, I,d give it a try. Some of the folks on this site just know TOO MUCH!:clap:

Latest posts

Back