Husky blows up the aftermarket cylinder world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canadian dealers are greedy. Everything is so expensive it's rediculous. When the stihl pistons dropped in cost I expected to see it here. No such thing. It really is time to just order everything state side. Give the dealers here a reason the charge so much. A 372XT P/C here costs as much as a whole saw state side.

I can buy at cost at my dealer and THEY are not the ones making the price. I need a piston for a MS 261 my cost is 120ish while retail is $ 151.56 for the piston and rings. I can tell you for a fact WE wish we had the same pricing as the US did. The amount of saws we condemn is shocking. Mind you there was talk of a parts decrease in price but nothing yet.

I expect that some of the higher priced aftermarket companies may lower prices to create more "spread" again. While these OEM prices are a considerable improvement, some aftermarket sellers are still selling for 1/3 or less of the new "low" prices. I don't think the aftermarket companies are going to go out of business over this. One benefit I see is that dealers may get more repair jobs since the cost of parts and installation may no longer exceed the cost of a new saw.

I would pm you bob, but I know you prefer to just talk over the phone. I'll give my local dealer a shot and see first, they have been good to me, letting me rummage. If they can't or won't give close to your prices, within $20, then I'll call Ya. This is too good a deal to pass up on the chance it's a mess up.

Oh Yeah. I bet that this is a response to all of that stuff that's out there. A lot of their own dealers were buying aftermarket for shop work. Not all of them were upfront about it with their customers either.
I was told once that Husqvarna at times approved of the use of metor P&C as warranty parts. Is there any truth to that?

I don't know about elsewhere, but around here no one deals with Husqvarna anymore because the big box stores shut everyone down. They started selling saws for under dealer cost, so impossible to compete.

Very simple. At least here Husqvarna was seeing their network fall to pieces because of insanely high spare prices and an inflexible pricing policy.
Dealers have to put food on the table like everybody else so they had been switching to Stihl and Echo/Shindaiwa to keep their customers, chiefly gardening/tree servicing firms.
No problems here, as the only surviving Husqvarna dealership in the area would manage to mark up even the cheapest, nastiest Chinese saw to Stihl levels and charge you as much as a Ferrari dealership for parts and service. No small wonder they started selling electric vehicles to stay in business. :D

Now, if only Honda would price spares here at the same level as in the US...

I just bought 2 2153/346NE kits for $215 a piece a couple weeks a go, guess I should of waited but hind sight is always 20/20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husky announced to dealers well ahead of time that there would be the usual parts price increase on Jan 1st. So, when I got back to the store today I went into the dealer site to see how bad it was going to be. Most stuff went up as expected, but what they did with the piston and cylinder kits just about knocked me off the chair in front of the computer. Prices are now comparable with much of the aftermarket kits. In some cases better than the upper end kits from Meteor, HiWay and Baileys. They really don't cost me much more than some of the lower end garbage kits do. Some have gone down over $100. I'm told it's not a mistake and that sources have not changed. But I still get that "I hope this lasts" feeling that won't go away. I even just went back in to check them again. LOL! But, as long as the party lasts, you can get the OEM kits for about what the aftermarket kits are selling for. From some dealers anyway. ;)

Now, this is on the complete piston and cylinder kits. The piston prices really didn't change that much; dropped maybe $5-$10. So, there are a lot of instances where the complete kit only costs $30-$40 more than just buying the piston.

I'll be ordering some tomorrow..........

Better make sure those parts boxes don't have a "Made in China" sticker on them.

I don't know about elsewhere, but around here no one deals with Husqvarna anymore because the big box stores shut everyone down. They started selling saws for under dealer cost, so impossible to compete.

Big box stores here only sell low-end products... at much inflated prices. Honestly, you can get exactly the same Chinese chainsaw for 20-30% less in your friendly hardware shop.
Those places are just so damn expensive here...

I'm always doing p/c, can I start getting my parts from u know? lol how about AT carbs are they still high

Better make sure those parts boxes don't have a "Made in China" sticker on them.

If that was the case, the part numbers would have changed also. Some kits, like the 272 and 288, which are still madel for the South American market, will come from Brazil. But they are made by Kolbenschmidt which has a factory down there.

I have about a dozen "parts saws" that now need to be re-evaluated. And of course, a few weeks ago I bought a Meteor top end for a 272 I've had around here for 2 or 3 years.

Just called my dealer and either they don't know about the price changes or have a Heck of a markup.

All I asked for was a price and if they were using an updated list. I thanked them for checking and hung up.

I did a call to Husqvarna Norway, spoked with the one who doing prices, there is no sign that Norway are included, probleby just US.
That said, when one land get all the benefits I think it make the rest of Husqvarna group question why only US, why not the rest of the world.
He should come and read through this thread.

Personally I stick to my dealer even it's tempting to buy from US.

I guess I don't understand this statement. Are you referring to the aftermarket sales as being the "mom and pop" shops? With the exception of Meteor I'm not sure it would be a bad thing if the "mom and pop" aftermarket shops get run out of business as far as the p/c market goes. How can this be a bad thing? I would think Meteor would have to adjust prices to stay competitive, they do supply a quality product and I believe will still get business.

I think you need the range of competition from cheapest to most expensive in order to have a healthy market.

I did a call to Husqvarna Norway, spoked with the one who doing prices, there is no sign that Norway are included, probleby just US.
That said, when one land get all the benefits I think it make the rest of Husqvarna group question why only US, why not the rest of the world.
He should come and read through this thread.

Personally I stick to my dealer even it's tempting to buy from US.

Perhaps they are following the Honda strategy.
Honda spare parts, be them lawn mower blades, air filters or engine parts, are ridiculously cheap in the US. A genuine carburetor for the ubiquitous GCV160 engine is $20 in the US and €68 here! :envy:
Yes, there are differences between the two due to emission regulation, but enough to justify over three times the price?
I suspect the chief reason behind this is in the US there's a lot more DIY culture. People are much more inclined to fix their machines at home instead of going to a shop where they may be told it ain't worth fixing because spare parts are so expensive. If parts were too expensive, Honda would play even more into the hands of aftermarket manufacturers, interestingly enough all located in a certain place where patents are worth as much as Monopoly money. :D

Perhaps they are following the Honda strategy.
Honda spare parts, be them lawn mower blades, air filters or engine parts, are ridiculously cheap in the US. A genuine carburetor for the ubiquitous GCV160 engine is $20 in the US and €68 here! :envy:
Yes, there are differences between the two due to emission regulation, but enough to justify over three times the price?
I suspect the chief reason behind this is in the US there's a lot more DIY culture. People are much more inclined to fix their machines at home instead of going to a shop where they may be told it ain't worth fixing because spare parts are so expensive. If parts were too expensive, Honda would play even more into the hands of aftermarket manufacturers, interestingly enough all located in a certain place where patents are worth as much as Monopoly money. :D

The only reason manufacturers are reducing the prices is because they're not moving as many units. Stihl reduced their piston prices last year because of this. They won't admit it, but it's obvious. Why lower your prices if the market is paying it?

Honda's GC carbs are about $20 because it's a POS carburetor and the only way to fix them is to replace them. Rebuilding them will never be perfect.

Is Husqvarna reimbursing dealers who've spent big money on stocking their shelves? This could actually hurt many mom and pop shops if they don't. I know a few who have several big ticket cylinder kits in stock at $375 each.
I can see this leaving the dealers room for profit though.
:laugh: Once you buy it, forget about it.

Spike, check and see if it was just chainsaw parts that the price went down on. I got a nearly new looking 130BT blower here that appeared to snag a ring and destroyed piston and cylinder. I was getting ready to throw it in the trash after I seen how much a new P/C was for it.

I would fix it if the price wasn't close to 3/4 the price of a new blower.

Just left the dealer and when ask he did not know about this. He began checking his e-mails from Husqvarna and found it. Updated his computer and said "yes he is correct". Price change took place Jan 1. He said if I had ordered after 1st. the p/c would have cost me $98.00 !

Latest posts

Back