Husky chain too soft for hardwood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mike

Mike Maas said:
I don't know if this is the case with you, but genrally, if the chain is getting loose quickly, it's dull.
Is the paint all burned off your bar and does it smoke while you are cutting, lol.:)
i think this is a dig but could be wrong...the bar is almost new, it doesn't smoke or go blue and i hand sharpen before every day in the woods

It wasn't a dig at you personally, because I don't know you, it was a dig at the type of guys that run a very dull saw and their chain hangs down like 3". The cause and effect isn't clear to them.

I don't sharpen my chains at any given interval, I sharpen them when it's no longer floating down through the wood. If I need to start pressing and prying against the dogs, even a little, THEN I sharpen it.
Try running a chain even a little dull, the first thing that happens is the chain goes slack.

i didn't think so, when cutting hard maple the chain could be touched up at every fill, as that is one of the hardest types of wood we have locally. when i get time i'm going to compare a new oregon chain/hand filed/and gypo's square filed.

smokechase II said:
Fire ants can be heck on a bar/chain with their building of nests just under the bark.

Haha... and on your legs while you're cutting it. Freakin' hilarious to watch guys cut a tree with a nest at the base. HA! There's a case for using a full-wrap if I ever heard one. Avoiding a fire ant nest!

We knocked the bark off most of the pines we cut, it was so loose that it made your dogs useless anyhow. Some gnarly bugs under there, I tell you what. Most of the hardwoods still had fairly firm bark, and were usually not that dead, just broken over or blown down. Didn't notice much in the way of inclusions under the bark. Most of the fire ant nests we came across were in the ground.

Well are you guys still trying to figure out if husky chains are softer then sthil carlton, oregon.Heres one ,any body ever use windsor.Now that was good cutting derable saw chain.You know what.If you want to saw wood with a saw you got to have a chain on it.When its dull you have to sharpen it.Fact.I use what ever is handy at the time I need one.Later Don.

I don't doubt that there are varying "hardnesses" amongst the various chains manufactured out there. However it seems totally absurd that largest manufacturer of saw chain makes a product that is too soft to cut hardwood. I don't seem to have any problems with Oregon/husky chain.

Windsor chain

I have had good luck with Windsor chain in FC. Just bought some Windsor SC and Stihl RS to try also. I havent even had to touch the windsor up very often compared to my Ore 72. But then again I have learned to be alot more careful with the cuts now too. Is Windsor chain made by windsor or is it out sourced too, like husky, woodsman etc? Dont seem like to many people here even know or have tried windsor. Why or why not? Seem like good products imo. http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=405494&postcount=9
http://www.windsorforestry.com/products/saw_chain/chisel_chain.shtm

Latest posts

Back