Husky L65

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primer

Reaction score
First off, I am new to the site. So howdy. Anyways, I have a 1976 Husky L65 saw. It`s been acting up. I`ll run it for awhile, then it quits. After awhile it`ll start back up. Well yesterday it wouldn`t start back up.

I pulled the cover, checked for spark, nothing. When I removed the test plug, the wire clip came with it. I pulled the boot, and the plug wire itself is pretty well shot.

So here is my issue. When I got this saw from my buddy, he told me that the ignition unit is obsolete. The saw was his dads for thirty years, it quit sparking once before, the shop had one on the shelf for parts, and told him that was it. Does this sound right? Can I replace it with something else? Change the plug wire? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

If it is just the wire you can replace it. There are a few threads that can explain the procedure, maybe someone will be able to link to one.

Welcome to Arborsite! You can get an aftermarket electronic ignition for this saw from fleebay. It will do wonders for your spark. If it's just the wire... replace it.

I'm not sure if the plug wire can be replaced on that model. Kinda like the 480/2100 family. The wire is formed or siliconed in the module. I'm sure it can be done but not as easily. Maybe someone else will know more. You should try post in the swap meet thread to see if someone can help you out with a good used one. If it were me i would probably just fit the boot back on the original wire as good as i could then make sure the kill switch ain't the problem and run her. On 2100's the kill switch ground and main lead come out of the module side by side. One time i had an issue with them grounding together. The module was sending spark up the kill swich wire. I was out in the bush with very minimal tools and no electrical tape. I ended up doing a redneck fix. Just wedged a cigarette butt in there :laugh: ran the rest of the day like that. Not sure if the 65 is similar but could very well be considering the vintage of it.

The wire is replaceable. Plug wire is part # 501531601 and is available from this website's sponsors.

Back