Husky 61 Rancher and 044/440 info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Husky 61 rancher. Anybody know how many cc's it has and what is the hp it produces?
About the 044/440's. I was looking through a 2001 and 2003 Stihl catalog that I have and noticed that the 044 (2001) and the 440 (2003) don't have decompression valves listed as one of there features. The 036 Pro (2001) and 360 Pro (2003) do have decompression valves as features (as do the 046/460 - 2001/2003 also). Just wondering why Stihl did this - why for those years they left the decompression off of the bigger 044/440 and had them on the 036Pro/360Pro. I e-mailed Stihl earlier today and their response basically was that their current big saws have the decompression valves. Anybody noticed this? Or has this been noticed/discussed before. Or maybe nobody cares... :)

Don't be a WEENIE!!! My 066 has no decompression

valve. Lets me know who's "boss" every now and then. :)

The 036/360 is probably a newer design in which they incorporated it. Don't think it would be a big deal to make a running change though.

Wouldn't discourage me from buying it.

That 61 is 61cc's 3.8cu.in. I think the HP was close to 4. The biggest thing I've noticed since they've brought back the release is that starter parts sales have decreased about 95%.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
oldsaw said:
valve. Lets me know who's "boss" every now and then. :)

The 036/360 is probably a newer design in which they incorporated it. Don't think it would be a big deal to make a running change though.

Wouldn't discourage me from buying it.

It wouldn't discourage me either. I've never started a big saw - my current saw is a MS 260 - but I think I'm able bodied enough to be start a 044/440 without the decompression valve. I'm still trying to decide on a 'bigger saw' - and I've narrowed my choices to a used 036Pro/360Pro or a used 044/440.

Grande Dog said:
That 61 is 61cc's 3.8cu.in. I think the HP was close to 4. The biggest thing I've noticed since they've brought back the release is that starter parts sales have decreased about 95%.

Thanks for the 61 specs.

For me, it's not that I can't start a saw, but even with my 390, the tendon from my middle finger in my palm gets sore when I'm doing a lot of sawing. My sawing goes in streaks, so it's healed up now.

under 100cc's dont really need it unless it is an old McCulloch that likes to try and dislocate your shoulder or tries rip your hand off while starting (I felt the wrath of a 5.0CUI mac once and it got booted a good number of times as a result)

I don't need the decomp...but it does make the MS390 easier on me. I would still like to have an older 044 or 038 though no decomp...no problem..as long as everything is tuned well it fires fast enough that it doesn't make a big difference. Tom, you may be a good candidate for the Elastostart handle...might amke things easier on your hand!

Grande Dog said:
The 61 Rancher was rated at 2.6 kW, 3.6 hp according to CSCC.

I have seen various ratings on the regular 61, from 3.9 to 4.1 hp.

SawTroll said:
The 61 Rancher was rated at 2.6 kW, 3.6 hp according to CSCC.

I have seen various ratings on the regular 61, from 3.9 to 4.1 hp.

Excuse my ignorance, CSCC is what? And can it be found online?

KMB said:
Excuse my ignorance, CSCC is what? And can it be found online?
:eek: Sorry, forgot to add a link, but Timermaster has now rectified that.

There are a lot of info and pictures on old chainsaws on that site. :)

Don't use it to "prove" anything as a fact though, because there are mistakes here and there.

Latest posts

Back